A thread to demonstrate why Manga are BETTER than Anime

Are you more a Manga Enjoyer or a (Shameful) Anime Enjoyer ?

• Manga Enjoyer

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I am Shameful (Anime Enjoyer)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Enjoyer²

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I don't know what the hell I'm doing here

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Contributor
I don't like Anime. Or maybe, I'd rather read the Manga.

Manga are great, you can read at your speed and can stop or accelerate your reading. You can really savour or swallow up this media.
In a lot of cases, reading the manga is better but not always.

I really enjoy Mob Psycho series. And I watched really good Anime addind something else like Houseki no Kouni.

Am I the only one with this opinion?

Double-page supporter
I also prefer to read manga than watching anime, but it's because my ability to concentrate is not really cooperative and it's easier to "read images" than watching something. And also because reading is faster : i read a full tankobon in approximatly half an hour, which is nearly equivalent to 2 or 3 episodes anime (really variable depending of the serie, i know).

But there is some genre who are best fit for anime. Like Action Shonen or Fighting mangas : fight are really dynamic things, which is better suited for animation than static images. In theory, and you need a good animation for that, so practically... Also, 4-koma comedy fit anime better than manga. For most 4/8-koma i've read who had an anime adaptation, i've always prefered the anime. Maybe it's because the 4-koma format is not really readable, the gags are better in animation, or it's the adaptation who make everything more fleshed out.

And sometimes, animes are better than the source original for various reasons. Like FMA : the first anime was better ! Or a lots of old anime were better than the source manga, because the anime added more content. Like in the Sakura card captor anime, Utena or Sailor moon (the manga was a mess, i should watch the anime entirely).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
i think that anime has higher highs but also lower lows. manga is constrained by its medium, which, while not inherently a bad thing, means that it will never be able to evoke responses both as intense and widespread as anime. the typical amounts of man-hours that are put into each medium are also proportionate to their respective potentials.

that being said, there are definitely creative and engaging methods of storytelling where manga has the advantage. however, effective conveyal of a story through manga can't be directly translated into anime, and failure to envision not only an apt translation, but an expansion on the source material, is where the 'low' lows are often created. (that, and horrible production schedules.)

Contributor
my ability to concentrate is not really cooperative
True there is also this point.

i think that anime has higher highs but also lower lows.
Yes and at the same time no. Because it's way easier to upload on internet a manga, it can be really bad. For anime it's shitty because shareholders or production committee don't really care about the artistic aspect, they just want money.

Dex-chan lover
Yes and at the same time no. Because it's way easier to upload on internet a manga, it can be really bad. For anime it's shitty because shareholders or production committee don't really care about the artistic aspect, they just want money.
i agree. maybe a better way i should put it is that the minimum effort to make an anime is much higher than the minimum effort to make a manga. so when you get an anime that's trash, it's far more sinful (to weebs) than a trash manga.

Dex-chan lover
All of you are wrong,
novels are superior
to both medium.

araragi-platinum.gif

Group Leader
I generally prefer reading, so if possible I prioritize written media.
Also I prefer western animations from a technical point of view.

Group Leader
i think that anime has higher highs but also lower lows. manga is constrained by its medium, which, while not inherently a bad thing, means that it will never be able to evoke responses both as intense and widespread as anime. the typical amounts of man-hours that are put into each medium are also proportionate to their respective potentials.

that being said, there are definitely creative and engaging methods of storytelling where manga has the advantage. however, effective conveyal of a story through manga can't be directly translated into anime, and failure to envision not only an apt translation, but an expansion on the source material, is where the 'low' lows are often created. (that, and horrible production schedules.)
Wuh.
This guy just made some comperhensible argument. What happened, bro. Is there something wrong?

Jk aside.

You can see those in shuumatsu no valkryie netflix .ppt animation

Dex-chan lover

What wrong with you? Did you eat something bad? You actually made a reasonable argument and articulated your point clearly with no shenanigans. Im worried.
wreck-it-ralph2-vanellope.gif

Dex-chan lover
I prefer manga over anime because sometimes I feel like I can feel the artist's "spirit" when I read panels, like in Bleach or Bakuman.
Personally, I don't really like VAs with high pitched voices in anime, so that's another plus for manga, to me. :wowee:

Dex-chan lover
Do both. Hell. Do all. I got the time for them anyway. Just gotta be good at time management.

Dex-chan lover
No one's pointed out yet that a lot of anime are just commercials for the source material, toys, and merchandise and only last a season or two.

Last edited:
Group Leader
No one's pointed out yet that a lot of anime are just commercials for the source material, toys, and merchandise and only last a season or two.
Mostly because a lot of manga are commercials for the light novels and only last a volume or two.
Additionally, animations for the sake of selling gadgets is a common practice throughout the world, so it's somewhat of an industry standard.

Users who are viewing this thread