A Villainess No More - Ch. 14

I love seeing everyone be like, "HOLY SHIT SHE"S NOT ACTUALLY EVIL" lol

@Jeikob - Honestly, I don't really look at the flags (country) anymore, I see which group is translating it and that becomes the basis of my decision. Groups such as "Secret land," "LunaLotus," etc are usually immediately bookmarked as these groups rarely pick up duds.

@icekatze

I can totally see where you're coming from and I agree. The thing that keeps people hooked on this particular trope is not from, specifically, the draw of the setting, but more the character-driven drama that can arise from such a trope. There are dozens of villainess-esq comics, but each one brings something different or unique about it's character or setting to the table. I was expecting, from what the premise said, that the MC's main struggle would be with being bothered with how people perceive her and actively trying to change that OR her relationships with other characters. So far the LI seems very safe, the staff just seems to gossip, and other characters introduced (like the butler and the female knight) seem very one-dimensional. We're already 14 chapters in and very little has happened, no both an event scale and a character establishment scale. It seems like a lot of the 'roadblocks' put in place for MC, so far, have been to establish that nothing but her own inability to correct people is her fault - other people are at fault for gossiping, her sister is at fault for not sticking up for her, etc etc. I hope that the story has some actual development in later chapters.

Any time this kinda dress-up scene comes up, I always wonder what historically they actually did for dress fittings. Six inches is not a small adjustment; that's practically two (or more) whole sizes different, by modern systems.
Additionally, with the price of fabrics etc being so high, I would think it's more likely that a muslin of cheap cloth is made to demonstrate the fit and overall drape, then a proper dress made of the fancy stuff once the client chooses the design.

Also surprised that the wedding dresses are not all white; that's a Western tradition, but this is based in a Western-esque fantasy world, so...

@missmercurial

Right?! 6 inches is a HUGE adjustment (even if it were cm or something instead)

I feel like what you said about muslin would be much more realistic ^-^

Maybe the author just wanted to draw a bunch of pretty dresses? But the setting/tradition of "making 200 wedding dresses before you even talk to the designers" seems pretty ridiculous

Thanks for your hard work! I really enjoy how... undramatic a lot of this is? Like most people are reasonable people and she's a good person with bad publicity who knows it, so it's nice to see people just mostly handle their shit.

Contributor
@missmercurial:

I thought the six inches was because the original measurements they had were actually for her sister, but I could be reading too much into it.

With regards to the dress colour, my mental image of a medieval wedding does not have a white dress and, indeed, a quick trip to google gives, from Wikipedia, the explanation that, "White became a popular option in 1840, after the marriage of Queen Victoria to Albert of Saxe-Coburg, when Victoria wore a white gown trimmed with Honiton lace."

Finally, I had assumed that the fully pre-made dresses were due to massive over-consumption by the nobility, a raw display of wealth and power that one could afford to have all these dresses made and then choose only one to work with and throw away the rest—a sort of a disappointing thought with regards to how this man is using his tax money, actually, really. The author might not have thought through quite just how expensive it would be, though.

@Pokari: Oh, TIL about dress colors! Thanks :D
I think I made that assumption about the measurements because the designer says "Please allow me to confirm your measurements once again." But your assumption could also be plausible lol!

As someone who works in the fashion industry, specifically in bridal, I cringed a bit. I know I'm just nitpicking at every little detail but for anyone curious.... The biggest mistake was that she had to take it in 6 inches in the waist. At most, dresses should be taken in an inch or two because every inch or 2 is a different dress size. Meaning, the dress was made so that the waist was the same size or even bigger than the boobs. If she really did have good proportions, the dress would fit perfectly. One of the biggest problem in the fashion industry is that we use specific mannequins to make clothing. Obviously, nobody's body is perfect, and the mannequins/dressforms tend to be specific proportions with "good" proportions. Which is why all model's bodies look the same because they all have the same size/proportions as a mannequin/dressform. And for those in the comments saying the dresses are colorful for a wedding, historically, wedding dresses were colorful. Typically, royals and nobles wore purple and gold for the wedding represent wealth and power.

Also fun fact:
Modern weddings rarely have pure white dresses. They look almost blueish gray on your skin/lighting. You have to have a specific skin tone in order to pull it off or else it would have a harsh contrast against you skin. That's why almost all dresses are ivory. Ivory looks white against your skin until you put it against something that's actually white.

@Hinohana

That's interesting! Thanks for sharing. Six inches does seem like a lot. I'm not in fashion and can't sew or anything, but even I paused at that ridiculous number. I guess the author wanted to emphasize her slim waist? This and the matter of style preferences also show that the designer did not do her research properly...

Dex-chan lover
@Hinohana I was actually wondering if this might be a horrible mistranslation. 6 centimeters would be a little over two inches, which would be slightly sloppy but not unreasonable, and 6 millimeters would be a quarter inch. Chinese authors usually stick to either metric or, for historic or Eastern Fantasy stories, traditional Chinese units.

Users who are viewing this thread