A Wicked Tale of Cinderella's Stepmom - Ch. 31

@valley_pauper right? the flirting and putting on the charm is fine, i think it's actually kinda cute the way she shoots him down all the time. however i'd find him less off putting if he were occasionally more flustered by her, or something.

@sheepdoge exactly! If he was occasionally flustered by her, I'd find him more relatable! Though someone who persists in constant advances after repeated rejections are incredibly annoying and demeaning in real life, and not flattering like they're supposed to be presented here, but still, if he wasn't so smug about it all I'd probably be able to let it slide.

@valley_pauper well, that sorta depends (the repeated flirtations i mean) some people find it charming. here it's not quite as flattering but i think that's because it's (whether intentional or not) coming across as something distracting from what is arguably the biggest strength for this series; her relationship with her daughters. i don't mind a cool suave love interest, but if he's cool all the time then yea it's hard to relate. (maybe if when he's away from her we see him occasionally be at a loss for words and he simply is able to be suave when she's around but no.) the rather smug vibe too is kinda a turn off, but i think it'd make for a much more entertaining dynamic if she were actually saying aloud what she's thinking about him

@sheepdoge ah, yeah, people do have different types, so some might find it charming, imo I just find it offputting (repeated flirtations after rejections) since it shows that person doesn't put stock in what you say - I don't have much patience for "playing hard to get" and find that in real life people usually just use that as an excuse to not take no for an answer. But I digress - for the story, I agree, so far most of the time he just ends up distracting from us seeing her relationship with her daughters, which is definitely the best part of the series. and I agree, a cool and suave love interest can be very interesting! as long as I like the character; and in this case, he's just been generally unlikable to me so far, so the cool and suaveness just ends up being another annoying aspect to him.

as for a more interesting dynamic if she said what she thought of him aloud - I agree! and that also makes me think that I'd probably like their interactions a lot more if they were outright antagonistic towards each other, lol

@valley_pauper that actually wouldn't be such a bad romantic dynamic if they were more prone to butting heads. though that sort of relationship has to be carefully written because if you end up writing it to where one side is presented as the one in the right in these situations you unintentionally make them either more or less sympathetic than desired.

that said, them throwing jabs at eachother in a cordial way would be nice, it'd be reminisce of taming of the shrew or something similar.

OK theory time!
What I said about Ash looking similar with the prince and their mansion previously resided by the queen dowanger - there is a possibility that Mil's timeline happens after Cinderella got the prince.
My hunch is the queen is Cinderella and Walton is the fairy godfather.
It was mentioned that she believes in destiny which could mean what happened at the ball in the Cinderella story.
Walton's confusion of the "eldest" Barnes could mean that he is an older being.
Also, consider the ton of privilege as he strolls around the palace despite having a mere title of a Baron and a traveler at his belt could mean as a cover to have him around Cinderella.

Really wish we knew more about who she was before becoming Mildred, but I love her regardless 😍

Users who are viewing this thread