A Wonderful Boyfriend - Vol. 4 Ch. 13

@aiea imagining someone bitterly reading a shoujo manga just really tickles me šŸ¤£

I feel like this comment section is a lesson in divergent views on how to navigate courtship. If Naoya actually likes Nonoka, and I really don't know if he does, he is so subtle about it. Yes, he probably gave her the tickets to keep his promise, but given some of his past behavior it might have been a subtle attempt to reach out. As if to not give up hope (see end of previous chapter). But Nonoka on the other side has ZERO EXPERIENCE WITH MEN. So if he gave her an opening she was oblivious to it, and as she's already feeling low self-esteem in comparison to the ex AND questioning Naoya's feelings for her...and his emphasis on "friends", it's easy to understand why she would get cold feet about confessing. Like sending yourself to the slaughter.

Now, Nonoka is not blameless. She's messed up too: agreeing to pretend to go out with Shohei was the biggest mistake once she became aware of her feelings for Naoya. Since she hasn't explained the situation to him, it's reasonable that he would think they are a legitimate couple--he even questioned her confirming that she wouldn't go out with someone she didn't like.

I think it's unfair to put the responsibility of being brave and confessing solely on Nonoka. A lot of girls in her position wouldn't. Does her hesitancy reveal a weakness in character? Yes. She's not perfect--who among us is? I've written before that we get frustrated when it seems like the leads are making mistakes, but from their position it might seem like they're dealing with the situation as best they can or know how. I think there's an important lesson on empathy to be learned here. What frustrates me about Naoya is his INACTION. He actually tried to show some initiative this chapter which was nice to see...but then the way he handled the ticket. Idk if it was playful or spiteful or what. That guy is so confusing it's no wonder Nonoka doesn't know what to do.

@Mangagirl07 i completely agree. šŸ˜Š we read because it's fun, right? why that person brings such hostility to the comment section of a cute shoujo is beyond me... had to block them because ew.

the zero experience thing is exactly what i am saying. i feel like a lot of the fault falls on her, but she's literally the poster child of sweet, innocent first love. her problem lies in her being unknowledgeable about this stuff. overall, i think that they are both failing at this because neither wants to express how they feel without certainty of the other person's feeling, which is leaving them at this standstill. i am also frustrated about naoya because he is confusing. even as a reader, i get confused, lol. so i can only imagine how she feels. even though he did that stupid promise to give her a ticket, it's very obvious that it symbolizes something else to her. this man who she likes is essentially setting her up with a date with the second male lead. imagine if the roles were reversed; naoya got a girlfriend, and she gave him the ticket. the comments would be screaming about how stupid she is.

on another note, i will be super annoyed if she ends up going to his house in the next chapter and sees him with the ex-fiancƩe, lol.

@aiea so, I just reread most of the series (I'm working from home but don't have to be "live" except Wednesdays so I've got time on my hands), and I think Naoya might be as clueless as Nonoka. It's mentioned at various times that he's the kind of person who would agree to go out of he's asked. And he has this super aggressive ex... maybe he's at a loss as to what to do. He's asked her out, told her he hoped she'd like him... maybe to him he's already put himself out there and doesn't know what more to do just like Nonoka šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø these two idiots šŸ¤£ let's see what they do next, shall we?

@Mangagirl07 thanks for rereading because i've honestly forgotten lots of little bits along the way. i can't remember, did he ask out the ex because she liked him? did he like her too? they're definitely idiots. we shall see! šŸ˜¬

@Mangagirl07 @aiea
Don't waste your time reading or even replying to that one rude person's comments.
When he open his mouth he literally NEVER says anything good about those mangas he read. And he seems to often pick a fight with another readers. So better ignore him. Trust me.
I had to block him ages ago (from another reader's advice)

@aiea Hosoya (is that his name? Eriha's bf) says Naoya doesn't turn down those who come or chase after those who leave or something like that. I guess I kind of interpreted that as him not really pursuing relationships. No confirmation about whether he confessed to Eriha or not, but given HER personality I feel like it was probably on her end to start and definitely on her end to... end.

Rereading made me miss our earnest heroine. I feel like love and being afraid of getting hurt has made her timid-- she was so honest in that conversation in the cafe with Eriha...I hope she comes back, our plucky Nonoka!

Thanks @mayadee šŸ˜š

why are you like this Naoya šŸ™ƒ man also i feel so bad for Shohei hes such a good guy too mad you had to be the 2nd ml šŸ˜” hopefully we will see Shohei finding another love

fuck it, I can't take this anymore. In the span of 2 chapters everyone in this manga has passed my irritation threshold, including that black-haired friend who randomly sabotaged the MC at her doorstep.

This manga was quite promising at the beginning, and now it's like it's making up for all the cheap plot devices, reverse character development, and contrived drama that it didn't resort to initially with a vengeance. I'd be sadder if I wasn't so pissed

how come all shojo are like this... like really good chemistry at the beginning n then it turns to a total shit show

I really loved this manga in the beginning. I thought itā€™d be different. But this has become a total disappointment. Iā€™m not even annoyed with Kozakura. Being with a person like Naoya will obviously fuck with your head. I donā€™t get why everyone is putting the weight on her shoulders when naoya keeps giving mixed signals. Shouhei clearly said that he confessed to her. So was that some underhanded trick by naoya to confirm whether or not she accepted? WTF is up with him playing with her constantly like that. I get he is that way but when it comes to the person you like you dont play mind games with them. And what the heck was that kiss?? Even Kazakura isnā€™t upfront with this dude. When she asks him why he kissed and he says crap like that, the obvious thing to do would be to ask him whether or not he likes her in plain and simple terms. And Iā€™m surprised that kozakura who is so steadfast when it comes to falling in love and thinking about others would go for shouhei just because he said that heā€™d be okay with being the second choice despite kozakura still being in love with naoya. There is the option to not date anyone. I donā€™t get this unhealthy plot device in shoujo manga. It only lessens my respect for the MC.

I know all of this is to create conflict but the reason why I have a problem with these developments is because the author has given zero reasons to justify why the characters choose to act this way. Maybe apart from kozakura because mindgames lol.

Itā€™s a pity because these two have such good chemistry. I thought their transition from friends to partners would be different as well.

Thank you for the translations and everything.

@Mayadee thank you! they were so hostile for no reason. i'm usually hesitant to speak my mind on comment sections but i thought shoujo manga would be a safe space... silly me.

i blocked that person too. glad we're on the same page and don't bother wasting time and leaving insults to strangers!

If he likes her why not making move. My gosh your making the MC give her all and it feels like they are blaming her. She as well give all her signal to thal ML and what does he want? Wait for her? If that guy is still confuse as hell she better end up with the other guy!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread