Ad Astra - Scipio and Hannibal - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

I admit its been years since i last read (or listened to the Hardcore History podcasts) about the Punic Wars, so my recollection is a bit hazy. But reading this, i felt like i was reading some bizarre alternate reality version of history...

I thought i was up for some historical manga, seems i guessed wrong

Fed-Kun's army
I really love his story. Granted, this era was perfect for psychopaths though.
When I learned of the story of Scipio and Hannibal in high school, I was immediately enthralled with it. It's super unfortunate for Hannibal though. He's considered one of the greatest military commanders in world history, but
for him to be betrayed by his own people. I mean, I get it... They were tired of war.... What a result.
If he was simply born a few generations before then, I'm sure the way the world looks now, would be completely different.

Edit:
Also, the main thing that irks me about the story about these two. Everyone always sees Scipio as better, because he ended Hannibals "campaign" against Rome. However, Hannibal was far superior to Scipio in everything but resources. He had far fewer resources compared to Rome, and kept them on the run for a long time. If it weren't for the sustained use of Fabian Tactics*, Rome would probably have fallen far before Scipio ever invaded Carthage.
I think that the industrial might and political will of Rome was the real key to their victory, rather than the brilliance of Scipio. However, the winners are the ones to write history.

Fabain Tactics = The Fabian strategy is a military strategy where pitched battles and frontal assaults are avoided in favor of wearing down an opponent through a war of attrition and indirection.... Which the big mighty Rome did to handle the withering resources of Carthage.

History note: given that the manga says the Roman consul (pg. 24) is Caudinus, this likely is referring to Lucius Cornelius Lentulus Caudinus (not to be confused with Publius Cornelius Lentulus Caudinus, who served as consul the next year).

In case anyone's interested in researching the history. :)

Dex-chan lover
ngl that backstory on Hannibal as a baby was badass but at the same time so ridiculous that it made me smile

Dex-chan lover
I've watched a overly simplified documentary about him. Now I want some more

Users who are viewing this thread