Ad Astra - Scipio and Hannibal - Vol. 10 Ch. 63 - Nero's Revenge

As someone who doesnt know roman history (history class in even an elite australian high school was pretty shit in my day), im surprised he lost this way.

Double-page supporter
So we get to see the adaptation of gladius hispaniensis? Sweet!

I love it, thanks for your hard work.

Just seems a bit odd to me, that Nero had all this time, go up the hill, reform his army, charge without H. Making a move, esp. Since they mentioned a few times he was trying to finish things quickly...

Dex-chan lover
It is not easy to notice things happening during a chaotic melee... commanders don't possess bird eyes like in RTS games

For the most decisive battle that ultimately decided the fate of the Italian peninsula the manga sure did rush through it. I would have expected it to be given as much attention as Cannae.

Double-page supporter
Honestly, I would've preferred if Hasdrubal have won and we would've had a different cover. I know Hannibal has been consistently been victorious from the beginning of the manga but there just seems little hope that he can even mount a counter attack to balance between the opposing sides. I guess this is karma seeing that he's killed many beloved ones under his own supervision but it sucks because I was just warming up to Hasdrubal as a character and would've liked to see Hannibal mount a stronger strategy with more troops. Can anyone spoil me a little bit whether he would ever get reinforcements? Being outnumbered and with few generals must suck massive ass when you're in a war with the strongest empire.

@_hng_ That's the reason why Hasdrubal lost. He was already at a strong disadvantage and had hoped he would finish it before the romans caught on but this goes to show how strong of a card reconnaissance is. Originally I thought Nero had lost the moment he went uphill because leaving your troops behind is extremely detrimental to morale which would lead to a quicker massacre to his men but Nero was quick to deduce a strong counter to this surprise strategy and was able to rally his troops to win the day. Hasdrubal made a strong bluff in order to cover his weaknesses (unreliable elephants and outnumbered) so his defeat was inevitable the moment Nero saw through it and called it out.

Contributor
@Rosen_Ritter welp, you can read the wiki article, some books or watch some vids, but lets spoil you a bit if you want :D

Not only he didn't get his reinforcements, but he was ordered to return to carthage, just like Scipio wanted.
This war is one of the most interesting ones in Rome's history, they were so close to being annihilated so many times but they didn't just because Rome had a knack to get soldiers out of her ass xD.
Both generals were brilliant as well, and sadly both suffered the same destiny and maybe even died in the same year.

I strongly recommend reading of this entire war, it is really interesting.

Dex-chan lover
Well that was kind of anticlimactic, Nero just went up a hill, back down, re organized his army, and then even flanked Hasdrubal, and Hasdrubal didn't even got to react.

That's it, that was all it took, time to pack your bags Hanny my boy.

Dex-chan lover
Just realize that the gladius doesn't exist yet. Apparently it was adopted around the time of the late Second Punic War

Users who are viewing this thread