Ad Astra - Scipio and Hannibal - Vol. 12 Ch. 74 - Human Principles

Dex-chan lover
Nice chapter, @Hox: You and your team are GODS amongst men! Thank you for the translations! <3

Dex-chan lover
It's diverging slightly in the details from generally accepted history to speed things along, but the feel of it and personal interactions are still great. Since this looks to be going directly to Zama with no interlude, I do think it does some disservice to things since the original peace treaty being broken was an important factor in the face-to-face. A few chapters for that seem like it would have been worth it. But this still gets the principle actors into place for the big finale.

Thanks so much for getting this seen through, what an adaption!

The forecast for the next chapter is sunny with a high chance of bromance between Scipio and Hannibal ;)

@ zanonyn

Yeah, since Cannae this manga has been going faster and faster. Not sure it is just the author wanting to get to ( in his opinion ) the good bits or if he got a friendly reminder from the publisher that going slow could mean a untimely axe in the middle of the story :/

Double-page supporter
That's the most impressive flex I've seen for a guy who literally revealed his hand to enemy spies just to intimidate Hannibal.

Dex-chan lover
@rrolo1
Dunno, but given the author's attention to detail early on, major improvements over the course of the series, and time spent on even more minor setup events, I suspect it's the latter and there was some pushing to finish. If so I'm bummed but also sympathetic, a lot of great series have gotten the axe with barely even the most minimal time to whip some sort of ending together. And if I'm realistic, it's a wonder that something like the 2nd Punic War even got this good a manga adaption at all stretching across 13 volumes. Even one more volume could have made a big difference, this is the first instance where I think the rushing genuinely is too bad since that Scipio first offered very generous terms and Rome was fine with that, then Carthage breached/turned it down is really important context for what happened later.

But sometimes it really can't be helped. Just a shame for such a surprisingly awesome rendition.

Edit to add: though again, this is all supposing that's being skipped. And it seems like it's setting up that way, but maybe instead it's just a tweak to have Hannibal be involved in the initial treaty too, and then he's going to get screwed by the politicians (which definitely did happen in general), then the final face off. With a bit of liberal time skipping, maybe that's just barely possible in a longer volume along with Zama. I think there's 7 chapters left. So like, peace, treaty, rebuff, that could maybe be rushed in a single chapter. Then five chapters for Zama and aftermath, and a final one for epilogue. I'm not going to spoil myself by looking at the raw again :)

Users who are viewing this thread