Akatsuki no Yona - Vol. 33 Ch. 188 - Chasing Eyes

Group Leader
@danaxf4 First, thanks for getting me to think about this passage, which was quite thorny and got me thinking about it a whole day.

Now, let's break this down.

In the first clause, it's a simple correction, but I disagree with the strength of your choice of conditional. I did forget to account for it, but として isn't a plain "if", but a foregone assumption/conclusion, so I corrected it to "seeing as".

The second clause is where we diverge. You probably interpreted this as Yona seeking to mete out retributive justice to Soo-won due to her use of 溜飲を下げる, as opposed to the "passive" 溜飲を下がる. However, I stand by my choice of words (though I toned it down to "derive satisfaction" instead of "rejoice") based on the meaning of 因果応報. In all sources I've checked, before and after your comment, I found this syntagma to mean not the kind of retribution associated with revenge, but a karmic, "divine" justice akin to the English "chickens coming home to roost". So I'm convinced she's referring to his dying of his illness, in which she has no part. A senpai who helped me think about this found a sentence with 下げる that has a passive meaning, too.

As for the part on mourning, 哀しむ can mean both, so it's your preference versus mine. I think she refers to his fate and present state, you think she refers to after he dies. As I'm the one translating this, I'll stand by it.

The last part is the hardest one, though the structure of the sentence in so simple. In all likelihood, we're both wrong.

Both you and I made unwarranted changes of frame of reference. You made Soo-won the target of her 待ってと願って. And I used a rare meaning of 待つ, "to trust, to place hope in". In any other circumstances, I wouldn't have given your translation two thoughts as the correct one, and it's probably what I'd have written, too. The problem is, Yona has never asked Soo-won to wait for anything in the entire manga. So 願う in this sentence can't be "to ask, beg". It has to be "to wish for, want", which is what I went for. Unless it's not Soo-won whom she's asking.

My senpai came to the conclusion that, since no change of frame of reference happened, Yona's still talking to herself and about herself, as in the previous page. I agree with his interpretation. Thus, the likeliest translation is "I just went and told myself to wait". May I also add that your version failed to account for the negative connotation of てしまった, which means Yona thinks of that action as ultimately mistaken or a cause for regret.

It's still a little vague what she means by that. My guess is that she regrets having convinced herself to adopt a wait-and-see attitude regarding Soo-won (perhaps instead of seeking to confront him about the past sooner, or maybe regarding her feelings before he betrayed her). But it's okay, it's probably vague and unclear for the Japanese readers, too.

I've made a v2 here reflecting these changes.

Well, I learned something new, thanks to you and senpai.

As for my own opinions and notes, I respect your view on them, but I'll ignore it. I like to write my thoughts in the margins when I'm translating. It's one way I enjoy this hobby.

P.S.: I prefer discussing translation issues in private. Shoot me a DM next time, please.

Dang that Japanese translating is hard it seems I have found a new appreciation for all the work y'all put in wow

ive literally commented this every chapter but i will say it again - i literally hate this arc so much

"i can't feel sorry for you either" at least yona doesnt give a RAT about rat sowon and his impending death. like the whole body guard thing - did he hire the bodyguard from chapter 1 to kill yona?? or to scare yona so sowon would be her saviour on purpose? im not sure and it doesnt even really matter at this point anyways sowon is an emotionless psychopath to me

might have to take a break from reading until this arc is over.. just cant stand seeing sowon HAHAHAH and also can't stand the emotional angst of her separation from hak&dragons whew

thank you for the translations though no matter how frustrating this arc is <3

sometimes i read comments and wonder.. are some people really reading the same manga???? they pull the most nonsensical theories and talk like their baseless theories are the truth it's not even funny(that's why i wish the manga will end soon)
read the manga without inventing nonexistent stuffs from your imagination cuz you wish these imaginations and theories were a real part of the manga, also using them to attack?? this is plain stupid and delusional lol
And about soowon, if soowon ever wanted to kill anyone he would've killed them ages ago but he protected them many times(it was shown by the mangaka herself multiple times already) he’s not a boring cliche evil antagonist, so trying to paint him in the way you WANT (which non of it exist in the manga just your imagination)cuz you hate this character and can’t acknowledge that you’re being totally wrong is really ridiculous, like was it ever that deep? and we will get the answers about everything at the end no need to waste your energy hating on fictional characters, just pay attention to everything & focus while reading so you won’t miss some great and important parts & you won't end up being a clown, or take a break or stop reading it if you find it so bad.

Btw thank you for translating

I disagree that Yona is "throwing away all her progress". Even if she was, healing and growing is never a completely linear process anyway. A small relapse that she's fighting out of on her own own wouldn't invalidate the progress so far.

For one, surroundings are powerful memory triggers. She's wearing the same clothes, seeing the same walls, smelling the same smells... As when she was a completely different person. That can't NOT affect her.

Second, there's no obvious physical enemy here. Every evil she's fought so far has been solvable with some physical action: killing or incarcerating a physical abuser, or helping cook or care for the sick. This is the first time she's dealing solely with a mental/emotional set of enemies. They are not physically harming her or her group, and it's not always easy for people to see the emotional damage they are receiving by being isolated as harm that deserves to be addressed.

Third, she is slowly learning politics as she goes through each of her trials. This is the most political challenge yet, and since there's no clear abuse of others to make the choice easy for her, she has to work through more of her feelings and learn more about ruling than ever before. Give her some time. No one works through that much trauma and self-introspection instantly.

Lastly, I disagree that taking the dragons and running away again is the right choice yet. She has a chance to get some answers and affect the politics of the nation. Everyone is physically safe and cared for. None of her reasons for agreeing to this compromise have been negated yet. She would have to come to the conclusion that emotional abuse is occurring before she would be willing to sacrifice the peace in their current lives for another precarious life running from soldiers on the road.

I get it. Yona is back where she started. And the things she will do different now will show us her character development.
Nice idea, but bad execution. This makes it look like Yona is in love with Su-won again.
Her line of thought itself shows how flawed this is lately. This is not Yona.
This manga became very annoying. It's not because of the plot or anything. I understand the author and his plans, on paper at least. So I know. It feels like someone different is directing this now. This is not the manga I used to read.

Double-page supporter
The only thing that I don't like is that Yona and Soo-Won conversation lasted so little. She could talk to him about so many things...

Dex-chan lover
I appreciate the translation but I wish you’d leave off your commentary, it’s distracting.

I dont know why people are suddenly liking soo won like bitch fck him and let him die. Is he dying a slow painful death? So fcking what. Why is soo won getting screen time. STOP

Users who are viewing this thread