Akatsuki no Yona - Vol. 34 Ch. 197 - Unsteady Handwriting

Group Leader
Updated the chapter again. Nothing that would change the main contents, but one part of Il's letter has been substantially changed. Il didn't say he thought everything would happen as Kashi saw. He said that he had thought she could see everything. In other words, he was expressing his shock that she couldn't tell he loved her, thus compounding his own sense of regret for never telling her clearly. He left her to figure it out for herself, believing she could due to her clairvoyance. The relevant passage is on page 21.

After such undeserved praise in the comments, this correction is a little embarrassing, but one can only correct one's mistakes and hope not to make them again.

That was a great chapter, but that memoir pretty much confirm Soo-Won won't be killed... I've been wanting to see him die for 197 chapters now...

Evil Twin, thank you so much for promptly posting this translation, and I like your comments and corrections. I find them helpful and interesting. I’m obsessed with this manga and am super happy to get to read it when you post. Thanks!😀

Thanks for the translation & thank you mangaka-sensei... and one more thing.... yea i still hate Soo-Won btw

see? all the things ive said before is correct, who's that someone who called me out before that my conclusion is wrong? jokes on yall😅
my instinct really is 99.9% correct at all times.

To whoever thats telling the commentary to stfu, you stfu and buy the chapter and translate it yourself. Why are yall so entitled.

And evil twin, Thank you for all your hard work. I enjoy the commentary, and so do others.

this translation is genuinely so beautiful oh my god, it's such a pleasure to read
thank you so much for translating!

This translation is better compared to the previous chapter, its awesome thank you so much!

Yona IS BAAACKKK, oh yes! LOL
And yes to the panel where Hak is holding yona's hands. Gad i love Hak. and I miss the happy hungry bunch. I wanna take them away from the castle, tho that is where they're the strongest, but everyone is getting in between I hate it.

So who's the shield and sword? Any theories?

Huh.. that changes things. So Il was aware of all that. Huh. It does explain more his behaviour towards Soo-Won and non-violence propaganda.

But... That makes me dislike Il all that much more, and he is unforgivable that much more. To knowingly fail as a person, that's a personal choice. I don't care about that, he can enjoy his guilt and bask in regret all he wants. I may have even accepted and pitied him, maybe even felt empathetic if that had been the case. To knowingly fail as a king until you're slain, you just accepted the fact that you deliberately killed your populace who was at no fault. The heck he means he doesn't want to kill a second time? He killed hundreds and thousands in one fell swoop. What the heck does that say about you who has prayed for the welfare of your kingdom all these years? What good deed does it do when you're not even trying attempt to secure your kingdom? And then you so easily ask the Gods to save your kingdom and people. Ugh. That's... disgusting? That's not even pitiful anymore. It's tantamount to saying that because I am sinking, I will take the ship down with me, as opposed to because my ship is sinking, I will sink with it. Damn, this chapter has painted Il as so selfish!! I mean now it just feels that Soo-Won was bestowing mercy upon Kouka by killing Il.

Wow.. I'm shocked at my own feelings here. I never thought I'd feel so strongly against a character who hasn't even been painted as a villain, and instead prefer the route of a character who actually has been painted as a villain.

Heeeeh... Sugoi na, Kusanagi-sensei. Though I doubt she was aiming for this kind of sentiment.. yabai.

Apologies on the doublepost, but I just finished reading all the comments. I wonder if Kusanagi-sensei sensei was hoping for that onion run. I can only see the other side. No tears here, still the revelation of disgust.

@Sayorii-chii
Agree with you.
And yeah, Yona has really grown so much. This unveil is such a complicated mess of feelings, damn, I wonder in what light she now sees both Soo-Won and her father. There's her own memories of time spent, what she has witnessed on the ground, and then these past accounts. I doubt she would forgive Soo-Won. I don't want her to either. His action, per her stand would still be unforgiveable. But she can move past that and still try to understand him. Same way that Soo-Won boxed her out of Il's role/sentencing.

Remind me when it was prophesised that she'd be Queen? Was that explicitly said? Or was it an expectation based on the previous King Hiryuu's trajectory?

@raineight
Aye indeed. Coup d'état ain't an easy task to pull off. It was a strategic decision made, gotta see it through to the end. He was indeed hoping to avoid dragging Yona in, but them fates!

And aye indeed, I honestly don't know what he was teaching her as a father even if he was so hell bent on prepping her to take over with the help of the four dragons. Like he thought she'll have an epiphany and her wish will be enough to bring Kouka back to life? Gah, Il has slipped even further down in my vision. Ugh. He kept her sooooo shielded from the world, how the heck was she expected to run a kingdom? He was far more cruel to her than Soo-Won knowing what was about to befall Yona and failing to prep her for that eventually. Gaaaaaah!!!!!

Zeno couldn't be incharge remember? Else he'd have continued to watch over in his town after Hiryuu and the dragons had died. People feared him as unaging, unchanging and it would have led to a cult worship. He'd end up replacing Hiryuu as a God in charge of Kouka with the priests having their way. I really wonder how or whether at all Zeno's term on Earth would come to an end. Once again, he has friends, or rather family now. Once again, he'll have to lose them to death and age. Immortality is indeed a curse. Mortality, perhaps, just as well.

@monozuki
Yes, Soo-Won is fascinating. It's very difficult to portray such a complicated character and not lose track.

That way, Il, too, has now become a very complex character. Perhaps it's this complexity that Hak felt and admired in Il. But he only knew the sense of Il as he reigned. Not with any of this back story.

Still, Il remains, for me, a despiseful character.

@greatninja3
Interesting theory. I thought it was just the plague though? But fascinating take.

@Kendama
Yes, still unsure whether Soo-Won may have read this memoir or not. Or Il's letter. I wonder though, if knowing or not knowing the contents of them would have made any difference. In any case, it would have been posthumous when Soo-Won would have finally gained access to the castle documents. The only affects would be the surety/confirmation of his death by the affliction, and his handling of Yona and Hak. But then again, the country comes first than any personal relationships.
This chapter does seem to set it as a given that Yu-Hon did indeed kill Kashi through repeated mentioned. So I'll say I'm convinced too, unless another revelation happens. Better to be surprised than hold false expectations.
Given Soo-Won's intelligence, why would he not be in control of the mobilization against Kai? Although, it does seem that Kye-Sook has been a bit more influential, perhaps since his headaches have started. But it's still currently in the context of defensive measures, not as plunder. We don't know yet what the winning against Kai may imply: additional territorial control or another vassal nation that retains its autonomy.. or something else. Also let's see how the defeated Kuel-Bo is now positioned.
Ch 12 "unstoppable scorching wave of bloodshed" doesn't necessarily imply that Soo-Won was the propagator. Ref the alternate/doujinshi angle I mentioned in the 196 discussion. The country was already crumbling. Soo-Won at the helm still may not have sufficed to hold fort. He literally had no allies except the Sky Tribe and the alleyway gang. Il hadn't staged the ground for any alliances either. So bloodshed was anyhow imminent. Yes, Soo-Won would have gone attack mode and furthered scheming strategies for quick wins, but in that scenario who wouldn't? Only Il, and he too would have been backstabbed soon.

On prophecies...
So the inherent nature of a prophecy is that it is an end, and the means to reach that end don't matter. It is a fated eventuality, come what may. Fine.
On defying prophecy and hubris.. why can't that still be a valid action? As a human, your core desire is for survival. So it's quite natural to want to fight against it if you're not in agreement with said prophecy.
Two strands here: one of Yu-Hon & Soo-Won; the other of Il.
i) The headstrong ones are out to prove their point and relevance of humans as a species that can survive on its own without any help from fantastical forces. That's their trajectory. Let's see how it plays out for Soo-Won.
ii) With Il, he had submitted himself to the fate of the sword. Sure, fine. No problem. That's entirely his decision based on his character. What I don't accept is what comes with this acceptance, him willingly failing the people of Kouka just because this judgement was decided, and setting no ground for Yona beyond the swordpoint. He had that much foresight provided by Kashi. And please don't say he had no prior training as King. He would have been given, being royalty, but he chose not to take those by preference. Even Yu-Hon kept pulling him to try this and that with him and he'd always decline. As a guy who had submitted to the temple, he should have worked more for the people, knowing he would die soon. That's not really defying the prophecy though is it? You're working with it.
And then to know your daughter will be facing a harsh reality, how could you keep her so sheltered that she's a dumb nitwit noone can give two hoots about? With the way she was, she could have fallen off a horse and died. End of story. Whattt was he expecting Soo-Won to do after he killed him? Build a shrine and pray to gods? The obvious thing to anticipate given what he's seen and read of Soo-Won is that he would go after the throne, which immediately implicates Yona. So the obvious thing to do is to lay groundwork that Yona can take advantage of after his death. That, had the need for a sanctum other than Hiryuu Castle or even Kouka may ever arise, she could turn to friendly alliances and be saved. But he failed to forge any of that, save for Wind Tribe. What if Wind Tribe had also fallen, though? What then? If she were to gather the dragons, did he ever bother to identify those places where the families may be residing? Yona had to do all that herself. I feel he really failed as a father too, not just as king.
It's what any terminally ill parent will want do for their kid. More so when they have resources to exploit. Even Yon-Hi was thinking about how Soo-Won would turn out after her death. She felt respite in the fact that perhaps she'll die before Yu-Hon so Soo-Won would still have someone, though we know better. Il didn't need yo do anything for himself or as salvation, all he had to do should have been for the sake of Yona. He should have made amends with the Tribes at the very least, one way or another.

Power Uploader
@AstralRealms Lest I become too repetitive, I'll try to change tack a little.

In general terms, I think you and I are being generous, in our counterfactuals, to the side we favour. You imagine favourable outcomes and noble intents in Soo-won's usurpation, betrayals and militaristic calculations. I point out how lucky he was that Yona was there and imagine the counterfactuals in case she weren't. And for Il, I set much more store by the preservation of peace than you do, and fault the Tribe leaders while you fault Il.

Let me say this once more: I'm not saying that Il was an effective king. I'm saying that nothing he did justified putting the country, and the entire continent, in danger of imminent war by botching a transition of power via an usurpation. Nothing Soo-won's done so far nearly convinces me that he's more effective than Il, because his vaunted achievements are mostly either Yona's doings, or his success at putting out fires lighted up by his usurpation. I'm not into praising arsonists for putting down their own fires.

Look at how you play down what he did in Kin Province. I've said this before: using the nadai merchants as a proxy for Kai and an excuse to invade a province ceded by an international peace treaty is basically the same as if the US were to invade Mexico to put down drug cartels. It only serves to ignite a war where there wasn't one, and to show everyone you don't give a damn to treaties signed in good faith, meaning that you aren't a reliable partner and putting all the other countries even more on guard against you. Soo-won has a right to capture and imprison any Kai merchants in Kouka territory, or to impose a trade embargo on Kai, but not to invade it. Securing borders is nonsense as an excuse: Kai is divided in two, struggling against nomads and in no position to invade Kouka. Soo-won IS an aggressor, pure and simple.

And the same for invading the Kai Empire now. Don't give me this "defensive" excuse. It doesn't cut it. Kai itself (Kwelbo is another story) has not attempted anything against Kouka, and we already know from Yoon's explanation back when they went after the Iza seed that currently the empire is in no condition to wage expansionist wars. Soo-won IS pursuing his goddamn father's plan to invade the whole continent. Why do you think the author dropped that piece of info in chapter 196?

As for his vaunted domestic policy, I don't see it. If you remove Yona and the Fire Rebellion from the equation, Soo-won's only domestic policy action was to shake Geun-tae out of his lethargy by that silly tournament and convince him to invest in his wife's tea trade. Seriously, is that what makes a great king nowadays? He could have done the same thing in a friendly visit as an aristocrat!

Is it possible that Il's inaction could have led to his being brought down by another Tribe, such as Fire? Yeah, so what? Chapter 17 shows clearly that the Sky Tribe has held royal power for only 250 years. A bloodless change to another tribe would be just routine for Kouka. No need to involve the rest of the continent or Kouka's innocent citizens.

I'll repeat here a point I made a long time ago. Kouka and the surrounding countries form a linguistic continuum. The citizens don't give a damn who is in the government, so long as they can go about their business in peace. Belonging to Sei, Kouka, Xing or Kai doesn't matter to them. We've seen that in the Kin province episode, and earlier when Yona visited Sen province and villagers whose area had belonged to the Fire Tribe in the past were scared of that very Fire Tribe. So if Il's inaction resulted in the Tribes seceding or being annexed by other countries, so what? As long as it's bloodless.

I think the closest you got to a real argument was saying that Il should have trained Yona to govern. Let's leave aside the fact that he wasn't governing much so there wasn't much to teach. I can easily interpret that as a way to keep Yona inconspicuous. You don't realise that Il didn't know to how many people the information of her being the reincarnation of the Crimson Dragon King had leaked. Kashi died because of that leak. If he raised an assertive princess like Kouren, that would make Yona into a target. We get the impression from Kum-ji's words in the Awa Arc that even regional administrators like he didn't get anything more than a glimpse of the princess from a distance. Il was sheltering her because of the prophecy. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

And frankly, the problem with prophecies is that they happen no matter what. In that sense, Il's winning against Soo-won, even now, because everything Soo-won has done has been conducive to Yona's rise. Il was a willing puppet of the gods. Soo-won is an unwilling one. Like PurpleLibraryGuy said, he's only making things harder for himself, especially if he has read the memoir and/or the letter. Which is why I think he's even more dangerous and in need of immediate removal if he has, because that means he refuses to accept the prophecy even in light of the evidence that everything is coming true. The appearance of the Four Dragons should have been a warning to Soo-won to cede power immediately to Yona and Hak and find a quiet place to die before he plunges Kouka into a major war. Or maybe become their prime minister for a short time, or replace Joo-doh as Sky Tribe General, that's something Soo-won could do to use his supposed administrative skill before he kicks the bucket.

In the end, everything will happen as Il envisaged, and Kashi. Soo-won cannot do anything to stop that from happening, and the more he tries, the worse it gets. THAT is what we call hubris.

If you told me that Soo-won had to kill Il to set the prophecy in motion by forcing Yona to rise to the occasion, I'd agree with you. That vindicates Il, after all. But it's no excuse for everything he has been doing since that. Il knew that: he told him to go ahead and usurp the throne, adding that he would die by Yona's hands before long. I wonder whether this last part is also a prophecy of Kashi's, in which case I'll probably go out dancing in the streets, or just Il's interpretation.

I'll add one thing. Il had the advantage of a much more powerful prophet than Yona's. Ik-soo's prophecy is cryptic and resembles the Greek ones. But Kashi's weren't like that: they included names, deeds and dates. She told Il everything in advance, apparently. Those must have been ten difficulty years for him.

"You imagine favourable outcomes and noble intents in Soo-won's usurpation, betrayals and militaristic calculations. I point out how lucky he was that Yona was there and imagine the counterfactuals in case she weren't."

How is having a witness to your murder lucky? Especially a witness you would have preferred not to kill?

"Let's leave aside the fact that he wasn't governing much so there wasn't much to teach. "

That's a terrible defense.

"a way to keep Yona inconspicuous."

She's the only child of the king. It is impossible for her to be inconspicuous, or to have an apolitical life. This is foolishness.

"an assertive princess like Kouren, that would make Yona into a target"

Pushover princesses are even bigger targets, because you can push them around to get what you want.

Power Uploader
@raineight So you've cherry-picked a few of my contentions in a long text. I suppose either you agree with, or haven't found a way to counter-argue the rest, but either way I'm satisfied.

To wit:

I meant Yona was there in all the circumstance when Soo-won's usurpation risked a major clusterfuck, and virtually all of his administrative "victories" are mostly due to her, or he was just mending stuff he had broken himself. That's some luck, indeed. For Kouka more than for Soo-won, given that he's going to kick the bucket anyway.

And I'm not trying to defend every aspect of King Il's reign, or to construe him as an effective leader. What I'm saying is that I see no reason to think Soo-won is better, for the reasons I've exhaustively argued, or that his usurpation is a case of the ends justifying the means. I don't see what Soo-won has to show for all the mess he's created, or all the mess he is planning to create.

But you know, maybe I could defend Il's actions fully on the basis of the prophecy. If you haven't read already, read what PurpleLibraryGuy has to say about hubris, and about how some people in this comment section are ignoring the fact that there is no way to tell which of your actions will contribute to a better outcome once you know a prophecy is in place. For all you know, Yona was able to grow so much in a few months because she was a clean slate before, a sheltered princess. King Il never thought he was going to jeopardise the kingdom by raising her that way because - for the umpteenth time - he knows prophecies are real and she would triumph anyway. There is zero risk in following a prophecy, and infinite risk in trying to defy it.

I would agree with every single aspect of your analysis - in a word like ours, where prophecies are bullshit and gods don't exist.

I am soooooo late. I only remember now that Akatsuki no Yona updated last Oct. 5 or 6? And hello world... What did I enter into?!

It makes sense why Hak never consider Il as coward king and was worthy of respect. 😭

And Oh! Il, I feel you with the impulsiveness of answering when the answer is not something you mean to say. Everything is too late for Il... It is just that Yonhi being afraid of the priest that started this tragedy. I wish in Yona's generation everything would settle.

Can we just go back to them being a happy hungry bunch bandit.

And LOL, the translator is very very right with the comment that this section would be a riot. Thank you dear translator @evil_twin for the update!

Lol, Soowon’s mom didn’t even bother guiding him. She straight up gave up on him, a child. I honestly do not like/agree with how the adults handled things.. This chapter is so well-written but nah I don’t think I’ll ever have sympathy or understanding for King Il.

Users who are viewing this thread