Akira

Every single time I see Akira float by in recently updated anywhere on the internet it means that I will be reading Akira for the next few hours.

Double-page supporter
Thoroughly enjoyed. It pulls off color really well, all things considered. Not sure if the ending was bad or if I just didn't understand it, but everything else is solid. Don't expect anything like Blame! though. It's more like Indiana Jones gone cyberpunk.

Fed-Kun's army
The series is a must read for a fan of the film and really gives the characters in the anime adaption time to develop fully. Coming from owning the b&w version, having color is such a change! I've got to say though, after a while of reading the color version I do feel that the b&w version is better. I will forever love my 35th anniversary box set. T.T

And for the record, manga > movie by a landslide. The movie, especially for the time has absolutely brilliant animation, but the manga is THE definitive experiece, where the movie is a flash in a pan, leaving you with many questions if you haven't yet read the series.

Why is there more than 38 chapters for the portuguese version ?
I'm confused about this.

@guilhaume since i don't speak portuguese, i didn't really dig up the issue.
But it seems that portuguese ch 112 match with english ch 38, even if they are slightly different.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/822212/43
https://mangadex.org/chapter/345854/21
As you can see, the text of the banner is different.
Btw, portuguese ch 38 seems totally unrelated to english ch 38.

Power Uploader
Pelo que entendi @tamwile, @guilhaume a versão em inglês tem múltiplos capítulos eu um único alem de ser remasterizada por isso as diferenças, mas estou apenas especulando 🙃

anyone know if scans of the boxset version are up anywhere? I didn't see anything on Nyaa and I can't bring myself to read an iconic manga in such a horrifically vandalized state (colored in, mirrored, sound effect art fucked up).

I'm not about to drop $150 on a manga I don't even know if I like lmao.

Dex-chan lover
The Very Second Manga I ever picked up, and I still think it is one of the best ever made! Sure, a 14-year-old like me should not have read it, but I did. An Absolute Legend!
I consider HNK, Jojo, and One Piece at the top, but those are Current Legends, Akira is All-Time!

Why the fuck is the Epics Comics version the only version on here? For those who don't know, this version digitally colored all the pages, flipped it to be right to left, and has a very loose translation that occasionally even adds speech bubbles that weren't originally there.

Dex-chan lover
I binged, I marathoned, but I don't think it's as great people say. It's still up there and the art is definitely amazing. For sure a more complete experience than just watching the movie. The ESP stuff is fun. The nonstop action got too much for me, but maybe it's my fault for reading so much of it so fast. Really not a fan of Kaneda and how he insists upon himself.

The movie did what the Berserk anime accomplished. Awesome adaptation but lacks a lot from it original source material. I love the movie, don't get me wrong but it might as well be an advertisement to get people to read the manga.

Users who are viewing this thread