Amber Darling - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - Ellie’s High Heels

Dex-chan lover
I don't get it, what was the moral of the story? Don't run with high heels?
It's a manic pixie girl narrative. Basically, Ellie is just a catalyst for the MC's development. The fact she dies means nothing for the narrative because she did her job "easing" the MC into a new stage in her life.

Dex-chan lover
I don't get it, what was the moral of the story? Don't run with high heels?
It's more about the mood and the state of memories--the idea that she could spend such a brief moment with a lively person, the memory of which (represented by the heels) she'll carry on with her despite the brevity of their encounter.

The story starts with the same "I hope things are peaceful for her" line, as her memory is jogged by seeing similar heels again. So it's sort of cyclical in now it starts and ends.

There's more to be said but that's pretty much it. Not everything needs or will have a "moral of the story," and this doesn't seem like it intended one. Just a snapshot of something real and feelings to think about.

Last edited:
Power Uploader
It's more about the mood and the state of memories--the idea that she could spend such a brief moment with a lively person, the memory of which (represented by the heels) she'll carry on with her despite the brevity of their encounter.

The story starts with the same "I hope things are peaceful for her" line, as her memory is jogged by seeing similar heels again. So it's sort of cyclical in now it starts and ends.

There's more to be said but that's pretty much it. Not everything needs or will have a "moral of the story," and this doesn't seem like it intended one. Just a snapshot of something real and feelings to think about.
"Her death was meaningless in the great scheme of things", Just like real life

Dex-chan lover
I feel pretty sad after that even though there wasn't much about Ellie :aquadrink:

Dex-chan lover
Having known too many people who passed away before their time...it does get to be like that sometimes. Death is tragic but also just a part of life, so your memories of them being alive are what you carry forward. Even if that memory of them is just that one joke they told at summer camp, or that time you bumped into them in the hospital ward.

Resident Yuripig
Contributor
Is it just me or did it look like the way you saw 2/3 of her body at the top of the panel and when she said that Ellie had died ー like she hung herself?

Dex-chan lover
Is it just me or did it look like the way you saw 2/3 of her body at the top of the panel and when she said that Ellie had died ー like she hung herself?
That is an interesting way to interpret it, but since the heels are in the center of the panel, I suspect the author intended for the footwear to be the focus. Cutting off the upper part of the body shows that the heels remain the most vivid part of Ellie in MC's memory--not even her face or personality.

Users who are viewing this thread