Angel or Villainess - Ch. 26

Fed-Kun's army
Not sure why people are complaining about the author giving Angela more character depth than just "Dur I'm an evil bad guy, everyone hate me". She was a boring af villain before hand, this actually makes her an interesting character. Y'all have been fed Disney villains for too long, you've grown afraid of villains with understandable character motives.

hm... i get the feeling Angela's aversion of pink isn't from the color itself (hence her not reacting to others wearing it and having a relatively mild reaction to the pink room considering her reaction to the dress) but rather because of its connection to a trauma or something. like, the pink dress is a trigger to her but only when its on her or for her; maybe she or someone she cared for, maybe her mother considering her scream, was wearing a pink dress when something horrible happened? probably something in her childhood. probably reaching here, but maybe Angela has some sort of trauma-associated narcissism and complex-ptsd caused by that and that's why she's trying so hard to climb the social ladder?? idk im not an expert, just someone who reads a lot of academic journals while waiting for their doc to get back to them because of a long-ass waitlist.

bro ngl at this point im more invested in Angela's character than the MC's;; i'm not sure if that's a good development because i might end up cheering against revenge if this goes on. but then again if this does continue, and Angela becomes a sadder character and Jayna continues to somehow-doesn't-seem-to-be-developing-much-if-at-all kind of character she is and never properly process her death or something and continues to focus on revenge then the ending would probably make the tragedy tag truly belong there lol. but god, please, author-nim, give us proper development omfg,,,, this development is cool but im getting the premonition that it'd be shallow and cheap feeling like jayna's development. this better be developed properly omfg.

and honestly, someone isekai a therapist in there, both girls need one if you ask me.

I’m just gonna put my own two cents out here. Her trauma isn’t an excuse for all the horrible shit she did cause I strongly believe trauma isn’t what makes the person but shapes them. I also find it interesting that the author IS making a backstory for Angela instead of making her a vanilla villainess (but at the same time not portraying her in a better light because of it nor forcing the reader to sympathise with her (or at least that’s what I think they’re doing)). I also think the reason why she’s okay with seeing pink rather than wearing a pink dress is because when you see something usually you don’t think it’s “yours” while wearing it makes you think it does? Am I making sense? Like, I have a fear of needles but when I see one or hear about someone getting a shot I don’t get scared, I only get scared/anxious when I’m the one getting the shot. I think it’s because when I hear about them I see them as a separate entity from myself, but when its about me is when I get anxious. I’m guessing it’s the same with Angela (but more extreme since mine is just a fear while her’s a trauma) where she would be fine with seeing other ladies wearing pink but when it’s linked to “her” (or rather her mom who I assume looks like her) is when she freaks out. I hope I’m making sense? Anyways it’s just my opinion.

Edit: I just wanna add that I find it really interesting that the author is exploring trauma through both the MC and villainess. I just really like characters with more character depths like this :)

@BlueCatMage

Totally agree with your opinion, and perspective.

I didn't consider the factor of Angela being triggered by "owning" something pink, vs 'seeing someone else have it". In this context it makes sense.

I'm still annoyed at the execution, honestly I wish it was better, because the characters have such good premises. I could see myself getting so invested in them.
Both Angela and Jayna could become so cool if they were allowed to develop and become better characters. Instead they're made to fit a designated frame, and it's getting quite grating. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aggregator gang
I don't mind that the author is revealing that there's more to Angela's character than we might know. After all, it makes sense that if we only have Jayna's viewpoint, we'd only see her as a two-faced villainess until Jayna herself learns more about her. What I find disappointing is how little Jayna's character is developped. In the original timeline we don't get the sense that she was all that interesting. Her goals seemed to basically be "don't rock the boat, marry the person I was engaged to all my life and be a proper wife". Which makes sense, she was a "generic" well-bred young lady in a comfortable position. So long as the status quo was maintained, she would enjoy a comfortable life. But as a character, it's kind of boring.

She then gets framed and murdered, travels back in time, and her new goal in life is... take revenge on the people that ruined her, then slide right back into her everyday life. Eventually find a new husband since she's dumping her fiance as soon as he gives her an excuse. So she went through this miraculous experience, got the chance to go back in time and redo some critical choices, and her only interest is to have her revenge.

And the somewhat annoying thing is, she doesn't really strive for things aside from her revenge. Everything kind of falls into her lap. For starters, I'd like to know what kind of power decided that this entirely boring person deserved to have a second chance and go back in time. Or the whole thing with this kid and the rabbit. She hasn't really shown anything remarkable, aside from apparently liking the rabbit and being understanding of this strange kid. But he's clearly someone important, and the rabbit is special too, so because she humored them at no particular expense to her she'll be richly rewarded when their true identities are revealed.

I wish Jayna would do more introspection, seeing as she has solid evidence of higher powers and the possibility for someone to go back in time, and maybe reexamine her choices and her way of life. Show that she's changed in some way aside from her desire for revenge.

i find it.. interesting that the villain's weakness is easily discovered and exploited like this

@Kynnath I agree! Hee character wasn't fleshed out well. It's already been 26 chapters and she hasn't really done much aside from plotting her revenge which shouldn't be bad in itself, but just as you said, all the situations that allowed her to take revenge were conveniently handed to her. She didn't really have to work hard for anything. Jayna's character is pretty meh tbh, plus her feelings of resentment doesn't hold much as much weight as it should to the readers because of how she reacts.

The characters also aren't well-written so far. Jayna died and came back, she's supposed to have more drive than what she currently has considering that she literally died bc of Angela,but she just sits around and waits for another convenient situation to "punish" Angela in a petty way. Now i get that she's doing it slowly to trap Angela from ever recovering from her future losses, but so far Jayna's personality isn't just very interesting. Angela too, she's basically just a dumb + pretty girl who isn't too dumb bc she can manipulate other people to do her bidding but is not very bright in every other aspect. Her weaknesses are glaringly obvious, and she doesn't do muxh to cover it up. Jayna also doesn't do anything to take advantage of Angela's foolishness, only doing so when a situation arises that literally says "Hey this is another way to screw Angela up!!!"

Thinking about it, I think I'm coming from a heavy bias 🤔
I've been reading Your throne (To be you, even just for a day), which has a similar premise, but a different gimmick, and honestly it has such good character development, subversion of expectations and evolution, that it's honestly raising the bar for everything else 😅
I think I'm expecting too much, even after deciding I shouldn't expect much from this story.

I retract all of my previous comments 🤐, except for the judgement that this has terrible writing 😒
Bottom line, I don't think I like anyone much anymore, except Cassiel, he was innocent and nobody can convince me otherwise 😒

People who are complaining about Angela having a trauma—it’s not supposed to make you like her. It’s called character depth. You can have an insight into why a character is evil just as you can have an insight into why a character is good. Imagine complaining about character depth 🤦🏻‍♀️

@Aurantix
Yeah, Cassiel is the only character I actually like, and I legit feel bad for him because he will end up suffering a lot when he did absolutely nothing wrong.

Hmmm. I'd like to know more about her pink trauma. It's good the author is giving more depth to Angela, I was getting tired of her smiling bitch face. Makes her look more human. I still don't like her tho 🤭.

Dex-chan lover
Hope Jayna's able to use this weakness intelligently, instead of just springing it on Angela at every chance.

Users who are viewing this thread