Ani no Yome to Kurashite Imasu. - Vol. 7 Ch. 66 - Diary 66

Double-page supporter
It's a big, discomfited, unfitting puzzle. Shino is at the stage where she is finally trying to break the silence and come to terms with her grief, and is reading Nozomi's reaction as her having already moved on, someone who can recollect fondly about a precious past. She's utterly afraid at being left behind, of her brother no longer being 'present' but 'past' to the only other person who understands her, and is barely holding back from lashing out.

Except Nozomi is in an even worse situation, and is still in complete denial. She keeps herself going by taking on a role as "Shino's mature, 'together' big sister who is here for her" so as to completely avoid doing anything at all about herself. Take Shino out, and she's going to completely collapse.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kiraidesu
This drama is torturing my head. Anyway, thanks for your explanation. At least I've understand it a bit.

Its quite ironic that as Ritsuko said and the way shino upside down the picture about her and her brother , i thought Shino already moved on her brother's death but it turned out she haven't meanwhile i always thought Nozomi couldn't move on but she was already chill out.

And yeah, she slowly treated Shino as lovers. First was letting Shino grope her boob, at this chapter she took a grain of rice for Shino and eat it naturally. Her intimate was from sisterhood to lovers gradually but Shino still thought their relationship was sister in law with her brother's memories connecting to them.She feels her brother's memories faded from Nozomi which connected them together so she is scared Nozomi will leaves her soon.

The little change i notice from old chapters whenever Nozomi and Shino do smt together, Nozomi will mention smt from Shino being similar to Taichi but in this chapter, when Shino mentions Taichi, Nozomi find smt from Taichi being similar to Shino, its back to Shino not Taichi anymore.

Nozomi got hella sexy , her expression and demeanor is really alluring. But she could read the mood a little better

What I see in those mood shifts is the author struggling with her editor and not wanting to lose what I assume is a rather decent square enix backed salary.

Oh yurihime, why your wages are shit.

Only that its pretty obvious that what she really wanted to write is dramatic lesbian erotica, but went to a big name regular monthly instead because 'straight' stuff pays way better (not to mention selling it to yurihime wouldve probably been rather hard given the kind of garbage manufacture that magazine currently is).

Thats where this whole clumsy balancing act between subtle - obvious romantic subtext and occasional but scarcer down the line throwbacks to 'oh-yeah-were-supposed-to-be-a-grieving-platonic-family-here' mindset stems from. The tonal shifts between chapters are hectic and while you may want to defend it on ambiguous 'thats how grief usually plays out' principle, this isnt real life but a fiction (allegedly centered around thematic core at that!), and writing fiction requires a certain sense of rhythm that I think is lacking here. Aside from that theres the fact that almost all (if not every) male character related chapter manages to feel out of place (not to mention that those characters universally are - and constantly have been if youll bother to look through kuzushiros body of work - underwritten and uninspired in comparison to their fellow female cast members ; the fact that brother remained faceless for about first two years of serialization is also indicative of something), especially when the author tries to hint at something deeper going on in their heads.

Like write want you want sister, but you rooted your male-oriented seinen magazine title in somewhat of a disingenuous premise, so the results are bound to be bit unsightly.

_______
Personally I continue following this only for when the kuzushiuro will finally produce an h doujin with those two ('poor poor lips'), as Im already emotionally invested to some degree in what will happen to them. It will end up being a neat fifteen minutes reading session.

Otherwise wouldve had dropped it long time ago - I dont usually mind over the place writing (even extreme kind like in '4cut hero') but it has to be intentional - here it feels like the author is just struggling with herself.

@Probably_wont_log_in_again

Only that its pretty obvious that what she really wanted to write is dramatic lesbian erotica, but went to a big name regular monthly instead because 'straight' stuff pays way better (not to mention selling it to yurihime wouldve probably been rather hard given the kind of garbage manufacture that magazine currently is).

Murciélago is the same magazine with ani and gets tons of Explicit yuri sex scenes. Kuzu no honkai ends with het couple but there are yuri sex scenes as well. Bloom into you is from dengeki daio, Kase-san is from Wings, Still sick is from Mag Garden.All of them are good yuri manga with Explicit yuri scene ( kiss, nsfw stuff) and come from non yuri mangazine.Honestly, yuri hime is my last choice to find good yuri mangas. Lately, there are only swallow writing and ugly cockblock ( haven't never mentioned its expensive as fuck 1000en).

Ani is sold almost 500,000 copies and tagged shojo-ai now so i believe kuzu can write what she wants.Check her twitter and pixiv, you can see how much she devote to this manga. Its just ani is quite different from other yuri mangas, from sisterhood to lovers, from first love to second love, from awkward, graytone case to acceptable case, it needs alot of time and work to be slow-burn romance relationship.

Dex-chan lover
I'm guessing her brother's death never truly set into Shino since Nozomi keeps her safe and comfortable as a proper family unit.

Either that or she just doesn't even want the slight chance of Nozomi moving on.

>Murciélago is the same magazine with ani and gets tons of Explicit yuri sex scenes. Kuzu no honkai ends with het couple but there are yuri sex scenes as well. Bloom into you is from dengeki daio, Kase-san is from Wings, Still sick is from Mag Garden.

First two titles arent really good examples. Murcielago is a modern homage to 70s action dykesploitation d class cinema, and Kuzu no honkai is a coming of age melodrama. Neither of them orients itself around 'gay identity' or 'gay romance' (nor their pacing is 'slice of life' for that matter) - those elements are either entirely nonexistent, lurk in peripheries, or are relegated to being story arcs. It wouldve changed very little if the queer factor wasnt present.

As for the other mentioned comics I dont know: it may be that she applied to their respective places of publication and got rejected, pay was much better at yg, or that she wasnt planning to turn this into lesbian romance in the first place. I dont know, but neither do you.

>Ani is sold almost 500,000 copies and tagged shojo-ai now so i believe kuzu can write what she wants.

What I do know however is that no matter how popular shes now, that certainly wasnt the case five years ago when this publication started.

(on a sidenote, taggings based on a subjective singular impression and in iself has no bearing on authors categorization of their work ; unless youve meant to tell me that its being 'officially' recognized as gl in japan now.)

>Its just ani is quite different from other yuri mangas, from sisterhood to lovers, from first love to second love, from awkward, graytone case to acceptable case, it needs alot of time and work to be slow-burn romance relationship.

But thats my issue. It didnt start as one: it sold itself on false premise to the publisher and readers who initially helped with raising it to its current popularity.

Personally I dont care much for icky Morishima Akiko - like plots ; if I did know it will turn into one I wouldnt had started reading it in the first place.

All that said its entirely possible Im in the wrong here and the story would had progressed in the exact same way, with center relationship interactions reaching identically self-unaware level of awkwardness somewhere else. It may really come down to something as simple as Kuzushiro preference for subverting readers expectations and showing them her middle finger (which in polite society is euphemistically referred to as 'teasing' or 'baiting'). Given how aggressive shes with same-sex chemistry throughout her portfolio, and how bland in comparison everything male-oriented comes off as, I dont think thats the case here. She fucked up entrepreneurially (or creatively) at starting point, and as a result shes stuck in constant loop of self-mediation between what she currently wants to write, and what she initially promised to deliver. Its not easy if not downright impossible to change the focus of your work midway through, especially when third party and money are involved.

Double-page supporter
Is it time? Is it time for them to actually heal? To talk about things openly instead of hurting and grieving on their own, that's what I've been looking for all this time.

Aggregator gang
Interesting discussion here, I wish all comment sections were like this all the time. Thank you all for some good points and insights.

@Bananimal - What the legal ward needs is a good shagging so that she has a future to look forward to, instead of dwelling on a past that is gone forever. I believe that's the way to heal - to find something new to focus on.

@imwithyou93 - Oh, that's an excellent observation! (your first post). I also liked your reply to Probably_wont_log_in_again. That person seems pretty knowledgeable, but is way too focused on their pet theory that the author is a money-grabbing scumbag.

Aww. Nozomi hasn't moved on yet, she's in denial. She can have memories of her husband through his little sister and pretend he never went away.

Users who are viewing this thread