AnonBlack's Typesetting Guide - Ch. 1 - Typesetting 101: The Basics

Dex-chan lover
Well, it is possible to outline texts in gimp, though it's not as easy as selecting an option. At least not without a plugin.

Here is a little guide on how to do a simple outlining:
Before we begin, I assume, that "Don't use Textboxes" referrers to not using them for automatic line breaks, which really is a bad idea. Just make a spacious textbox to begin with, fill it with text, modify the font, add your own manual line breaking and fiddle with the textbox's position until you are happy. If you make changes to the text later you have to repeat the later steps, as there will be no autocorrection. Ready? Let's start.

[ol][*] I'd like to create each text outline on a separate layer, so I can fiddle a bit with it. Let's create a new one in the layers section/window and make it's BG transparent. (Keep the text as a seperate text-layer. Don't convert it. At least not now.)
[*] Right-click the text-layer in the layers section and create a "Path from Text" from it.
[*] Select the transparent layer from step 1. There is a Paths-tab at the top of the Layers section. Click on it and you should see the newly created path from step 2.
[*] Select the Paintbrush-tool from the Tools section/window and set its hardness and pressure values to 100 each. Use the standard circle form and make its size double the thickness of the outline you want to end up with later. Also chose the desired color of the outline in the Color section. We're set.
[*] Right click on the path in the Paths section and chose "Stroke Path". We set up the Paintbrush in step 4. so lets use that one by selecting "Stroke with a paint tool" and choosing it. And stroke. There it is. And in most cases it doesn't look to your liking the first time around. "Undo" is your friend. Fiddle with the paintbrush settings I've described in step 4 (you want to change the size most likely) and repeat this step until you like it.
[*] Rearrange the layers in the Layers section to your liking. Normally you want your outline-layer underneath your text, but on top of the panel.[/ol]Of course you can experiment with the paintbrush tool to archive different effects (I recommend doing so). Also by adding addtional layers with different colors and different outline thicknesses, you can create several layers of outlines, of course.

A little tip on the side: You can also use "Fill Path" to fill the letters with a pattern, you have to prepare yourself. This way you can create patterned letters. Just remember to Untrigger the Text layers visibility afterwards. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread