Ao Ashi - Ch. 342 - Like an Ant

Dex-chan lover
When will the author wank Madrid considering they are in the same country (technically no since its Catalonia) but you get what I meant

Double-page supporter
Thank you for translating!

Also, I'm not sure, but I'm kinda confused by Fukuda's panel at the bottom of page 15, since Saejima says the same thing on the next page. Typo?

Double-page supporter
Usually its non-Japanese leveling against the Japanese, but in this case, its another Japanese person shitting on his country.

Yeah that's why I think the plotline is actually a little fresh

This is a guy that genuinely believes that he has enough talent that if he were born somewhere else, he could've been an international football star. He doesn't hate Japan because of racism, he hates Japan because of his own inferiority complex. This is a very, VERY realistic plotline for the modern era. The "lol we're racist overseas and we believe you guys are inferior due to your genetics, not due to your sports programs" era has been over for at least 2 decades, but a lot of mangaka grew up with that view of global sports and can't let it go.

Dex-chan lover

This is a guy that genuinely believes that he has enough talent that if he were born somewhere else, he could've been an international football star. He doesn't hate Japan because of racism, he hates Japan because of his own inferiority complex. This is a very, VERY realistic plotline for the modern era. The "lol we're racist overseas and we believe you guys are inferior due to your genetics, not due to your sports programs" era has been over for at least 2 decades, but a lot of mangaka grew up with that view of global sports and can't let it go.
I agree with you. it is a fresh take on the trope.
To see internalized racism out in open is quite new and kind of uncomfortable but it is realistic and also goes with the theme of kuri saying that he wouldnt be a footballer without Japan. a nice contrast

Double-page supporter

It made me wonder if he is an obvious example of someone who didn't have the mental strength to make it as a player compared to what we saw in the previous chapters about La Masia.

Double-page supporter
It's annoying, but the fact is that Japanese football is still far behind compared to Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread