Ao Ashi

Dex-chan lover
@Carerx I don't even think blue lock is a true football manga. It has more in common with something like Inazuma 11 than with Ao Ashi, Be blues and Giant killing. The art style of Blue lock could be said to be streamlined and more modern than Ao ashi but I like Ao ashi's panel flow better.
It's not even like I dislike Blue lock but to say that its much better than Ao ashi would be jumping the gun, what with its focus on forwards only and slight aspects of social darwanism. If anything, I can sometimes get a laugh out of it which is a good thing I suppose.

@FurySlasher Hardly. Do you actually think Blue Lock is perfect? It's not. It has a lot of problems that I will briefly mention. There's lees of a focus on soccer than other soccer manga I read, and the dialogue most of the times is cringy, as if it was something an 7th grader would say, even though they are all in high school. The latter point isnt much of a problem, since ut can be funny at times, but the former point is disappointing since I got to sports manga to have the sport as a focus, not some cringy forwards. The best part of it is the art, which looks good. If it didn't look good I would have already left, especially since the main character is eye roll inducing.

@mildblue Im talking about my own opinion, so subjectively speaking, yes Blue Lock is better than this manga. The fact that I was captivated in the first few chapters of blue lock and continue reading it makes it better for me. The fact that I had to force myself to read 20 chapters of this manga to give it a chance, but still had to put it on hold shows that its worse. Usually I can do with the old-style manga art, but this manga MC is very repulsive to me.

@Carerx ??? The Mc is repulsive to you? Damn why? What he do? He seems very entertaining to me... I am loving his growth and I was actually hooked since the beginning because of his blunt and forward personality. Plus I love Hana because I can relate to her a lot. Ig me and you are polar opposites. I haven't read blue lock yet tho.

@HotGirlShi Yes. Nit exactky repulsive as if hes disgusting or contemptible, but more like I dont like his character from the get go. So reading about him as the MC, plus the art Im not particularly fond of, made me drop this for now. I'll read it maybe when im order and my tastes have changed

@Carerx I understand you haha. I also disliked his character so much. He has what I don’t like the most in people, stupid but doesn’t know his place. That’s why around chapter 40s I stopped reading for a year maybe, and just picked it once more two days ago. There’re several times I wanted to drop it again, but I persisted. At least it paid off I guess. It gets better when he suffered a crushing defeat by the mixed kid, it put him in his place. He’s more likable now for me. I think I’m neutral leaning more to dislike now.

Ao Ashi, Giant Killing, Days, Be Blues, Blue Lock
Any other good and interesting long running sports manga out there? Im looking for recommendations 😊

AAHHHHHHHHHHH i saved chapters for 1 year but it was just 40chapters :angery: i want to past forward time i want to see the match against barca but thanks for the translations really appreciate it

I especially like this manga a lot even compared to some of the best sports mangas/anime (Blue Lock, Diamond No Ace, Haikyuu etc) due to one niche detail - the story and teams are not based in a school. Ao Ashi actually focuses on actual professional teams and their youth academy and does so in a (mostly) realistic manner.

It's always slightly bugged me that a lot of the main characters HUUUGE love for the sport was limited to just playing for a school club with never any further aspirations to try make it professional. The only sports manga/anime I could think of where the MC played professionally is Major.

Users who are viewing this thread