Arctic Cold War

I was expecting something completely different from the title, but it was a pleasant surprise. This has better story and plot development than most manhuas. This has a promising future, pray that the author does not burn down the entire kitchen.

I just wish that people could write good, gritty and semi-realistic apocalypse survival manhua with a slight hint of supernatural powers. All of the apocalypse manhua that I've read lean so far into the martial arts/cultivation/superpower aspect that it doesn't even feel like an apocalypse, they're more like urban fantasy power wank with a slight apocalyptic afterthought.

I haven't read this yet but the almost symbolistic and grim thumbnail of the Statue Of Liberty having fallen over, combining that with the description, talking about a power that doesn't seem to be too far into the 'I have this extremely overpowered cheat during the apocalypse. Do I ever feel stress? Nah, harem.' type of power wank you usually see... Well, let's just say that I'm prematurely getting my hopes up.

edit: caught up to chapter 12. I'm enjoying it so far, the atmosphere and gradual degradation of the world they live in is very interesting to watch. Him being stuck inside his building with a group of people he knew in the past is a pretty unique concept. Reminds me a little bit of Sweet Home. It's pretty different to most other manhua of this genre so it's actually difficult to guess what direction this will take.

Most manhua, apocalypse or not, it's easy to tell in what direction a story is going in the first five chapters. When I think about the characters in this, 12 chapters in, I couldn't even begin to guess where this is going or what's going to happen to who, barring a certain part of the story that I'm going to get into in a minute.

Another thing I enjoy is his character. Most characters in this 'i have unlimited resources in the apocalypse' genres usually come across as assholes, but this guy doesn't fall into that category. He isn't necessarily a good person, but him having food and not sharing it isn't constantly shoved down our throats. In fact, him not sharing his food isn't really mentioned much at all unless it relates to the story. (yet). Normally, I'd say that's a bad decision, but having seen multiple authors try to shove weak excuses and reasons into our faces with the intention of making us empathize with the main character in situations that don't relate to the story at all, I actually prefer this path.

Whenever authors do that, it just comes across horribly, even if it isn't technically wrong strategically speaking. 'Yeah, my cool ass main character has food. A lot of it, even. And he's not sharing with anyone! No matter what! ... unless it's a hot girl... But it's not because he's a bad person, I swear! Listen to me, there's a valid reason! Those children that starved to death, he couldn't feed them because... Well, because it wasn't smart! The strong eats the weak! Law of the jungle!!!!'

Going back to my previous point about the story not being predictable, I said that there was one thing that's an exception. The females... Man, come on! All of the signs are pointing towards an inevitable harem. I didn't really put the pieces together until chapter 12 where another obvious 'unique' female main character appeared. It's a damn shame, I'll tell ya that. The one weak point in a really strong start. That's not to say I'm 100% correct in my prediction. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong as more chapters are released.

Last edited:
I really love this, from art styles to story plots- everything it's all good and I'm willing to wait for the new chapters to release.

Users who are viewing this thread