Artsy fartsy tragic dramatic uncanny existential surrealistic moody angsty trippy traumatic

Fed-Kun's army
Seeking manga/s that fit these descriptions, one of them, some of them, all of them. My favorite manga in this regard is the melodramatic Oyasumi Punpun by the idiosyncratic Inio Asano. Recommendations?

Haru no noroi, Protagonist is dating her dead sister’s fiancée
https://mangadex.org/title/20305/haru-no-noroi
My broken Mariko, Protagonist is in shock after her best friend committed suicide
https://mangadex.org/title/39354/my-broken-mariko

Dex-chan lover
Behold, my artsiest fartsiest.

[ol]Prologue Gymnopedies - A short story collection based on a record. Neat concept.

Witches - Igarashi Daisuke might be artsy fartsiness incarnate, but this collection of witches from unusual parts of the world is well worth your time.

Nekojiru's manga are the most famous (and arguably most enjoyable) of the short-lived Japanese underground comics.

Paranoia Street - This one's just plain fun. Kago Shintaro's art might be well-known, but he's an underrated author in his own right.

Ano Ko no Ie - A slightly surreal coming of age story of a young girl running away from home and finding her space.

Nishioka Kyoudai's stuff - Aggressively artsy fartsy, and easily its worst offender on this list.

Dainana Joshikai Houkou - One of my personal favorites, with a unique style of surreal. If you like what you see, her other series Babel no Toshokan and Mikake no Nijuusei turn that surrealism up a notch, while Wakusei Closet embraces the cosmic horror of it.

Undercurrent, and by extension Toyoda Tetsuya's other manga are all really good, realistic slow-burn stories. Not particularly artsy fartsy, but I figure it'd be well up your alley.[/ol]

Dex-chan lover
Depends. How dark are you willing to go?

There's like three or four manga I really like right now in regards to good characterization and interesting drama, but they're not for the feint of heart.

One of them is worse than Punpun

Dex-chan lover
He (Tamerlane) might recommend Boy's Abyss. A pretty depressing manga. I'd say Punpun is more impactful overall, but Boy's Abyss is still ongoing, so we'll see how dark it gets (oh boy I can't wait).

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@bigtiddyoneesan
I really wish that if i ever see the end of boy's abyss, it gets deleted from my memory and it gets banned from my view, therefore i cannot ever confirm its existance so i can conserve my sanity.

If you want trippy and existential then you can't go wrong with the masterpiece that is Ultra Heaven

As someone who has tried a bunch of different hallucinogenics, this absolute madlad somehow managed to express a bit of what it feels like to trip in visual form.

Users who are viewing this thread