Ashita wa Doyoubi

Double-page supporter
@Melikjeloo
Whether the character likes their name is something else entirely. But often characters are given names for particular reasons. Their names may be significant to their personality and thought process. There may be plot or jokes or dialogue that execute upon the given name in the story. If you start with an Inconsistent Dub http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InconsistentDub, you run the risk of the Dub-Induced Plothole http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DubInducedPlotHole. If there is a name-related joke or pun, are we going to change back to make the joke work, or are we going to stay the course and gloss over it entirely?

Think of Lovely Complex. The main characters' names are a running joke throughout the manga because their names are opposite to their physical size. If you change their names, do those jokes still work? Part of their relationship works around commiserating over their names, and how the opposites fit together. If you change their names, does their dialogue still work?

Fed-Kun's army
EDIT: Stuck rant in spoiler tags because it's way too long and I care way too much. Feel free to ignore it.
Man, I've seen that "they do it for free so you can't complain" bullshit used to defend a lot, but never something so basic as the names changing from the actual names to Chinese names a number of chapters in.

You realize people can appreciate everything scanlators do for free while still having complaints, right? This could be a whole discussion about how quality improves thanks to feedback from the community, but that's not even relevant because this isn't even a basic quality issue, it's an issue of us knowing the actual names of the characters, those names being in prior chapters, and then a new group picks it up and the names are wrong.

I don't blame BAP scans, since they're still taking the time to do this in the first place, and they're pretty decent for actually making the change instead of crying about it like some groups do, but any readers who try to say that an objectively wrong translation was better after the change was already made need to reconsider whether they actually care about manga or just care about sucking off the scanlators so they like you more.

I'm gonna clarify this just in case someone misses the point:
I don't have a problem with BAP scans, I'm happy someone picked this up since it hadn't been updated in a while. If I was going to complain about anything regarding the current translations it would be that the phrasing is very stilted, but that's more a side effect of translation in general than anything. (EDIT: and since Renascence Scans showed up this stopped being an issue too.) You're always bound to lose some nuance whenever anything is translated, so going Japanese to Chinese to English I'd be happy if it's readable at all. Which it is, and that's great.

Just stop trying to debate people who want things to be better, especially when the scanlators are willing to work with the disgruntled readers and have already done their best to comply. The only reason translated manga as a whole has come this far already is thanks to people complaining and saying things like "this translation is awkward, I don't like this font, try to save as a different filetype to reduce compression," etc. Obviously it's also thanks to people reaching out to let scanlation groups know how much we appreciate them as well, since nobody wants to do an unpaid and thankless job, but if you only ever praise people nothing will ever improve.

Group Leader
This was my first time proofreading.
Please let me know if you spot any issues.

Fed-Kun's army
@DrWhoCares
Looks great so far, my dude.
It's always hard to tell how well proofreaders are doing, since the only time you notice them is if they miss something, but if you missed anything then I missed it too so that's an A+ in my book.

Group Leader
Chapter 32 was especially difficult because it's not a game that fully exists with a name in English.
It's basically just a staring contest with funny faces trying to make the other laugh first.

Of course having them say, "You laugh you lose" over and over would sound bad.

Group Leader
So we got the Japanese raws, since I was tired of dealing with the Chinese raws.
I'm doing translation and proofreading for this now. I'll try my best to be quick, but I have a 9 to 5, so we'll see. The quality is already going up a lot however. Since the Chinese raws that were being used have translation mistakes in a few spots, causing the meaning of most of chapter 34 to be pretty far off from the actual Japanese. I hope to have Ch. 34 finished by tomorrow.

Once the new chapters start coming out, please let me know of any issues you see, I'm still learning and would appreciate any help.

Group Leader
Yeah, I'm translating from Japanese so it's much faster now. Additionally I have a buddy who's occasionally translating as well, which I then proofread to do some QC on it.

Should have all the chapters done maybe within a week. 51 chapters, plus one extra.

@DrWhoCares Wondrous service you have done for us all- especially considering how idle this one has been until now and how popular Yamamoto's general library of work seems to be now.

Out of curiosity, do you plan to take a pass through the chapters from before you switched raw sources to check for the contextual accuracy in those? Since you mentioned the Chinese sources for 34 completely lost the meaning somewhere down the road...

I got the impression from the shitstorm of angry comments there was a lot of concern about the final product deriving from a translation of a translation, with a translation to a 4th language being cited as a reference source- not just a sudden name change. I understand working with what one has available, but yeah, I get the sentiment when there's three or four languages in play.

Group Leader
@TheGTF
So good question.
Personally, I'm a huge fan of this kinda of pure-hearted childhood escapism so I'm probably going to buy the physical books at some point, if not at minimum, the 5 dollar e-book version of the first volume.

Currently, @NibbPower bought the second volume, so I could potentially do every chapter in that. I'm having a lot of fun and learning a lot from translating this, so I'd love to be able to do more.

That said, I do have another project after this that I am supposed to work on. It's a larger, more difficult one, so we'll see when the end comes around, and after the first few releases, if I feel like doing two at a time.

Finally, to talk about the "4th degree translation" thing:
Japanese Manga -> Chinese Scanlation -> English Scanlation.

Has now become:
Japanese Manga -> English Scanlation.

Apparently the previous group used Japanese to Spanish to English, or perhaps Japanese to Chinese to Spanish to English, I'm not sure. But that doesn't affect us right now.

If I was going to redo any chapters, I would only be working from the source material, as I currently am.

Power Uploader
I just want to clarify some misunderstandings.
The previous group (English) started on 2016 to 2017. The Spanish group started at the end of 2017 to 2018. So, it's actually the other way around. The Spanish used the English's group translation.

Group Leader
Hey everyone.
All chapters have been translated.

I'll be finalizing Chapters 42 - 52 by the end of today, so all of that will be done. However, our typesetter is current gone until the 10th of July, so likely there won't be any releases until then.
Schiere and I are working hard to try to make this the best we can, but let us know if you notice any issues. We may end up doing the rest of the chapters as well, after the bulk release of 42-52.

EDIT: All done!

Dex-chan lover
Awww this is too cute to end ?

Hat tip to @DrWhoCares and those at NibbPower for bringing us this cute and funny slice of life ?

hat_tip.gif

Dex-chan lover
I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but then the next thing I knew, I was on Chapter 24 (almost halfway through) before I realized I'd read that much. Each chapter is pretty short, but it's a cute and fun series. If you like slice of life comedies, this series is a good one to read, imo.

If you've read the main series and thought the side characters were great, this is a must read. We need a Mano-chan one too.

Users who are viewing this thread