Ashitaba-san Chi no Muko Kurashi - Vol. 7 Ch. 54

Sorry for the delay everyone! Taking two weeks to release these to accommodate my busier schedule. Ch. 55 will come on Tuesday, 9/17. Thank you for reading!

Dex-chan lover
A novelist is essentially a NEET unless their books are selling.

Dex-chan lover
What was the title of the book? What was that rain scene? What was the title of Nukumi's novel? What was the SFX when Nukumi was alone?

Dex-chan lover
I don't understand the last page. Did he get his original job back? Was it a flashback?

Contributor
Probably a flashback to when he had to drop out and the Professor Father in Law found him a job he could do.

@bitfarb he's working his notice out. In countries where employment is sort of fair, you give notice (2 weeks or whatever), or if you're organisation is 'resizing' (and he works at a presumably city public library), they give you notice of your impending termination. A betterer employer may turn the notice into paid leave or at least let you look for a job during the notice period. Unless you were a piece of shit , then they will probably pay you to leave immediately so they don't have a terrorist on site.
@koikoi, in the flashback he seemed to be holding a container that was probably his parents ashes after a ceremony. It looked pretty formal. He lost his parents in the April 2011 earthquake / tsunami. That probably turned his life upside down and put studies down the priority list. Remember he and Hinata went back to that region (Sendai?) on their honeymoon.
Still to find out how he hooked up with Hinata, though he obviously had studied under her father and knew him first.

Dex-chan lover
@bitfarb It isn't a flashback. My assumption is that he wasn't fired rigth away so he works the last days (maybe some weeks).

@Samhill The scene with the rain should be the funeral of his parents.
The SFX from which she snapped out from her nap was probably this きゅるるる -> kyurururu and indicates the rumbling of a stomach
むく -> muku should be the sound when she stands up
ばたん -> batan -> Sound of closing the door

Aggregator gang
I'm glad they didn't kill the father off. I really thought it was gonna happen since it happened in another of the author's mangas too.

Dex-chan lover
4.8.4 Dismissal procedures
If an employer wishes to dismiss an employee, the employer must give the employee at least 30 days' notice. If the employer wishes to dismiss the employee summarily and without notice, the employer must pay the employee 30 days' wages at the time of dismissal (this payment of wages in rule of notice is known as a "notice allowance"). However, in the situations described below, employers may dismiss employees without notice and without paying a notice allowance so long as the employer obtains the approval of the head of the chief of the relevant labour standards inspection office.
He's a good worker and they're firing him because of necessity, so he gets 30 days notice or equivalent severance pay. If the company had gone bankrupt or he had committed a crime, broke rules, lied to get the job, disappeared, or was habitually late he would have just been fired without notice or pay.

Dex-chan lover
Man this chapter got a whole lot of real in there, i felt it.

Congratulations Mu-kun not everyone gets to actually become a researcher, well, you aren't one yet, but you have a direct plug into a newly formed lab in which your father in law is a senior researcher, you may as well be one already.

Ok, you know what? that's bullshit, that's so fucking far from real! that's the biggest fantasy this author has made in all of his works!

On the other hand, it is plain nepotism, so it doesn't gets more real than that... am so conflicted.

Was that the aunt visiting Mu-kun's library at the end?

Dex-chan lover
@Doomroar - My guess is the auntie is getting the actual job as research assistant, since she's got the qualifications for it and has similar needs, and Mu-kun is working his last days and then he'll do some studies and get that exam to give himself more options when looking for a new job.

But it's just my impression since if there was a final decision I managed to overlook it.

Dex-chan lover
@Simpleton well that could be but then why was the dad making the offer to Mu-kun instead of the aunt?

Also the aunt already has a job, she is a novelist, not a big and successful one, but that's her job.

Dex-chan lover
@Doomroar My thought (and this is just guesswork) was that he was going to offer her the job first, since she has the qualifications, she's an actual writer and she's probably mostly leeching on them rather than making good money. Then Mu-kun turned out to have a much greater need, since he'd be completely out of work otherwise, so a much better fit for some helpful nepotism. But when it turned out that he couldn't be given the assignment, things reverted to plan A. (Or not, but auntie leaving the house dressed in something business-like doesn't match with her previous behaviour?)

Users who are viewing this thread