Author Aliases Section on Author Page / Searchable?

Contributor
I know manga (/etc.) pages have an "Alternative Titles" section so , think would be handy to have a section (like bio / links/ etc. ) on author's page for their other pen names / aliases / alternative spellings. Being able to use the site's search function for this section would be super convenient too.

Upvote 4
Contributor
I know manga (/etc.) pages have an "Alternative Titles" section so , think would be handy to have a section (like bio / links/ etc. ) on author's page for their other pen names / aliases / alternative spellings. Being able to use the site's search function for this section would be super convenient too.
Already planned, just don't expect it any time soon.

Contributor
Already planned, just don't expect it any time soon.
Until then, how should aliases be treated? Currently, there's a yuztan page (https://mangadex.org/author/a64706d0-f679-442e-80c6-ffa713e0807f/yuztan), despite that just being an alias of zunta (https://mangadex.org/author/844f9d85-2b7f-46fe-a69d-5c3e84cc2142/zunta). However, he was credited as "yuztan" on those works. Is there currently being 2 separate pages a mistake that should be reported, or should it stay that way until aliases are fully implemented?

Contributor
Until then, how should aliases be treated? Currently, there's a yuztan page (https://mangadex.org/author/a64706d0-f679-442e-80c6-ffa713e0807f/yuztan), despite that just being an alias of zunta (https://mangadex.org/author/844f9d85-2b7f-46fe-a69d-5c3e84cc2142/zunta). However, he was credited as "yuztan" on those works. Is there currently being 2 separate pages a mistake that should be reported, or should it stay that way until aliases are fully implemented?

Second part first. Report one of the entries stating that it's a duplicate of the other and provide something to support your claim (i.e. a link to something is usually fine)

First part... It's complicated. Right now the consensus is to add that information to the biography section of the author page. If you do not have the permissions to do that you can do a report and provide the information to add.

Example: https://mangadex.org/author/6a010fcc-c269-4691-a054-4fbd2de89aaf/z-ton (fyi has nsfw works but best example I could think of at the moment)

Last edited:
Contributor
I think to help mitigate the mistakes of creating duplicate entries of a lot of titles' author/artist because people are lazy so they don't really check if the author's page already exist but with a tad different name, it would be cool to have this functionnality implemented.

Also, the quicker it will be out the less will be needed to input and change all the alternative or associated names of the authors and artists.

Contributor
a while ago i remembered there were also duplicates being made for japanese titles because some people like to put the author's surname last according western conventions while others like to keep it the japanese way and put the surname first

Contributor
a while ago i remembered there were also duplicates being made for japanese titles because some people like to put the author's surname last according western conventions while others like to keep it the japanese way and put the surname first
Yes and that's a problem... And for japanese name it's more easy because the romaji is easier, for Korean it's awful people are doing tons of duplicate because each people read korean in different ways like come on!

Contributor
I have not encountered a situation where putting the surname first or second has mattered when it comes to searching for an author.

As an example "Itou Hachi" and "Hachi Itou" both return the same result

Contributor
"Itou Hachi"
As an example people are like "Itou Hachi" and "Ito Hachi" are not the same person, I will create a diplicate...

And "질풍" can be romanized by Jilpung or Zilpung and people don't try to search for both names before creating a new author...

Contributor
As an example people are like "Itou Hachi" and "Ito Hachi" are not the same person, I will create a diplicate...
Sure and they could infact be different people, but that wasn't what I was responding to. Even if misspelling an authors name still returned the correct result there are those (not everyone) that would still create a duplicate with the different/incorrect spelling.

And "질풍" can be romanized by Jilpung or Zilpung and people don't try to search for both names before creating a new author...
Correct and there is probably nothing MD can do about lazy people not putting forth even the minimum amount of effort. It's one of the down sides of this being a community driven site that has no paid positions (i.e. no one is paid to spend their entire day looking over all the data to make sure it's correct).

Contributor
Sure and they could infact be different people, but that wasn't what I was responding to. Even if misspelling an authors name still returned the correct result there are those (not everyone) that would still create a duplicate with the different/incorrect spelling.

Correct and there is probably nothing MD can do about lazy people not putting forth even the minimum amount of effort. It's one of the down sides of this being a community driven site that has no paid positions (i.e. no one is paid to spend their entire day looking over all the data to make sure it's correct).
Creating aliases so if I type Jil or Zil it will find the same one!

But the right way to look for author is to search with the original/in their language name!

Users who are viewing this thread