Automatic Transcoding :rejected:

This is probably not a new idea, but, I didn't see it here in suggestions so I'm just going to say it.

High quality PNGs are great, absolutely, and shouldn't be going away. But with seemingly everyone reading manga right now due to the pandemic, Mangadex is getting _really_ slow sometimes! So it might be nice to have automatic transcoding for images, at least to 8bit PNG but maybe even as far as a decent quality JPG. I'd be totally fine with 70% compression (as defined by photoshop at least) JPGs if that is better than PNG-8. With automated transcoding, mangadex could turn on the lower quality version by default during congested times, and go back to full quality by default when more bandwidth is available. Of course there should be a button to force one version or the other, but still, I think having a "low quality" (which wouldn't even be that much lower quality) option to turn to automatically would improve the experience a lot better for everyone times like these.

Plus if it is automated, then groups won't need to worry about it and can just continue to upload their high quality versions as always!

Oh I hadn't seen that yet! That's great!

However that isn't quite what this idea is. Data Saver appears to be oriented toward saving user bandwidth. My idea here is focused on saving mangadex's bandwidth when its getting slammed. So you could say that part of this is implemented, but the core idea isn't yet!

Sadly I can't change the title to reflect that but, oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread