Awajima Hyakkei - Vol. 2 Ch. 8 - Yamaji Ruriko and Kusanagi Natsuko (Part II)

Group Leader
TL Note for those interested: Yoshiko is written with the kanji for beautiful child (美しい子), but the "beautiful" part was left in hiragana (よし子).

Fed-Kun's army
thank u for all the chapters :3 this series is so reflective, and despite being somber somehow calming to read <3

thank you for the translations :)

What does the change from Kanji to Hiragana imply? Is it less boastful because its in the "simpler" form?

Group Leader
@nasebein: Pretty much! Basically kanji carry meaning, so 美子 literally means "beauty" and "child," but leaving it in hiragana makes the meaning for "yoshi" more vague or up to interpretation. For instance, instead it could be 祥子, 欣子, 佳子, 淑子, or even more possibilities, with all the first kanji in the compound meaning something else (auspicious, graceful, good, etc.).

It took me a while to notice that this is the story between Ibuki's mother and grandmother after rereading several times. I love how sensei connects the entire cast by focusing on two characters at a time and lets us peer into their minds when they're interacting with the other characters.

Thanks for the translations!

Group Leader
Yes, as one of my friends and editors put it, this series goes "full Shimura" almost right away. Aoi Hana started off as a very normal story structurally, but became more abstract and artistic as the series went on. Awajima is only on volume 2 and already jumps at random between people, timelines, and perspectives.

Users who are viewing this thread