Azur Lane - A Journal (Doujinshi)

@TrueGoddessReincarnation
Unicorn canonically has certain yandere tendencies, the emote where she sharpens ugean's horn on a whetstone is indicative of that. Furthermore, Atago's yandereness isn't one derived from wanting to kill others off, but rather to ensure that her loved one faces no difficulties as best she can manage it. Her extraction of the commander from the base onto their little getaway boat is her way of making sure the commander has nothing to worry about by removing her from the root cause of the problem: her inability to be stern when managing a fleet, by removing her from the fleet.

@TrueGoddessReincarnation

Oh no muh characters aren't conforming to their one-dimensional canonical stereotypes this manga suuuuuuuuuuucks

The representation of Atago here is the natural conclusion of her personality archetype when applied to the circumstances of the story, her character motivations check out and the course of action taken seems entirely consistent with that motivation. Unicorn being possessive is definitely a bit of a stretch but note entirely derived from thin air, there does remain canonical basis.

Dex-chan lover
The main issue I have is the commander is made so incompetent seeming that I cannot figure out how they gained command in the first place. You need to be at least somewhat capable in order to gather these characters, to be good enough to do that but simultaneously bad enough that it falls apart is a contradiction.

I love this piece. The thing that makes it sad to some people is that the plot is so well done it seams plausable (on the charecter side of things) a 10 out of 10 from me.

@starburst98
If I had to guess, it would be because she did show results when working with Takao and Atago, and probably the higher ups were that desperate for capable commanders. It's implied the war against the Sirens had already begun and that, as seen in Yorktown's memories, the conflict between Azur Lane and the Red Axis is somewhat recent, and left both navies severely weakened.

The problem is that the commander was still a kid with no military training. Sure, she might have gotten good results when things went okay, but she was not ready to do the heavy decisions that would end up in one of her new friends dying. Yet die they did, and not any shipgirl, but Takao who was one of her first. It's already bad enough that a friend dies but dying on her command is a burden not many can endure, trained military or not, let alone a schoolgirl. You're also forgetting most of the shipgirls had issues from the conflict, be it Zuikaku shutting her emotions off, Portland deluding herself with an illusion of a dead Indianapolis, Cleveland's suicide out of guilt or Yorktown brainwashing herself into not thinking about the lives she took. Many girls were broken from the beginning, and if you add the animosity and frustration between them, their collective burden was too much for the commander girl, who couldn't just distance from them enough for it not to affect her.

so where is our resident protagonist Enty-kun when all of this shit goes down ? probably busy flirting with Belfast again because shitty yuri shipping...

Users who are viewing this thread