Backstabbed in a Backwater Dungeon: My Party Tried to Kill Me, But Thanks to an Infinite Gacha I Got LVL 9999 Friends and Am Out For Revenge - Ch. 104

Dex-chan lover
With the dwarves being so comically exceptional so far I thought the catch would be that they would still be cold-blooded people that wouldn’t care about any lives. Treating humans equally unlike the other races because nothing is as interesting as their crafts.
It’s a borderline plot twist to see their king actually honors their dead and memories of the fallen. We see here in spite of a dangerous obsession with research they still care and that the dwarf that backstabbed the MC was seemingly the exception to the rule.

Dex-chan lover
Back to revenge huh? Hope the expand of the lore a bit more, it looked promising to say the least

Dex-chan lover
I know the series probably isn't that deep in it's intention, but this shows how naturally certain cultures feed into personal values on a large scale.

Dwarves appear to be 'alright' for the most part because they prioritize progress and pursuit of knowledge. Inherently that also implies concern and respect from others...progress is meaningless if not applied to civilization at large which means consideration for others. While pursuit of knowledge requires sharing and mentorship.

Beastmen have natural shared camaraderie in their pack mentality, but their hierarchal values causes them to drastically devalue those who they see as inferior to them. The dog eat dog mentality causes them to be cruel to those below them, but this will probably make them easier to subjugate once the whole nation recognizes Light as superior.

High elves prize status above all things. They have an ingrained culture of nobility, leading them to pursue any means of aggrandizing themselves. It's likely the current gene pool of Elves were directly descended from 'Masters' at one point based on the story so far, meaning they lack any historical cultural values where they were not always of high status. Notions of hard work or mutually beneficial relationships are absent outside of the pursuit of greater status.

Dark elves are almost similar to Dwarves, but they lack the desire to pursue progress for the sale of all. That key cultural element leads them to pursue research or enterprises that are machiavellian or outright cruel. An initial lack of moral compunction across the whole race likely amplified and accelerated this moral degradation across he whole race. Individuals like them exist among Dwarves, most notably Naano. But Dwarves have likely enshrined in law and social custom guardrails against such behavior, preventing their own long term spiral into such a state. Dark elves might have descended from High Elves who lost their Master bloodlines early, and sought other means to maintain their status. The difference with Dwarves shows the benefit of a strong central social fabric over the fragmented one the tribal Dark Elves have.

I think this shows that civilization shouldn't always be taken for granted, nor should certain values that change from one generation to the next be considered the subjective purview of the people of the time. Society can degrade, and it can affect the value system of all people who live within it, especially in the long run over multiple generations. And the end result could end in something ugly.

Be like the funny grandpas. Don't be stinky elves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread