Baili Jin Among Mortals

Dex-chan lover
I’m pretty excited for this, I can’t wait to learn about taoism from this gay fairy lol. Thanks for the translations!

Oh, I read the raws for this, not a bad one. A little bit slow but most Chinese Yuri manhua are so I'm fine with it. Glad you guys picked it up! Thank you for your hard work!

There are lots of nice GL arent translated yet, and one of them is this manhwa. Thank you very much for translating this one.

Group Leader
@Saiangeli It's more complicated than saying 'China is anti-gay', it's as if I said 'The US is anti-gay' because Disney didn't let any gay couple be in their series, til, like, right now (The Owl House). In fact, the one time weibo tried to shut down lesbian and gay stuff, the users pushed back, and the shut down was cancelled (no one knows this because only the fact that there was to be a 'crackdown' was reported, when it died down no one cared to check what happened lol). There are lots of GL and BL manga in China, they are not getting censored. Hell, you can even find some if you scroll down on Bilibili, on Weibo too of course as this manga.

Thanks for the translation, team, this looks like a great series!

Dex-chan lover
I saw this a while ago but couldn't read it because it wasn't translated, glad it is now though

@darkmaster006 You should check out Tamen De Gushi, the author couldn't continue with the explicit lesbian story because of the Chinese government censoring it. Comparing Disney to the Chinese government just doesn't make any sense. They both 'censored' it for different reasons (Disney didn't really censor or take down lgbt+ things in the first place, just didn't include them). Disney didn't include any lgbt+ couples in the first place because of marketing, homophobic parents wouldn't let their kids watch it and they would lose money. In the Chinese government's case however, they censored it to control what people saw. So Disney didn't take action against lgbt+ couples, they just didn't endorse it. The Chinese government took action against the manhwa and forced the author to stop writing it, that's the key difference.

Group Leader
@Donirexian I know that 'Tamen de Gushi' was censored. But in fact, it was asked by the publishing house to remove the kissing scene, and the author didn't agree to this. You're conflating 'the Chinese government' with 'a publishing house'. While, yes, the Chinese government does require foreign media to pass their censors, this is not the case with 'Tamen de Gushi' as it is a Chinese manhua. It was the publisher's decision to cancel the publication of the second volume. There's no indication that the government was involved, though it may as well have been, to be honest, and it's a shame that the publication was cut off, Tamen de Gushi is an amazing story. You can check the message here: https://velvetrouge.tumblr.com/post/169814029146/regarding-the-issue-of-sq-publication-i-would
Sadly, China is still behind in the rights for same-sex people, roughly at the state where the US was before 2005. China, in that regard, and as a society (the government too, but also the companies, etc.) is behind other countries that have in recent times made leaps in these rights. There are some 'cohabitation' laws, but, as far as I know, for example, adoption by same-sex couples is still prohibited. Thankfully, things seem to be picking up, and recent government polls to change laws have seen positive pro-same-sex views, especially from young people (old people remain very homophobic still). But to imply that all yuri will get cancelled in China, when you can literally find yuri to read in bilibili (the biggest Chinese video-streaming platform, which also has articles, manhua, etc.; LILY is an example (https://manga.bilibili.com/detail/mc26826) but there are many more, just look at the right panel) is nonsense. Tamen de Gushi is still coming out, it's just that the publication in paper was cancelled by the publishing house, yet the author still seemed to leave the window open to a future publication. For example, read this on the Weibo clampdown and subsquent easing of which I'd talked before, where Weibo (which is a Chinese company and not part of the government) clamped down on homosexual content and had to stop clamping down on it because its users were enraged, in fact, the People's Daily, a government-owned newspaper, was in favour of the users, not the company: https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/04/17/its-still-just-about-ok-to-be-gay-in-china/
China's internal politics are much more complex than what people think, that's why saying 'wont this just get shut down because china is anti gay' is uninformed. In fact, this same manga, which is yuri, is published in Bilibili (https://manga.bilibili.com/detail/mc27287) and the authors have a weibo. Other yuri manga in China also are published in Weibo.

Also, on the Disney comparison: https://screenrant.com/gravity-falls-disney-lgbtq-representation-alex-hirsch/
Yes, Disney did censor purposefully. It doesn't exactly matter what purpose it had (we don't really know it, do we?). It could as well be the same purpose the publishing house of Tamen de Gushi had for not publishing it (they could've thought their customers would be angry they were publishing yuri? they could've thought the government would be angry? who knows).

EDIT: Reading a bit more, it does seem to imply that the cause of the cancellation is the General Assembly, although I'm unaware of any laws on censorship passed or if it was intensified, would need someone who understands Chinese to look into it. But if so, ugh. The manga is still up on ac.qq (https://m.ac.qq.com/comic/index/id/630157) (the publishing house)—ironically enough with the kiss scene being the first one shown lmao—and on Baidu.

Dex-chan lover
I gotta say, the artwork makes this into the uncanny valley. It's like those meme comics of gruesome shit but everyone just has the Vault Boy smile. They don't emote much, and it weirds me out since everything else is drawn so well, but the faces don't move.

Dex-chan lover
Hey I've seen these two before

EgqTlMf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread