Baki Dou (2018)

@ezloklap

Because usually the big fighters now come from some underground thing or have been the elites for a while. Having 5 *grand sumos* come out of nowhere and ruin some other professional martial artists like they were *nothing* is rather annoying.

Dex-chan lover
Hmpf, manga's overhyping Sumo too much. IRL, back when the first real Mixed Martial Arts matches were held, Sumo got wrecked.

I'm not remembering what happened to Retsu. Last I remember he got
munched on by Caveman guy. I don't think he actually died though?
Anyone got the chapter / series for this?

pls ping me w/ reply

Are we really supposed to take Sumo seriously now? Sumo?

I know this author is extremely pro japanese but trying to suddenly make Sumo into a godly martial art is a bit bonkers. Especially after he's already dumped on sports like Boxing (rightly) as being too hemmed in by rules and not a good way to fight in a no holds barred situation. Sumo is even more so as it's based on moving, throwing or pushing your opponent out of a small ring, not necessarily doing damage to them.

Fed-Kun's army
@Violu If you're still interested and don't remember, check out the prequel to this that is simply called [Baki Dou] and it's around Chapters 64-65.

Group Leader
@Moogal Since they can't do public death matches anymore, sumo has those strict rules to keep it as close to a DM as possible. Imagine the circle as a platform in the dead-center of a bottomless pit, if you get pushed/pulled out of the ring you (imaginarily) fall to your death. On the other hand imagine that the inside of the ring is a pressure/touch sensitive plate, that's only calibrated for 4 points of contact (both wrestler's feet). If a fifth point of contact, such as a hand/knee/etc makes contact after the match starts, (imaginarily) a spike would shoot up and kill that person.

Yes my examples are Edgelord-y, but that's the spirit behind sumo. In Boxing you're just trying to knock a guy out or score technical points, in Sumo it's figuratively Kill or Be Killed.

Dex-chan lover
For all the people complaining about the author portraiting sumo as the ultimate martial art now, the final boss of this series is a guy that trounces armies with martial arts, is treated as a nuke and has the president of the US as his lackey just because when he appears in front of them he makes them piss themselves. And like him there are other similar guys around, like a giant human vacuum or a clone of a samurai.

Just don't. This guy is on Kojima's level of absurdity in a supposed real world, don't question the logic behind.

Dex-chan lover
@mug3n Right? This is a world that canonically has yeti/big foot creatures and has a literal caveman that got frozen thousands of years ago and brought back to life, that was somehow smart enough to learn human speech and how to disguise himself in a crowd of people without anyone teaching him. Also there was that massive whale sized elephant that Yujiro Hanma killed with his bare hands. Trying to find reality in this manga is a silly idea.

Dex-chan lover
@sedition And my favorite of all time: a make believe battle of cooking imaginary breakfast for your father, who is your final boss too, and declaring victory on him because you made him say the miso soup was a little too salty. It's beyond indian martial arts movies level of absurdity and because Itagaki is goddamned genius storyteller, it is perfectly done and convincing in it's internal world.

In conclusion, yeah, this manga is freaking nuts in a very good way.

Probably because Baki still fucking hates Yujiro. He respects him but he doesn't like him.

@spicypeppers it's been stated that those two fighting each other is the equivalent of two countries going to war. They would have section of a certain location just to allow the fight to take place. And those battle maniacs will turn a simple spar into a death match in .05 seconds literally

@BigCoffee Good point. It's not like Baki (usually) has anything better to do though. He might as well improve just in case. And Yujiro is apparently just bumming around as well.

@Kai911 Good point.

Man you are right i cant wait for the rest of these sumo guys showing up being cool then getting there ass kicked like in the Chinese tournament

Just wait until the OGRE crashes the tournament! I don't know for sure but I feel like that's gonna happen xD

So Aiki won because Sumo underestimated it. But now everyone else after that knows the stakes.

My predictions: Doppo and Katsumi will lose, while Hanayama, Baki and Nomi no Sukune are going to win.
Doppo to keep the keep the stakes up and Katsumi because he's Katsumi.

Users who are viewing this thread