BEASTARS - Vol. 18 Ch. 153 - Howl of the Losing Dogs: A Fine Melody

Dex-chan lover
@OniBarubary
Cephalopod intelligence scares me. They don't think like other animals. Literally. They have nine brains that act somewhat independently.
Each limb can perform tasks, react, gather information, as well as receive it from the central brain.

We can't measure their intelligence on our terms. They are alien to us in ways that get stranger with more research.

@Mocha-Shakea-Khan

Humans did not breed dogs into existence

This is mostly true. Dogs split off from wolves 20-40,000 years ago, but we only have evidence for deliberate breeding by humans back to about 10,000 years ago. Much of the domestication process would have happened before that.

Most modern breeds are the result of deliberate breeding, of course, including all the breeds we see in Jack's special class.

and dogs did not evolve directly from wolves. Dogs and wolves were a divergent evolution; they evolved from a similar ancestor.

This is mostly false; pretty much all the extinct critters that may have given rise to dogs are classified as wolves, and you'd call them wolves if you saw them alive. (The jury is still out on whether dog ancestors would qualify as gray wolves in particular, because canids interbreed like crazy and their evolutionary tree is super-messy. But they definitely fell into the group represented by gray, Indian, and Tibetan/Himalayan wolves.)

Put another way, Jack's not wrong to think that Lugosi closely resembles his own ancestors...uh, except for the komodo dragon grandpa thing.

Its similar to humans; we didn't evolve from apes we evolved from a similar ancestor.

We didn't evolve from any modern ape species, but we definitely did evolve from earlier apes, and apes we remain. Our last common ancestor with chimpanzees was neither chimp nor human, but it would be easily recognizable as a generic ape: opposable thumb, broad shoulders and chest, flat face, no tail, etc.

Now, there is an ongoing debate about the term "monkey" within biology, and whether it's appropriate to say that humans and other apes are also monkeys. But the definition of "ape" is considerably more settled than that.

@nfzeta
Cat overlords would be totally funny, though. I can just imagine it...
Big room with large, half-full round table in the middle: "Now, we do need to make this really important decision. Ah. Where's the other half of our overlords? Away lazying around and sniffing catnip? Well damn. Alright, let's make a decision. Everyone, give me your fur, we are choosing via fur length! Let's get this over with, I want some catnip, too!"

Also, who knows, maybe the dog overlords are ruled by some cats...

I'm glad we finally have some good character development for Jack, I always felt like he could've used more. He's broken my heart a little. I'm dying to know about the wars

Dex-chan lover
Called it. He wasn't thinking about eating the onions in the first place, but he is really depressed. Didn't predict he'd eat one out of spite though.

Man, the panels where they really emohasize just how huge Legoshi is are always so cool.

I really want to see this in the anime eventually to actually hear Legosi's howl :3 also I hope we get to hear Juno's howl

bro ... the carnivores were probably forced through a eugenics program to be bred into dogs ...
Oof.

"No don't kill yourself your such a good boy"

Pretty much sums that up

Very Wholesome

Banned
@squerl
Now, there is an ongoing debate about the term "monkey" within biology, and whether it's appropriate to say that humans and other apes are also monkeys. But the definition of "ape" is considerably more settled than that.

Well, if we start being monkeys, we'll also have to be fish. We're already sarcopterygians.

WHOLESOME!!! Not what I expected, but what I needed... Holy fucking shit!!! This manga can't get any better!!!
Teach me your ways, Paru!!!

Users who are viewing this thread