BEASTARS - Vol. 21 Ch. 187 - Thinking About The Phrase "Run Like A Scared Rabbit"

Group Leader
Discord community link. Come for the fun discussion, release pings, special unreleased omake, side stories, leaks and stuffs. https://discord.gg/Beastars

Time for my usual Chapter review. Sorry for the delay this week, personally tired, and had to read the chapter multiple times to understand it. It is a key moment in the series. I have to thank Etho and other in the discord server for their inputs here

Chapter title: [Run like a Scared Rabbit] is an actual phase. With the cover art, shows Legoshi will be acting like one. This is separate from his chimera [Fusion between wolf and Rabbit] where he actually acts like a rabbit.

Page 03 middle top panel is flashback to Ch 40 pg 12. Technically Louis wasn’t seen there in person, but for all we know, he was following Legoshi to shoot the Boss. We actually don’t know when Louis arrived at base.

Louis is shocked since Legoshi as we know has never run away before. He was stubborn and faced things despite the odds. The closest thing to running away is Ch 94 with Riz, escaping with Louis. However that was only a break since Legoshi had intention to return to the fight. However, as pointed out, Legoshi technically ran away in ch 151 by running away from the police. While it seemed obvious he would run away from the Police, there is the similarity in his words. Ch 151 has Legoshi asking why he isrunning away. Same case here. Legoshi doesn’t know why runs away.

Something happened for Legoshi to decide to run away, but we did not see that. But looking back, it doesn’t matter when you look at Legoshi whole attitude for Melon and arc in general.

Pg 07 mentions Legoshi is getting weaker. This seems strange since there is no reason for Legoshi to weaken, when only Melon Changed. However, this becomes clear when you consider what strength entails for Legoshi. Legoshi’s abilities correlates with his mental attitude. Weakening when he doesn’t want to do things [suck at school activities, says not athletic, Bite power]. His ability increases when his Conviction/Belief is at all time high [Shishigumi Boss, Riz]. Also note that Ch 155, Bill notes Legoshi is strong. This [Strong] refers to Legoshi’s conviction [ch 17] and not Physical ability. So Legoshi is losing his conviction [see how he couldn’t continue punching Melon in ch 184]. Weaker refers to both loss of conviction and abilities since it the same.

While it seems Melon has gotten stronger, he is not physical strength as peak Legoshi, who is known to break/crack walls [Ch 69, 160]. Rather even Riz cracked the wall when smacking Legoshi. This show the fight is more on Legoshi’s end.

Pg 09 Holding neck for love is confusing, until you realize Beastars is anthro series. Cats, Dogs hold their babies by their scruff of their neck.

The hands are ch 23 and 83.

Legoshi finally realizes that morals < his life. While that would have been good to realize in the previous arc, it has a stronger impact in this Arc with the events before. Before Melon, His Mentality was [He doesn’t care about if he died]. But everything accumulated to [not being afraid to die] to [afraid to die, will struggle to live]. See Etho post in Discord for more details.

Coward = Fear for their own life => flight or fight. In Legoshi other fights, Legoshi didn’t have a FoF response, as you can see he didn’t run away [or consider the options]. But In this fight, Legoshi did. This change, noted by Kyuu, allows Legoshi to have a stronger fight response.

Notice how the change in Legoshi occurred BEFORE Kyuu yelled the end command [Okay in HCS / Goodboy in Hybridgumi]. So Legoshi was already changing before Kyuu. Kyuu Command just unleashed Legoshi.

Bouncing above, the trigger for Legoshi changed his mind doesn’t matter. Legoshi running away is already growing starting from multiple factors of this arc. He developed Survival instincts. If he didn’t run away, Legoshi would be attempting to fight melon with weaken ability [see Ch 71 vs Riz]

Melon’s mother talked about eating his dad, but she never out-right said that she killed him (I don’t think she did?). So that really could be Melon’s father or at the least, a very close relative, like an uncle or even grandpa. What his mother probably meant when she said that she eat his father is that while pregnant, her cravings / instincts got the best of her, and she ripped a chunk out of one of her husband’s limbs. His father probably got a restraining order on her after that or he just out-right stayed the f*ck away from her and the child out of sheer fear of that happening again.

okay, from now on I think I will wait for your translations to come out before I read the chapter.

Group Leader
Sorry for the delay,broke our promise of Monday.

We had a few difficult pages, say pg 06

Thanks for the chapter! Your version is definitely worth the wait! I also enjoy a lot your funny edits.

Reading Beastars update for new content? Nah. Reading Beastars update for funny edits? YES

Anyway, idk but that bunny eared Legoshi is cursed X(

Thanks for the translation! This was easier to understand.
A little surprised you didn't go for the jjba reference in the edits, but referencing a previous chapter of this series is actually better.

Users who are viewing this thread