BEASTARS - Vol. 9 Ch. 77 - The Naivete of a Honey Hunt

Fed-Kun's army
He's a psycho? No, no. What are you talking about. Every single carnivore in this manga is a closet "psycho". Eating meat is enough to make them crave it like drug addicts and see other people as nothing but food.

I wonder how people care so much about the characters in this manga. They're not relatable at all and the author made sure that this manga isn't easy to be immersed into. I just feel neutral about everything happening. Be it carnivores or herbivores, the ones who take darker or lighter paths, it's all the same to me. I don't even really care about the mc when he gets into a pinch. Hell, even if he died and was replaced, I wouldn't really feel anything, at most I'd drop this manga because the main character is always the main supporting pillar of any manga.

The reason I read this despite not feeling anything for the characters is because it's unique, never repetitive and quite fascinating and interesting. But I truly don't care about the characters or what happens to them, this is simply not a manga like that to me. I would usually take the mc's side and care a lot, but in this one I really couldn't give less of a fuck about them.

@Seregosa Everything in this manga is a dramatization of real life problems with some fantastical problems sprinkled in. Though sometimes that's hard to see... Not really though. The mc is socially awkward to the extreme, Haru is a slut, Louis feels the need to be on top. These are all very real things. When put into these situations too... Everything becomes just that bit worse and you can't help but feel sympathy. Normally you'd just think "haha it's their own fault!" But when these traits surfaced because of things they can't change it takes on new meaning.

Dex-chan lover
Sorry, I know this was a very heavy chapter, but did you guys see the cute flock of ducks in the background????

Dex-chan lover
@sparrowhawk

I would have missed that if you didn't point it out, thank you!

Oh man, poor Tem. He seemed like a really good guy.

This makes me see everything in such a new light, but it also has me thinking that maybe the initial portrayal in the beginning of the manga isn't actually how it went down. I'm just a little confused about some details of the initial scene in comparison to this newly shown one.

Anyway, this is a really somber chapter. It's kind of shocking, but not too much considering the author's style. I feel like this author humanizes the characters (even the very bad ones) to show just how much is lost to conflicts when people forget that others are just as human as they are. It also highlights a underlying cruelty in this world of theirs though. Like, they both had what the other needed. Tem saw the bear for who he was, and the bear really needed that kind of acceptance in his life at that point, yet it all just lead to tragedy.

The one part of the bear's struggle that is the grossest out of them all, for me, is how he just chalked the incident down to adolescence. I mean, that kind of thing obviously isn't even that common in their world, but the fact that he takes it in such stride is a little bit detestable. :/

@purrence I don’t think Tem said hide things after calling Riz a monster, if you look at the very next panel the art style gets idealized and the curtain in the background are inexplicably closed.

The implication is that in his madness he created a justification/hallucination for his actions.

Dex-chan lover
@Purrence I think it's part of traumatic shock that makes him chalk it off as such, you could say he dissociated from the incident, blocked it off
sometimes that happens to ptsd patients, where they think about a traumatic experience with much less weight than they actually carry, a form of unconscious denial

@elefantine97 I hadn't ever considered that, but that does make me see Riz in a whole new light. Like, he could just be a cold and calculating guy, but then again he could just be behaving the way he does to cope and bury what had happen before. This already makes me want to re read the manga to see things more clearly...!

From the shadows in the first ch of the original perpetrator, to Riz now, I definitely think the author tweaked some things about the original story line to fit the current timeline. Or im wrong! :^)

Banned
@Seregosa : Pretty sure it is just you. Even for that though, the fact you bring it up at every possible opportunity suggests you're really trying to push your angle for some reason. Maybe you really don't relate, but it bothers you that the characters are relatable to others... or maybe they really are relatable but something about it rubs you the wrong way so you're just in denial. Who knows? Perhaps you hate hate it because it is a full on furry manga and not the usual huge-eyed human stock.

Anyhow... there is nothing wrong with the characters. It is all you.

Users who are viewing this thread