Beatrice - Vol. 1 Ch. 34

Double-page supporter
@ParagonNight yeah its one of those things that like... i GET why it works within the context of the universe the author has created (which i personally feel is very unnecessary and weak humor, but like... theres a lot of very "weird" things going on in this manhwa. this joke is the least of its issues)

but at the same time its like.... the author already did this! the gag concluded in a plot-relevant way! why do it again except for some low-hanging humor? esp when this manhwa is building towards a romantic conclusion between these two characters. I could elaborate on this more, but I've already dumped on you enough as it is. Sorry about that, I didn't realize I had so many thoughts about this until I started typing my reply! I think half of my frustration comes from this particular kind of joke being inherently homophobic, and the other half from how frustrated I am with the writing & plot progression overall.

@moderateTrouble I would like to point out that the manhwa is based on a korean light novel. There may be some details missing that are included in the novel and provides much more context. While some manwha artists do go more freestyle with diverging from a novel's plot. There are also some who chose to stay quite faithful to the novel. This may explain why sometimes it feels things may get repetitive (as they may seem better spaced out when consumed as a webnovel) and you really shouldn't blame the artist for "low-hanging humor" and and plot progression.

Let us all walk into the warm imbrace of Corona-Chan, there we way eat some bat soup :)

@moderateTrouble lol No problem. Its nice to hear others thoughts on a subject. I feel like I am willing to put up with a lot in a story as long as I perceive it to be fun or good. Im fine with a lot of controversial aspects as long as its not outright hate speech (directed at the audience/reader/attempting to influence people) and as long as it works or makes sense within the world / setting.

According to history, the main character does not know the customs of the country in which she found herself. That is why there are many misunderstandings, such as the fact that a trip around the country is a reward for healing a horse. In addition, the pace of action does not give time for any character to explain what's going on. Nice setting for creating dramas.

The misunderstandings about the arch duke keep getting worse...

My only question is how did she warm up to him so much while still keeping that fear for her life alive. It doesn't fit well together to think on one hand "he might kill me" and the other "but he's nicer than his power hungry dad."

Double-page supporter
@ParagonNight Yeah I totally agree!! Thanks for reading my rambling reply and for you replies. I've been really interested to see what others think of this manwha.

@Seraphinalily I didn't realize it was a webnovel previously! Thank you for the info. That does shed some light into why the plot is structured as it is. And to be clear, I was specifically complaining about the writing, not the art. Personally, I feel the art is the strongest part of Beatrice. I have no interest in the webnovel so I can't speak to the faithfulness of the adaptation one way or the other, but the story and character relationships in this specific work are poor. Sometimes well-executed style and composure can support a weak narrative, but I don't feel like that's the case here. The writing in the webcomic itself is, in my opinion, not good. And I totally get what you're saying with faithfulness to the original work impacting things like pacing in the adaptation, but I think that even if it worked in the original webnovel, how it's presented in this manwha does not work well and that's something that can be fairly criticized. Knowing that it's an adapted story though is interesting, and I'll keep that in mind going forward... Thank you, again, for the info!!

Aggregator gang
Roflmfao
Yes, let the misunderstandings go higher! But the maids who ruined the clothes must be punished

Dex-chan lover
@missmercurial: Well, since her initial image of him is likely influenced by their first encounter (reminder that he ordered her execution initially, and only thanks to the long haired knight that she's alive atm) she already started out in the negative on that front.

And slowly she's seeing his non-'fuck my father and all these scheming nobles that would backstab their friend for their own gain' (reminder that her husband sold out the country) side her evaluation of him is slowly rising up from that depth.
But his almost permanent stoic face and the misunderstandings on her (and his in some part) sides kinda make her still scared he might punish her heavily.

Basically she's the smol animal stuck in a tiger cage. Even if she's finally learned that the tiger isn't going to nom'd her, when it showed any sign of aggression it's still scary to her.

Users who are viewing this thread