Before I upgrade my RAM

Dex-chan lover
In This Thread (ITT): I want to consult to you guys before I upgrade my laptop's RAM. I've talked to my friend quite extensively about this, but I just want to make sure before committing to it.

First of all, why do I wanna upgrade my RAM? Cuz having 4GB RAM sucks ass. I mainly want to play Wuthering Waves without it looking like a goddamn PowerPoint presentation.

With that out of the way, here's my laptop model:
Laptop-Model.jpg

I did a some searching and I'm pretty sure this model is "upgradable". But here's where I'm having issues: I checked through cmd (using wmic memphysical get maxcapacity) that my laptop can only handle 12GB of RAM
Max-Capacity.jpg

And I only have 1 free slot for RAM. The other one is 4GB and it's soldered to the motherboard.
Task-Manager.jpg

which sucks, cuz I think Wuthering Waves' minimal requirement of RAM is 16GB. But then I searched a bit more and found that I can actually surpass the memory limit. Like
Simple-Google-Search.jpg

And also these two videos (showing a Lenovo Ideapad 3 handling an extra 16GB of RAM, in Indonesian. Pretty convincing).

So here I am, conflicted; should I play it safe and buy a 8GB RAM? Or should I just go ahead and buy a 16GB RAM? Feel free to correct any mistakes I made and please tell me before I pick the wrong choice :notlikethis:

Power Uploader
"wmic memphysical get maxcapacity" gives you max size per slot, not total. Use "wmic memphysical get maxcapacity, memorydevices" alternatively. I wouldn't rely on those commands however. For example checking my motherboard specs, the max RAM indicated is 4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB in dual channel and I get 67108864 as MaxCapacity, which could be interpreted as 4x64 GB.

I would buy a 2x8 GB. If you're not lazy like me, try 2x12 and return it if it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I would buy a 2x8 GB. If you're not lazy like me, try 2x12 and return it if it doesn't work.
Firstly, thank you for answering. I'll take note of that cmd command.
I'm pretty new to the computer/laptop spare part stuff, so excuse me if I'm misunderstanding, but I thought there aren't any 12GB RAMs? Not to mention, I only have 1 free slot.

Power Uploader
Firstly, thank you for answering. I'll take note of that cmd command.
I'm pretty new to the computer/laptop spare part stuff, so excuse me if I'm misunderstanding, but I thought there aren't any 12GB RAMs? Not to mention, I only have 1 free slot.
I forgot the "soldered to the MB" part and yeah you're right it's not standard, I just took the max capacity you got without thinking. And it makes that number even weirder to me, considering what I get and the videos you linked. So 16 GB and if it doesn't work, return it and get a 8 GB, fuck it.

EDIT : The command from before could also somehow returns the maximum RAM available to install ("This value comes from the Extended Maximum Capacity"). Watching the second video you linked (first one is a slim model), he used a 16 GB stick and ended up with 16 GB total on task manager (4 soldered + 12). It's consistent with my number. In any case, going over the real limit in RAM will either end up in your PC not booting and beeping or not having the extra memory recognized.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
In any case, going over the real limit in RAM will either end up in your PC not booting and beeping or not having the extra memory recognized.
Well, considering that the price of a 16GB RAM is like 3 weeks worth of groceries, I think I'm going to play it safe and buy a 8GB for now. Thank you for your answer. Just one more thing, though.
Watching the second video you linked (first one is a slim model), he used a 16 GB stick and ended up with 16 GB total on task manager (4 soldered + 12). It's consistent with my number.
I thought the number should be 4GB+16GB. How did it become 4GB+12GB? Did the faster RAM adapt to the slower RAM, or something?

As has been said, try a 16gb module, if it doesn't pick it up, return and order 8gb instead. Just make sure it matches up to the system's spec (should be a DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM)
Unfortunately though, even with 16gb added, it may not boost performance all that much. The CPU in there is a VERY low end model, and will have a GPU to match, so while more memory will give the GPU more to allocate (it has no dedicated memory, so some system memory goes to the GPU, hence "4gb (3.38gb useable)" as 0.62gb has been used for video). You'll likely see a small boost, but not a huge amount. Maybe it'll be enough to be playable, but I'm not familiar with the game, so can't say for sure.

Dex-chan lover
Unfortunately though, even with 16gb added, it may not boost performance all that much. The CPU in there is a VERY low end model, and will have a GPU to match, so while more memory will give the GPU more to allocate (it has no dedicated memory, so some system memory goes to the GPU, hence "4gb (3.38gb useable)" as 0.62gb has been used for video).
Thank you for your answer. In that case, I'll go with 8GB upgrade, and then when I have enough budget I'll try using 16GB.

Dex-chan lover
With those specs I would simply replace the whole laptop, unlike PCs they are less durable and when you replace/upgrade one part in an old one you'll barely notice much improvement in performance. It depends on how much you can spend, but I doubt that laptop works with a SSD, which makes the same hardware work more efficiently. If you don't need to move to work then a PC is much better for the same price, in case you need a laptop then make sure it can run properly for all your needs.

Dex-chan lover
Forget it, the game won't play at all with your config, even after adding more RAM. The processor is way under the minimal config requirement, same for the integrated graphic card. An AMD Athlon Silver 3050U processor is not a powerfull processor, it's less than the intel i5 (9th Gen) / Ryzen 2700 minimal. Same for the graphic card. And when i say way under, it's order of magnitudes below.

Don't buy RAM for the game, especially if it's very expensive. Forget playing the game, at all, it won't work, don't even try it. If you want to buy RAM, you will just have better Windows experience, the game won't run clearly better. And if your computer is old, it will help a little, but i'm not sure if the MRA will be usable on a future computer.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It depends on how much you can spend, but I doubt that laptop works with a SSD, which makes the same hardware work more efficiently.
My laptop does have SSD, though.
Solid-State-Drive.jpg

Don't buy RAM for the game, especially if it's very expensive. Forget playing the game, at all, it won't work, don't even try it.
Phew, I can see why you're saying that. That's why I'll buy the 8GB for now; just a cheap temporary upgrade. I'm not gonna lose much from buying and installing a 8GB RAM, compared to 16GB.

Dex-chan lover
Then yes, adding a 8GB RAM will help you use Windows with common applications and there'll be some improvement, but if you wanted to play games from nowadays... even the Indie ones are not always optimised so they consume more than they need.

Dex-chan lover
FYI, You'll need a 64-bit OS to make full use of more than 4 GB of RAM.
The fact that it says (3.38 GB Usable) may be a limitation created by running a 32-bit version of Windows.
If that is the case, upgrading the RAM won't help without also replacing your Windows installation with a x64 version.
Are you prepared to back up all your data and reinstall your operating system (and possibly buy another Windows license)?

More RAM will help improve performance (on a x64 OS) as you'll be swapping less to the slower storage, but it won't be long before you realize that the dual-core CPU also "sucks ass"...

Personally, I wouldn't want to invest much money on the limited possible upgrades for such a low-performance system.
I'd recommend saving your money and using it towards replacing the computer entirely with something better.
If you are in the US and looking to save some money, Micro Center frequently has great deals on certified refurbished laptops.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
FYI, You'll need a 64-bit OS to make full use of more than 4 GB of RAM.
The fact that it says (3.38 GB Usable) may be a limitation created by running a 32-bit version of Windows.
If that is the case, upgrading the RAM won't help without also replacing your Windows installation with a x64 version.
Are you prepared to back up all your data and reinstall your operating system (and possibly buy another Windows license)?

More RAM will help improve performance (on a x64 OS) as you'll be swapping less to the slower storage, but it won't be long before you realize that the dual-core CPU also "sucks ass"...

Personally, I wouldn't want to invest much money on the limited possible upgrades for such a low-performance system.
I'd recommend saving your money and using it towards replacing the computer entirely with something better.
If you are in the US and looking to save some money, Micro Center frequently has great deals on certified refurbished laptops.
I think it read 3.38 GB usable because 512 MB RAM is allocated to Integrated GPU?

I would suggest give it 16GB of RAM. No need to buy more, you will be bottleneck by your CPU.

Dex-chan lover
Ah, the screenshot I provided didn't show the system type. My bad.
Laptop-Specs.jpg

Not sure about the dual core CPU. Couldn't find anything on that, though. Ack, it is dual core.
I dunno if this off-topic, but while we're here, I want to ask:
Wikichip.jpg

Does this mean that my laptop can handle 32GB of RAM, as long as it's DDR4 and it's 2400MHz?

Dex-chan lover
I think it read 3.38 GB usable because 512 MB RAM is allocated to Integrated GPU?
Might be. It's just something to check and make sure that it is x64 before needlessly spending money.

Ah, the screenshot I provided didn't show the system type. My bad.
Laptop-Specs.jpg

Not sure about the dual core CPU. Couldn't find anything on that, though. Ack, it is dual core.
I dunno if this off-topic, but while we're here, I want to ask:
Wikichip.jpg

Does this mean that my laptop can handle 32GB of RAM, as long as it's DDR4 and it's 2400MHz?
And now we know. So you won't have to worry about my first point.

---

Now... For your question:
Laptop upgrades are unfortunately not as simple as desktop upgrades.

While the CPU may theoretically support 32GB of RAM, you may be limited to less as a result of the motherboard configuration.
The CPU may support 32GB in the form of 2x16GB. Since 4GB is non-replaceable, that leaves you with 4+16=20.

Then, even if the hardware is capable, some laptops may require BIOS update in order to expand support for more higher capacity RAM sticks, or sometimes even a 3rd-party (hacked) BIOS to allow hardware not approved by the manufacturer.
Manufactures can sometimes be dicks (I'm looking at you, Lenovo) with hardware whitelists: I had to get my BIOS hacked on my last laptop in order to replace a WiFi card.

As far as I can tell the Maximum memory for that laptop is 12GB - that is: [the onboard 4GB] + an [8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM]
Trying to put more than that in is not guaranteed to work.

I also see some places that say 20GB - that is: [the onboard 4GB] + a [16GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM]
  • It's possible that it may support 16GB sticks, but was never tested in this configuration by the manufacturer, and thus not advertised so.
  • Or it's possible that 16GB support became available later through a BIOS revision. A BIOS Update may be needed.
---

As for my second point:

Ram upgrade or not, I don't expect this machine is going to "play Wuthering Waves without it looking like a goddamn PowerPoint presentation"

Having more memory will make the computer more usable, but there is a limit to what you'll achieve with that CPU.
It'll make it less painful to open many browser tabs or documents, but the CPU is probably going to be the next most limiting factor for any attempts at gaming, video editing, virtual machines, and other such power user use-cases.

So I question the value of the upgrade in that if you're planning to do more with the machine, you'll find the next performance bottleneck with the CPU pretty quickly. A RAM upgrade will certainly improve your experience in doing whatever you're using it for now, but I'd consider a more comprehensive upgrade instead.

Then again, RAM isn't that expensive, so I'd upgrade it either way.

Here's what I'd personally do:
  • If planning to use this laptop for as long as possible, spend $30-40 to put 16GB in. If that does not work, do a BIOS update to the latest version. If it still doesn't work, return the 16GB and settle for 8GB.
  • If planning to replace the computer in the near future, spend $15-20 to put in an additional 8GB. That'll at least make it a decent computer for work and web browsing.
---

My laptop has 16GB, which is great for when I open up too many documents and browser tabs and fill up about 6-8 of it, but I have to be careful if I want to fire up some virtual machines and browse the web irresponsibly at the same time. Of course, I also have a more powerful CPU to handle that level of multitasking.

I also have a similar spec laptop with 4GB RAM and it's only tolerable for work and web browsing because it's running Linux. Windows is a bit of a resource hog and I honestly don't think I could put up with the frustration of using it with less than 8GB.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
But yes, in conclusion it's best to save money to change the whole laptop. In the meantime, things you can do to ensure the best performance:
  • Setting your battery on high consume and making sure all the settings are put to use the 100% of your laptop capacities.
  • Running an extensive virus search with your antivirus.
  • Uninstalling anything you don't need and don't remember installing (some malware and apps may be installed with others).
  • Making a copy of security or just copying everything you want to save to an external disc.
  • Formatting your laptop every two years. Also clean it properly on a regular basis.
  • After all this, the performance should improve to their maximum capacity (taking into account the hardware is no longer brand-new).

Users who are viewing this thread