Before I upgrade my RAM

Fed-Kun's army
First of all, thank you for responding to my thread. I got 12GB of RAM now, and it's seriously llfe changing. Can't believe I finished Fallout 4 with only 4GB of RAM.

The CPU and GPU, right?
Hats off to you for finishing FO4 with that amount of RAM. I played on a good PC (32 GB RAM, SSD, a decent core i5 for the time, and a GTX 1070) and still ran into a lot of issues. To imagine playing on a 4 GB RAM machine... shudder

As for what IlaiaCorde was saying, I believe they were referring to the motherboard itself -- different motherboards have different features, and not all motherboards (especially on the budget end) support every feature a CPU/GPU claims to have.

I am somewhat familiar with the computing/electronics situation in Indonesia (don't ask me how), and my advice for your next computer is to save up as much as possible and don't get anything below ~700-ish USD or about 10 million IDR -- the Indonesian market has a really nasty tendency to shaft consumers at either end of the budget spectrum. For example, I've seen ppl a few years ago getting ripped off buying budget PCs that should cost ~$200 USD but priced at 5 million IDR -- at 15000 IDR per 1 USD, that's about 333 USD -- 167% retail US price. The CPU on that build? Some early 2000s Celeron.

Dex-chan lover
Hats off to you for finishing FO4 with that amount of RAM.
Thank you! I loathe going to downtown Boston everytime I need to. Brrr.

Thank you for the tip, but unfortunately due to circumstances, I don't think I can build a PC right now. I move places often so that's why I choose to buy a new laptop. I can tell you the laptops I plan to buy, and you can tell me if these are worth it.
1. Lenovo LOQ 15 (Ryzen 7 7435HS, RTX 4060 8GB)
2. ASUS TUF A15 (Ryzen 7 7735HS, RTX 4060 8GB)
(Leaning more to Lenovo because I'm not hearing good stuff from ASUS)

For example, I've seen ppl a few years ago getting ripped off buying budget PCs that should cost ~$200 USD but priced at 5 million IDR -- at 15000 IDR per 1 USD, that's about 333 USD -- 167% retail US price. The CPU on that build? Some early 2000s Celeron.
Oof, I'll keep this in mind. I got a friend who's pretty passionate about PC building. Once again, thank you

Fed-Kun's army
Thank you for the tip, but unfortunately due to circumstances, I don't think I can build a PC right now. I move places often so that's why I choose to buy a new laptop. I can tell you the laptops I plan to buy, and you can tell me if these are worth it.
1. Lenovo LOQ 15 (Ryzen 7 7435HS, RTX 4060 8GB)
2. ASUS TUF A15 (Ryzen 7 7735HS, RTX 4060 8GB)
(Leaning more to Lenovo because I'm not hearing good stuff from ASUS)
Understandable, in that case a laptop is definitely more convenient.

I also lean more toward the Lenovo one (despite their track record being less than stellar esp. when it comes to not being actors/accomplices of state-sponsored espionage). For some reason the tech support from formerly solid brands like ASUS and MSI has recently been... lacking, according to my SEA friends. A buddy sent his MSI gaming laptop for hinge repair; it came back with creaky plastic hinges and what looked like plain clear glue dripping out of them. Haven't heard anything from those using Lenovo, so fingers crossed they're still OK. Might want to ask around some more.

That CPU and GPU should be fine for gaming at 1080p medium-high settings for most games. Just keep in mind that a lot of places in Indonesia will probably be selling builds with single DIMMs -- which means you're NOT getting any advantages of dual-channel memory (another way they try to rip off non tech-savvy people). You'd probably have to shell out for a two-DIMM kit afterward. I would recommend 2x8 GB (so 16 GB total) at the minimum.

Dex-chan lover
CPU stands for Central Processing Unit; if you ever see a computer open, it's a panel where everything is connected to. GPU is Graphics Processing Unit is another part that is the responsible of displaying the images on the screen/s you're using.

Dex-chan lover
CPU stands for Central Processing Unit; if you ever see a computer open, it's a panel where everything is connected to. GPU is Graphics Processing Unit is another part that is the responsible of displaying the images on the screen/s you're using.
in other words, a CPU is the heart of the computer, the GPU is the big brain of the computer

Dex-chan lover
CPU is both the brain and the heart, the GPU is dependent of it as everything else; the computer can run without a GPU but not with a damaged CPU (Apple is famous due having to replace them every 1-2 years, it's the priciest part). The GPU only coordinates the graphics and therefore manages the graphics card and the related hardware. Once could say the GPU are the eyes and the face if you need a body comparison.

Fed-Kun's army
CPU is both the brain and the heart, the GPU is dependent of it as everything else; the computer can run without a GPU but not with a damaged CPU (Apple is famous due having to replace them every 1-2 years, it's the priciest part). The GPU only coordinates the graphics and therefore manages the graphics card and the related hardware. Once could say the GPU are the eyes and the face if you need a body comparison.
The PSU is the heart, it's responsible for voltage/current regulation from AC mains to DC input to the various components. CPU (the thin small-ish chip on top of which is usually a big heatsink) is definitely (most of) the brain; GPU (nowadays simply the big thing with nVidia/AMD/Intel logo, lol) is the part of the brain specific to visual signal processing. Motherboard (the circuit board with connectors and various slots to plug all the other components in) is like the combination of the nervous and circulatory systems linking everything together.

A good build takes into consideration balance between all of these parts (and more) -- top-of-the-line CPU+GPU+Mobo won't be able to work half as well (or at all) if it's paired with a subpar PSU. I should know, I learned the hard way 🙃.

Dex-chan lover
The PSU is the heart, it's responsible for voltage/current regulation from AC mains to DC input to the various components. CPU (the thin small-ish chip on top of which is usually a big heatsink) is definitely (most of) the brain; GPU (nowadays simply the big thing with nVidia/AMD/Intel logo, lol) is the part of the brain specific to visual signal processing. Motherboard (the circuit board with connectors and various slots to plug all the other components in) is like the combination of the nervous and circulatory systems linking everything together.

A good build takes into consideration balance between all of these parts (and more) -- top-of-the-line CPU+GPU+Mobo won't be able to work half as well (or at all) if it's paired with a subpar PSU. I should know, I learned the hard way 🙃.
Ah, that, the motherboard is where everything is connected, I was trying to find the English equivalent. Well, the Power Supply Unit varies depending on how much the computer itself consumes, so it depends on the other components, because if the voltage is not high enough then you won't get the desired performance and if it is higher you'll be simply wasting money on a more powerful generator. Motherboards are more easily damaged on laptops because they can reach higher temperatures due having everything together and worse ventilation (the high performance ones use a special designed book stand so air can circulate in between so the high performance fan can expel hot air more efficiently), causing the rest of the hardware to get damaged, from the main parts to wifi, camera, audio/micro, screen.
New comparison: motherboard is the spine and the PSU is the digestive system. I don't know if I want to label the fan as the excretory system though (flatulance + sweet).

Dex-chan lover
First of all, thank you for responding to my thread. I got 12GB of RAM now, and it's seriously llfe changing. Can't believe I finished Fallout 4 with only 4GB of RAM.

The CPU and GPU, right?
You're welcome. 😄

And I'd say it's more of a motherboard issue to be honest. CPU's do have ram requirements tho as well. They all have a minimum, and they all have a maximum as well. Typically 64 to 128 GB for non server based cpu's.

For more information on that:

https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-memory/understanding-cpu-limitations-with-memory

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread