Binbougami ga!

Huh. So it IS possible to write a series with two female leads that doesn't have GL subtext. Spooky.

...but also great. Lots of crazy, hectic, chaotic fun.

If you like slapstick this is a must-read IMO. Momiji is one of the all time great shitstirrers of manga. It leans a little too much on the action later which it's not as good at but anytime Momiji is messing with people (or getting messed with) it's gold, and the development of Momiji and Ichiko's relationship from nemeses to friends is good.

Double-page supporter
This manga is so underated. Im amazed how many of my friends that didnt know about this manga.

One of the best comedy manga IMHO.

Dex-chan lover
Starts off great, but hits a stall in the middle, then devolves into shounen trope-y action and drama that's not nearly as well done as the comedy earlier. And the comedy itself basically disappears almost completely. It feels like the author used up all his good ideas in the beginning and middle, and then tried to tread water until he decided to finish with a predictable "all hands on deck" big boss fight.

Thankfully, the good half of the series got turned into the Anime. If you haven't seen the anime, I recommend it over the manga, although I will admit that the manga is good, is readable to the end (although it loses steam over time) and the art is very good. The artist engages a lot with his readers and acknowledges them and their fanart and original creations, many of which actually get integrated into the manga itself. Nice touch on his and Jump Square's part.

All this said, I still recommend giving this manga a try, and also checking out the Anime too.

Contributor
I actually love this manga to bits (I read the official Italian translation), but it really eats me that the only scan available in English is full of translation errors to the point of getting a few plot points wrong, so I can't recommend it to any of my friends. The anime's subs aren't much better.
On the other hand, retranslating 16 whole volumes myself is a pretty daunting task...

(Also it's minor but it really annoys me they translated "kami" as "god" instead of keeping it. Shintoist kami are NOT the same thing as Western gods, even the Italian translation was aware of that.)

This is one kind of comedy manga that have solid plot with the comedy that unexpectedly funny. Such a shame that I only found it 3 years after it's ended. This is such hidden gem, if you like gintama you'll like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread