Black Tiger

'Straight up, no chaser' is an English idiom, literally referring to consuming strong alcohol spirits with no mixers, and without swallowing anything to "help" or ease the experience of swallowing the alcohol.
In this context, it alludes to consuming this manga without considering the cultural point of view of the creators, and their expected, intended audience. That, and considering the work as if it was made for "YOU", second person, as the audience.

Group Leader
Butthurt feeling syndrome
+ Hidden agenda you aren't even able to indicate
=
Save your paranoid ramblings for Sergeant Breitbart's Delusional Hearts Club Band meeting

(Everything that is offensive for Americans is good news in my book XD)

Power Uploader
@Acarphinus: I mean, I'm an American, and I'm translating the series, and it doesn't seem offensive to me. 🤔
Sure, it's historically inaccurate, but so are plenty of spaghetti westerns, and even westerns made in the US itself. 🤠

They're just supposed to be dumb fun set in a historical setting, not something super serious, so it's easy to ignore any inaccuracies, because they don't matter to the story being told. It's a little something called suspension of disbelief. 😒

I'd have to imagine a lot of samurai series are basically the same concept, where the main focus is mostly on samurai being badasses in feudal Japan, without much of a focus on actual historical accuracy or factual events.
I never hear about Japanese people being offended by these works, so not sure why you think most Americans would be offended by a historically inaccurate Western. 🤨

Group Leader
5 people rating this 1 ?
Seems that someone somewhere under Canada is definitely triggered and butthurt XD

Power Uploader
@AFresherPerspective:
I took a break on it to focus on some other projects, but half of chapter 4 is translated.
I was also messaged recently by another group, which might be able to help me out with the cleaning & typesetting, so I might shift my focus back to it soon.

Power Uploader
Hey there! A little update for everyone about my progress on scanning this series.
For volume 2 I plan to make the transition over to physical raws so we can get higher resolution scans to really do the artwork justice. To do this I'm teaming up with another scanner, who is importing the books from Japan. He has an import coming containing volumes 1-4, and it should be arriving sometime in early September.

As for translation, I've been using digital raws for that, and thus far I've translated chapter 4 (part 1 and 2), chapter 5, and I've just started on part 1 of chapter 6.

Chapter 6 is a two-part chapter, and it's the final chapter of volume 2.
So, with any luck, volume 2 will be fully translated by the time we get physical scans of it, and as a result it will probably come out fairly quickly. The scanner I'm teaming up with also plans to handle cleaning and typesetting duties, and since he's scanning the first volume, it's likely that at some point we'll re-master it using the higher quality raws, transferring over the old typesetting.

I'm debating if I should get volume 3 digitally after finishing the translation for volume 2, in order to start translating it, but we'll see what happens with the shipment.
Anyway, look forward to more Black Tiger probably sometime around mid-September or early-October.

Power Uploader
@AFresherPerspective:
Chapters 4 and 5 have been fully translated from ebook raws. Chapter 6 is the last chapter of vol 2, and is in the process of being translated.

I'm currently waiting on 600dpi scans from Koten Gars, as the project has become a joint project. The leader of that group received volumes 1-4 in the mail a few months ago, but has been busy with real life. Last I checked was mid-December, and he said he was in the process of de-binding the books. Once the volumes get scanned, progress will hopefully go much more smoothly on the project. I'm really sorry about there being such a huge delay.

For the time being, for those of you who can't stand waiting, here's some public links for the scripts for chapters 4 and 5 if anyone would like to read along with the Japanese ebook:
Chapter 4: Part 1 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1euRN3zpiQ3tcuEI8kdcUv1ZFN6lGDjoNnJJdDTE85lg/edit?usp=sharing
Chapter 4: Part 2 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TSnCxkrBVzzMbUC7FLfKNaiX2GBYvBxR3HTGSMHCC64/edit?usp=sharing
Chapter 5 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rSmdbDLPB5UfhzBOIv0kwwpFOJ_OgjMbbQ3UwzGvs78/edit?usp=sharing

Users who are viewing this thread