Bouken ni wa, Buki ga Hitsuyou da! ~Kodawari Rudy no Kajiya Gurashi~ - Ch. 6.1 - The Vane Goat Hires Berson the Dungeon Carpenter (Part 1)

Group Leader
Never heard of a fitch. What kind of species are they?
There are a lot of things in this manga that have chunibyou names.... which is fine, this manga is just awesome with how wholeheartedly it embraces fun fantasy stuff. It's pretty much pure glee. Ahem. Anyhow, like the bunny girl is a 'harealean', the 'half-fitch' is pretty obviously a halfling.

Dex-chan lover
A spinning wheel covered in knives at arms length seems stupidly dangerous.

Dex-chan lover
If Rudy applied the design for the "automated ladder" and scaled it down, she could actually make a chainsaw. Her current buzzsaw idea is flawed because it is unwieldy and the cutting implement isn't a single solid saw disk.

Group Leader
Just to elaborate on what Sarusa has said a bit, "Fitch" is a fictional unit of measurement that first appears in Chapter 2 when Rudy talks about Death's Subtle Whisper's attack range. To give you a bit of a peek behind the translator's curtain, Mado uses the Japanese katakana "フィッチ," which is literally pronounced "fitch," and also uses an archaic kanji meaning "foot" to describe it. It appears to be a combination of the words "feet" and "inch". "Half-fitch" (in Japanese: "ハーフィッチ") is used as the name for a fantasy race the same way some settings use "Halfling" or "Half-foot."

How long is a fitch, exactly? We can't be sure yet, but if Death's Subtle Whisper has a range of 20 fitch, than it's probably closer to an inch in length than a foot. As amazing as Rudy is, I doubt a scythe of that size would have a range of over 6 meters!

But then again, when you look at the hole in the Vane Goat's wall, maybe that's not such a ridiculous range after all...

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
A fitch seems to be a rough equivalent to a foot. So they are a half foot, also known as a halfling.

Historicaly measurements were alot more localised, often conforming to a standardised vessel, weight or rod. In example there is the yardstick from various english queens and kings. Or the Go which is a small wooden vessel the japanese used to measure rice I believe.

It makes alot of sense to add odd measurements into a fantasy setting, it helps flesh the world out.
Such examples include; FFXIV use yalms and ilms as length. And tonze as weight.
Handyman Saitou in Another World uses mederaka as length, it seems to be a little over 30cm and is based off the length of a kings penis. It's also the height of the fairy in the manga.

Personally I find it more odd if a series uses the metric system. At least the imperial system is as dumb as an ye olde measurent system would be.

Dex-chan lover
We're finally all caught up! Are you liking the series so far?
Part two should come out at the end of this week, then I'll try to translate it as fast as I can.

Enjoy!
YESS!!

CONTINUE THE WORK MAN👍

Fed-Kun's army
Discovered this today and I'm really quite charmed by the setting and characters.

Rudy wants to be a weaponsmith but I get the feeling she's going to be putting up a power tool company by the end.

Dex-chan lover
Personally I find it more odd if a series uses the metric system. At least the imperial system is as dumb as an ye olde measurent system would be.
Imperial is stupid because its two different sets of native units in three/four different mathmatical bases (french base 16, english base 12, and then everything else is derivative with volume standardizing to base 2).

Metric is stupid because they went through the effort to rationalize the entire system to a standard mathmatical base, and never asked if the mathematical base was even fundamentally chosen correctly. (hint, base 10 is just base 6 in terms of how people interpret information)

both sets of measures are dumb. one is more dumb because its not even standardized internally, but mistakes were made for both. Metric is at least consistently rational.

Dex-chan lover
I love the idea of dungeon carpenters just diving in and making things easier for everyone.
Dungeon Carpenters dont really work with DnD style dungeons, you need something like this where the dungeon is an eldrich abomination that trades Loot for Food.

If its just a normal building, there really shouldnt be a labyrinth because a "Dungeon" is just a subterranean habitation. People live there, and it needs to be functional enough that people would WANT to live there. Alternatively its an abandoned mine and the risk of engineering failure is too high probability to justify performing the tasks, just blow up the mountain above.

Dex-chan lover
This creator seems to have a lot of appreciation for craftsmen, and has likely seen them at work to be able to describe the details so elegantly

Dex-chan lover
Oh of course they had to give the black guy the big fish lips. First L so far

I love the idea of carpenters going inside a dungeon once areas have been cleared to make the second passage easier. It's one of thosw things that seems so obvious in hindsight you hit yourself in the head for not thinking about it earlier.

Also, I'm convinced at this point. Rudy is just Flint from A Bug's Life

Users who are viewing this thread