Boy meets Maria

Dex-chan lover
I like it. The art style is beautiful. I got intrigued by the disclaimer and ended up enjoying it.

Anyone got the author's twitter? Loved the looks of the colored page and the flow of the characters.

The story is interesting. MC looks like an idiot, but we'll see how the character development goes.

I really like this. The art is great and the characters are nice too. I really like the protagonists. I look forward to the next chapters, thanks for translating it!!

Dex-chan lover
I'll read this in one go

I do remember that one case study where this dude was raised as a girl fked his life real hard tried to commit suicide and shit wasn't successful so good for him hope this manga doesn't end like that

Thank you for continuing to translate and post this series. At first I started to read it because I was entranced by the art work, but after reading chapter four I understand it's so much more. It shows the stories of two young children who were stripped of their youth before they could even understand it. Both of the them bearing the same dream to become a hero.

It's fantastic, the art is gorgeous and evocative, the storyline and characters are thought provoking, my only thing is.. it's not a complaint nor a gripe, and I'm sure I'll get shit for saying this, but I wish I saw more transgender stories like this, because this story, through an abstracted lens upon someone who is One Hundred Percent not transgender in any way shape or form, perfectly reflects a common transgender experience of the difficulties of being forced to live as a gender that you are not by your parents, of having people who project gendered expectations upon your body, of the difficulties that having an inconsistent physical expression of gender brings forth from one's peers, especially at a young age, and the painful doubts and inner turmoil all of that causes.

This isn't a transgender story, but I want to see transgender stories wherein transgender characters' woes are treated with the same level of gravitas as Boy Meets Maria. That disconnect brings me conflicted feelings, but I'm enjoying the story. It's definitely not Boy Meets Maria's fault that most of the depictions of transgender people are lacking in respect or narrative gravity, but the contrast becomes stark between the many schlocky, awkward, absurdly lighthearted or disrespectful manga about transgender characters (or worse, """"traps"""") and the tragic, painful experience of a non transgender boy forced to present as a girl and the ensuing difficulties he faces due to that.

I saw a portrayal once in a manga about trepanation that I also found more thought-provoking and appealing to me along these same lines than the standard rote examples, but it was still very messy and not particularly kind.

Anyways, this is a good one so far!

I'm going to make a wild guess here. I predict that Arima's dad was also Taiga's dad. Reason being is because before Taiga's mom died, we heard that his dad didn't come because he was meeting with other women. This could explain why Arima's dad also left Arima's family, because his dad would of course be infertile (because of his age), and why he left (To meet with other women). This might also lead to some interesting drama. For example, what if we get to a point where Arima actually starts getting close to Taiga, but Taiga find's out about who Arima's dad was, and distances himself away from Arima, thinking that he's the reason his dad left. Although this wouldn't really make a lot of sense, and probably isn't reasonable enough for Taiga to distance himself away, it's just a thought. Anyways, this is what I'm thinking, although, I could just be spouting some bullshit here.

Dex-chan lover
The author of this manga just passed away, can't believe they were so young, just 23.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-08-29/kimio-alive-manga-creator-kosei-eguchi-passes-away-at-23/.163444

Dex-chan lover
Oh fuck, no no no. That's devastating. I'm absolutely gutted, that's so young.

Users who are viewing this thread