Break Blade - Vol. 20 Ch. 104.2 - Final Chapter: Unreturned Soldiers (Part 2)

Dex-chan lover
Can't say I'm all that satisfied with an end like this, due to how it felt like nothing was really concluded from the main quartet, but it's nice to see that it's finished nonetheless. The mecha designs certainly had an impact on my personal tastes.

Here's to hoping the author will release something more substantial than Twitter manga in the future too. Dude's got talent for miles.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly it was obvious the Author wasn't sure where to go quite a few chapters(years!?) back. He probably simply lost the desire for the story. He still sat down and tried to make a clear cut ending (though with many mystery's unsolved) so I give him credit for pulling through.
Still I'm gonna miss it. It was one of my all time favourites for a long time.

Dex-chan lover
Can’t tell if publisher axed this or author just gave up. So many loose ends. Edit: Oh, author had health issues? Understandable then.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'll miss the mech designs, but that's about it. I guess the redhead was the spy in Delphine squad or was that plotline completely dropped? The love triangle was really half-assed. The politics were usually good, but this melodramatic princess body double plot was garbage. There isn't a single reason one had to live in a sewer. The court wouldn't have any issue with a lady-in-waiting or maid having enough resemblance to work as a double.

Dex-chan lover
I'm disappointed, I'm not glad yet it feels positive to see it at least end. or maybe its just the sigyn fanservice that makes me want to feel happy about this.

it had a good story, sad it couldn't continue anymore and reach better story arcs and conclusion. still I wish for the author's better health and that he has no regrets in this.

also, thanks for the scanlating this till the end!

Dex-chan lover
Oof this is the end? Sure feel old knowing this came out in 2006...

Well enjoyed the ride even if it was quite bumpy in the end. Can't help that having Rygart be useless in the end leaves me a tad sour even if he was like this in the beginning too.

Sad that the epilogue kinda flew over me since i forgot most characters.

Thank you for translating the end!

Dex-chan lover
Is there a good source on why it ends the way it did? Is it health related? Interest? Creative trap? Break Blade predates Knight of Sidonia by 2 years. Nihei completed 2 more projects since Sidonia but I admit he's a bit strange. Vinland predates this by a few months but on much better output. Jiro is not the most productive of artist, still managed to complete Ichigeki at least with a few more side projects. Endo started and finish All-rounder Meguru, Planet of the Fools within the same time frame. Shingeki no Kyojin started after and wrapped up before Break Blade with a fuller story as well. Historie is the other fair comparison with the author going on hiatus to finish up earlier chapters. Yet Iwaaki still at least managed to finished off some side projects while working on Historie.

Of the bunch, arguably only Shingeki no Kyojin had more success than Break Blade. Still, none of the other artists had movies produced. Did the movies made the author lose interest? How much of the success and failure of the movies affected the author output/progress? It just seems incredible to me that one of the more successful seinen/war comic of the 2000s ended like this. The world and characters were fun and intriguing albeit some serious cliché.

For people who shits on this comic, let's compare this to Class Saiyasune de Urareta Ore wa, Jitsu wa Saikyou Parameter. They are both built on similar premise, protagonist is capable of controlling a huge hunk of metal in a world torn by war and politics. I am not going to completely shit on Isekai, but let's be honest, Break Blade was much better written and executed. It was not bad, until the author decided to end it like this.

P.S. forget all the weird comparison I brought up. Break Blade first chapter was released shortly after the first season of Haruhi aired, 1 year before Evangelion Rebuild 1.0 was released. Anno Hideaki wrapped up the Rebuild series with 3.0+1.0, released in 2021. The Rebuild series started after and finished before Break Blade. That's just crazy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread