Buddha Cafe - Ch. 123 - The Spirit of Tea

Power Uploader
In their blog, travelingcameracat links to the original zen tale about Joshu saying "have some tea" to newcomers and regular visitors alike (https://dharmathink.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/kissako/). This tale is also illustrated in the Zen Comics by ioanna Salajan (where the regular character Old Monk does the same thing).

Double-page supporter
You can exploit this easily.
Halloween is a European tradition drenched in pagan origins. Nothing more, nothing less. Just don't think you should pander to foreign concepts to the point you lose your native identity though.

I think that's Joshu's point though-- there's no such as "identity". It's all the same, and drawing distinctions (such as native vs. foreign) is contrary to Zen.

Double-page supporter
@shinjachan
I mean there comes a time when your philosophical concepts are mere delusions. There is distinctive identity, For why is Joshu, Joshu? Why is he called Joshu, is that not an identity?
Shouldn't he be saying to not think ill will of other identities that are not your own?

Haha those are great questions-- My best guess is: We call him Joshu and Joshu was the name given to him by people who believe in identities, but did he call himself that? As for not thinking ill will, I think that in Buddhism even "thought" itself is an illusion. So encouraging someone to think well or not think poorly of others isn't Zen either.
I am no zen monk so I really can't answer your questions satisfactorily, but the book "Dropping Ashes on the Buddha" explains zen buddhism to start.

https://groveatlantic.com/book/dropping-ashes-on-the-buddha/
"In a cookie factory, different cookies are baked in the shape of animals, cars, people, and airplanes. They all have different names and forms, but they are all made from the same dough, and they all taste the same.
In the same way, all things in the universe–the sun, the moon, the stars, mountains, rivers, people, and so forth–have different names and forms, but they are all made from the same substance [...]
Their names and their forms are different, but their substance is the same. Names and forms are made by your thinking. If you are not thinking and have no attachment to name and form, then all substance is one. Your don’t-know mind cuts off all thinking. This is your substance. The substance of this Zen stick and your own substance are the same. You are this stick; this stick is you."

Aggregator gang
"those zen words... i like them" has the same feel as "i like your funny words magic man"

Dex-chan lover
I’m so damn glad the commenters mentioned that story. One of my favorite little zen stories. Didn’t realize the cafe was named after it!

Joshu also famous for the dog koan. “Does even a dog have Buddha-nature?” “MU!”

2-BE69288-F971-4-EDE-BCCD-C286-DDD95-D2-F.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread