Bungou Stray Dogs - Ch. 113 - World Peace

Dex-chan lover
Holy shit, Fyodor was around in Bram's time?? What the heck is he?? An immortal??

And big oof to Fukuzawa, couldn't go through with killing his friend, so instead it became Teroko who was even in love with Genichiro...

I wonder what'll happen next...hopefully the detective agency will get a break before being thrown into the next incident.

Dex-chan lover
I have not read Crime and Punishment and know very little about Dostoevsky (and I also never really looked into how much of the real person was infused into the character), but I just did a quick Wikipedia Adventure(tm) and I'm wondering if Crime and Punishment is a power that rules over life and death entirely. The power lets him just kill people as he pleases, which you may be able to correlate with the utilitarianism that Crime and Punishment was (apparently) written critical of, but he has also been shown to be possibly immortal and likely ageless, which means that his power likely isn't simply death. Additionally, Fyodor (the character) reflects parts of Dostoevsky (the author) in that he loves God greatly, which leads me to my next point.

Fyodor is himself providence incarnate and the first Ability User, given control of life and death in order to guide humanity. I can't think of any real evidence other than loving God, but it would be cool. The more reasonable thought I have is that Fyodor may be meant to mirror the Prodigal Son (which Dostoevsky apparently recounted to his children on his deathbed), having went out into the world and squandered a power that could help so many, instead committing sin and hurting others, although Fyodor is yet to return home (and this returning home part is what makes me think him having been given a grander purpose in life a more feasible possibility). His story is one of sin and forgiveness where Fyodor is doomed to an eternal life until humanity has been saved (under my crack theory) or until Fyodor "returns to his father," (which is what makes me want him to be the first and given reason from birth, as it implies a greater power which correlates to loving God's guidance) or both, likely dying afterwards. Going further into this Dostoevsky death parade, a possible self-sacrificial death meant to benefit others would connect to John 12:24, which is inscribed on Dostoevsky's grave, with Fyodor being alone in life (and if he's the first he'd have been a solitary existence), but sowing the seeds for the future in death.

To summarize: Fyodor's immortality is likely an aspect of Crime and Punishment, possibly expanding the power to full control over life and death rather than the ability to kill. Furthermore, in light of his immortal and ageless body, it is possible that he is one of the earliest Ability Users in history, and he has been wandering the world committing evil just for the hell of it ig. Additionally, when taken in tandem with what I've been led to believe Dostoevsky wrote about and his death, Fyodor may have later developments relating to his crimes that ends in self-sacrifice as a means of atonement and ending his immortal life.

This is very messy, I have a very poor memory of the finer details, and I have very little knowledge of how the story is written that may lead to the story being written like this, but food for thought nonetheless. Please insult me (and also actually correct me) if you think I'm just completely off base (for actual reasons)

while the fyodor and bram lore in this chapter was wonderful and also fueled a lot of my friends' theories and shipping ideas lmao, fukuzawa is my second fave character in this series (mori is my favorite) and seeing him in this chapter has destroyed me in ways from which i will never recover <3

as a disclaimer, i'm not a fan of fukufuku romantically (i'm the world's biggest fukumori shipper personally, no shade to anyone who does ship fkfk i just don't, it's not a bad ship i just prefer another), howeverrrr

fukuchi is and was fukuzawa's childhood best friend. fukuzawa loved and cared for him, at least on a platonic level, and now not only is he dead, but he died right after fukuzawa found out that he effectively forced him to choose between saving the agency or saving his lifelong friend and arguably the only one he still has (YMMV there because i personally still think fukuzawa and mori view each other as friends which is at least a little bit supported by the cannibalism arc & how they talk to/about each other, but it's def up for interpretation, and regardless only fukuchi knew him for as long as he did), AND set him up to be forced into a role he knew he would never have wanted or taken otherwise simply bc he was the only one he trusted to do it, but still had to force him into in the end very much against his will like...

it's awful. fukuzawa cares so much about everyone, his childhood wish was to become strong enough to protect everyone he loves and cares about for fuck's sake, and like he got it but in the worst way possible. monkey's paw situation fr. not to mention fukuchi was definitely included in that and uh. fukuzawa wasn't able to do that ultimately, and that alone has to be fucking gutting. not even mentioning the devastation and loss that comes from losing a friend in any situation, much less one like this

also can we for a second talk abt how impossible of a choice fukuzawa's facing right now. because he obviously doesn't want to allow fukuchi's plan to meet its conclusion, because he knows it's wrong and it goes against his own morals, but he knows if he stops fukuchi's plan, not only will his friend have died in vain, but he will at least feel like he's betrayed him in his dying moments. i'm sure he already feels like he betrayed him anyway (because cmon, look at him, you gonna tell me you don't think fukuzawa, the kid who wished to get strong enough to protect others without even mentioning his own self as an aside, has issues with self-blame?), but that would certainly Not help

i'm just so sad for my guy. he needs comfort and all he's getting is hurt. man who deserves the world and all he got was a cup of dirt for real​

Fukuzawa's FACE OMIFUCKING GOD LEAVE HIM BEEEEEEEEEEE 😭

Also don't tell me Fyodor can reincarnate infinitely
right literally what did fukuzawa do to deserve this he's just a middle aged single dad who meows for a living he did nothing wrong! free him!!

Users who are viewing this thread