Buzzy Noise - Vol. 4 Ch. 37

Double-page supporter
I dont blame Riku cause he experienced it 1st hand and he truly cares for Kiyosumi and their music

Dex-chan lover
fuuuuuuck man, i totally agree with riku here but im biased, this story kinda moving places all of a sudden

Dex-chan lover
To me, it seems like Riku cares more about himself than Kiyosumi. He's so adamant about not signing for a label he's willing to abandon Kiyosumi, despite Kiyosumi's desire to do just that.

It has to be Riku's way, or no way at all. At least so it seems. He even planned on ditching Ushio from the start. Asshole.

Double-page supporter
Kiyosumi has no idea about what he's getting into. For someone that can barely interact with people or understand them, he sure is acting all high and mighty in front of Riku who actually has experience in this

Dex-chan lover
@cor3zone It's more that he wants to play music and loves to play it but the experience of dealing with a record label and all the stuff that comes with it damaged it for him. It's 100% possible for management and label interference to lead to that stuff. Look at the band FLiP who were a great all-female rock band who were gaining popularity and signed with a major label. The major label then meddled and tried to push them in the direction as being more of a pop rock group instead of a hard rock group and all it did was completely kill their desire to continue leading to them to break up.

Riku's likely coming at it from the same mindset. The label has expectations and will push you in directions you might not want to go to and he'd rather keep his and Kiyosumi's love of making and playing music than risk having it destroyed by pushy label suits who feel like they know better than the musicians and fans which could also push him apart from his friend. Maybe he's right and maybe he's wrong but he's clearly being informed from his own negative experiences in dealing with the record label.

Dex-chan lover
@Suben To clarify, I'm not saying he's wrong. Labels fucking suck. But his actions and implied motivations are shitty. He's right, but also a selfish prick:

- He said cutting Ushio out of the picture was always the plan. You know, the person who got Kiyosumi into public performances and the entire reason they could even reunite?
- When Ushio left, leaving Kiyosumi extremely upset, Riku threatened to beat his door down. Not out of concern for his wellbeing, but because Riku wanted to keep Azur going.
- When Kiyosumi struggled with the crowds in Tokyo, Riku's response was calling him "Wimp" and shifting the topic to music/work.
- Instead of discussing or offering alternatives when Kiyosumi showed interest in signing for the label, he gave the ultimatum: do it my way or I quit.

At this point, Kotaro seems to have more genuine concern for Kiyosumi than Riku, his supposed 'friend'. Fuck record labels, but fuck Riku more.

Dex-chan lover
This is how manufactured bands start.... and then the members commit suicide before hitting 30.

Dex-chan lover
@cor3zone Well it's perfectly possible he's being selfish but not because he's an asshole. I see it as him being jaded by the industry and he's projecting this idea of purity onto Kiyosumi. He doesn't want Kiyosumi to make Azur bigger because all he wants to do is play music and he sees Kiyosumi, a guy with seemingly no desire to go big, as a way to do it and not have to worry about everything else. Azur (i.e. Riku) can just do their own thing without having to answer to any expectations or demands but their own.

He strikes me as having gotten his dream and realizing it wasn't what he thought it was he became extremely disillusioned and doesn't want to risk ever having to go near it again.

I do think it's a somewhat interesting approach to take though if that's how it's going. Usually in a series like this the label and management would be the evil big men trying to stifle the creative soul and Riku's way would be seen as the right one. But it seems to be going for more of a middle ground approach: that having creative freedom is great but that being professional and having others to help manage and run things isn't terrible either; it's all about balance. Riku and Oki basically represent both extremes with Kiyosumi (and probably Ushio whenever she comes back) representing that middle ground.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, everyone in this series sucks at interpersonal relations so much!

Dex-chan lover
@Suben
he sees Kiyosumi, a guy with seemingly no desire to go big,
That's the thing, though. Kiyosumi wants to go big, at least now. Yet Riku keeps pushing his idea of what Kiyosumi thinks and wants onto him. He's not helping Kiyosumi, he's deciding for him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Azur (actually just Kiyosumi, fuck Riku) to go big. But the way Riku is going about things is wrong. You don't help friends by planning to fuck them over, not showing concern, insulting them instead of supporting them, or threatening to ditch them if they won't do what you want.

A record label would force them into doing things a certain way, or they'll stop publishing their music. The band could still exist, though. Riku, on the other hand, is forcing Kiyosumi to self-publish in a certain way, or Riku'll leave. Breaking up the band in the process. Both sides are using coercion, but only one side is guaranteed to break the band up. And what's to stop Riku from going all 'manager' on Kiyosumi further down the line, deciding what and how they play? With how he treats Kiyosumi, I don't trust Riku even as far as I could throw him.

He's a selfish asshole, and can fuck off. You're free to your opinion, of course.😊

Users who are viewing this thread