Call of the Night - Ch. 196 - The Ocean Rocks

Dex-chan lover
4 chapters left and these last few are not giving me any hope of any kind of happy ending. please let them be happy thats all i want.

Dex-chan lover
Nah, we're getting the same ambiguous "Lets hang out again!" ending like we did before, author-sensei has no idea how to end.

Dex-chan lover
I'm reading this like "Wow, what a cute chapter. Why the fuck are we here, though?", not realizing I missed the previous goddamn chapter. :meguuusad:

Dex-chan lover
Unfortunately the photographs (a moment of the past frozen in time) plus the comment about 10 years can pass and you'll still be friends, PLUS the artwork of grown up kou with piercings are all pointing to a shitty time skip. I hope I'm wrong. Timeskip is the laziest garbage ever

Dex-chan lover
DNbVPJ1.png

that be a real mood

Dex-chan lover
I think they are laying the doom and gloom a bit too thick. Smells like a setup for subverting expectations.

I think that it would be fitting for the series, for them to go through all the prep, have fun, make final memories, prepare mentally for the end, and then the sun rises... and nothing happens. Everyone is extremely confused. The End.

This post is brought to you by copium.

This is the long goodbye 🫂 I can see it. It hurts but so far it have been beautiful. I can wait to see how it goes and how it ends 🥺🥺🥺🥺

Banned
Screencap this i am not coping: This is the biggest bait&switch in recent history. There is no fucking way it will end in anything but a happy end. Kotoyama is just trolling at this point.

Double-page supporter
Fuck I'm feeling so sad knowing that probably this will break my heart, but I still laugh and smile to this chapter

Dex-chan lover
2mantYZ.png

Something about this panel, with all the context leading up to it, really strikes a chord with me. Probably my favorite panel in the entire manga tbqh.
I can't imagine why Nazuna would be taking photos if they're going to do a lovers' suicide but I really can't figure out what else they're up to.

Dex-chan lover
It would be so incredibly tragic if they took all the wrong lessons from Mahiru and Kiku.

I don't think Kotoyama is going to take it in that direction, but I love her ability to surprise me. One thing that always bothered me was a remark that one of the vampires made after she learned about Kiku's death. The one who works at a maid cafe and has the otaku lover. She said that dying with your lover sounded romantic - or something like that.

I always wonder what Kotoyama meant by including that offhand remark. Was it a show of that vampire's ignorance to tragedy? An acknowledgement that there is indeed something romantic about it, tragic though it is? Is it meant to be a statement that average people in some level want that sort of dangerous, firey romance? Or was it completely innocuous?

Of course I could also be completely overthinking it.
Death can be lonely... dying with the person you love isn't, it means your feelings and emotions remain pure, unspoiled to other eventuality. That's what makes it romantic.
If you study the definition of love by people like Shakespeare: love is the union of true minds, unaffected by external forces, it can not be severed (not even by death)... an example of it is Romeo and Juliet.

Now think about what Kou said, if he is turned into a vampire it would mean their love is one sided, or that he is meant to eventually forget his past like any other vampire has done. Their kin will eventually move on, like the relationship between parents and children (someone said that and I can't remember who was). We do have a few exceptions to that, there are a few still in love with their progenitors thought out the series, but not the main vampires... not the old ones. Could you say under that definition they had true love?

Mahiru's and Kuki's death is an example of this. Two individuals that are so desperately in love that even the concept of death doesn't deterred them from seeking such love. In their particular case, Kiku was on her way out either way, Mahiru staying with her is beautiful because, he actively chose to stay with her.

Users who are viewing this thread