Can we get a list of words US culture considers hateful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reu

Dex-chan lover
I just caught a 3 day ban for using a word I thought was innocous and though disrespectful, not a slur.
Now, I was purposely being a cunt because of how hillariously anti-trans that particular manga is, so really I'm not against the ban itself.
It's just with such a diversity people of reading and comenting on manga here, a list of hatefull rather than just disrespectful words would be helpful for us foreigners.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The thought and word police are ever present. Some examples Disney "Song of the South", Tex Avery and most of WB early works. There's a British war film called "The damn busters" that won't be shown again without heavy editing. All because of a black dogs name. And don't get me started with Mel Brooks movies. re: Blazing Saddles.

The thought and word police are ever present. Some examples Disney "Song of the South", Tex Avery and most of WB early works. There's a British war film called "The damn busters" that won't be shown again without heavy editing. All because of a black dogs name. And don't get me started with Mel Brooks movies. re: Blazing Saddles.
the sickness: you are for or against, if you don't care, like me, you are considered as against.
Right then i'm against, I'm not ready to pretend to be for and i don't care about...
A lot a people fed-up that

Dex-chan lover
the sickness: you are for or against, if you don't care, like me, you are considered as against.
Right then i'm against, I'm not ready to pretend to be for and i don't care about...
A lot a people fed-up that
I am against retro-active outrage. How many times something out of the Middle-ages of the USA. Became a problem. A statue, flag or ten commandments inscribe on a bulding plaque. It became such a offend against humanity they were calling for "Drawn" n "Quartered" to be used.

They lost all respect when it became a "CERTAIN" ex presidents fault or Global warming. The repeat ad nauseam proccess. If it wasn't for double standards they would have none.

Dex-chan lover
lazy-george-costanza.gif

Group Leader
I just caught a 3 day ban for using a word I thought was innocous and though disrespectful, not a slur.
Now, I was purposely being a cunt because of how hillariously anti-trans that particular manga is, so really I'm not against the ban itself.
It's just with such a diversity people of reading and comenting on manga here, a list of hatefull rather than just disrespectful words would be helpful for us foreigners.
youre mostly got reported and being reviewed by mods and decided to ban you

Contributor

reu

Dex-chan lover
Imagine using reee unironically
reeee
it's a truncated form of the phrase "the above displayed behavior befuddles, enrages and exasperates me in equal measure, please cease at once"
It's very useful for those ocasions when you feel obliged to respond to someone's shitpost, but don't have the heart nor the will to type out something coherent

reu

Dex-chan lover
Oh, I read that manga,"anti-trans" HAHAhahahaha. Stop trying to be offended for the sake of being offended.
... I just found it funny, though?
Particularly so as a nyotaika apreciator who has multiple times posted wall texts arguing that, not only theres no equating nor any overlap between genderbender and trans-people, but also that any attempt to do so will be harmful to the latter.
The linked panel is basically the tldr of said argument.
Whence why I found it funny

Last edited:
Group Leader
I could be wrong, but in my personal experiences, "cunt" is not as offensive as it used to be, but it still is a pretty strong word here, and it depends on who you use it with. For example, I could never say it in front my sister or my mom (even though I say a lot of bad words in front of her), but my friends and aquaintances were suprisingly unfazed by it. Hell, I think a lot more people say it loosely nowadays. But again, not something you want to say in polite company.

However, I know for a fact that racial and homophobic slurs are absolutely taboo to say over here, and the only people that say them are people who have a contempt for said racial or sexual minorities.
"R3t@rd" is a weird one, because it's supposedly no longer socially acceptable to say, but a good chunk of people still yse it to this day (hell, it still registers in my mind as a ruder way of calling someone stupid). Regardless, you shouldn't use it if you want be on the safe side.

But anyway, just stick to saying "fuck", no one gets offended by that anymore unless you're under the age of 12 or are a super puritan that only consume Christian media.

• Thinking
Reactions: reu
Dex-chan lover
Disclaimer: I follow the mindset of "Stick and Stones may break my Bones, but words can't hurt me" and thus am rather against the idea of word policing in general.
I also follow the "Rules as a social contract" idea, so I will surround any swearword the character in singular quotation marks and inline spoiler them to signify that I am talking about the word and not use it.

Now, while 'troon' is rather obviously a word intended to dis it's target audience, it's also merely a swearword, rude, but nothing world ending.
Might also be influenced by my language, like many others, not even having a specific word for slur as in unforgivable insult, something I really hope doesn't get over here, but I find it rather silly to even do those forbidden words thingies, one can still call them rude, but not something someone needs to be mad about, though a context can turn it into stuff that should be removed, however, the words themselves mostly depend on that.

Also, stuff like 'Retard' is rather silly to me to consider an offensive term, given that it's been around in use as just a crass way for calling someone stupid that it kinda lost all of it's original connections, only for some people getting the bright idea to make it offensive again. I myself am someone who qualifies as the original meaning of the word, I don't feel particularly targeted by it either. If the word is used, I don't see it as a term referring to me and whatever that entails, I see it as a very vulgar way of saying idiot(Which btw also used to mean something bad, but no one honestly considers that now anyways).
Context matters.

Also, the entire replacement thing going on for the swearwords considered offensive is also rather useless. People will know what word you mean anyways, the word will appear in their head when deciphering it, so no one who actually dislikes the word will be spared from it anyways.

Dex-chan lover
at least in my view, said word here is extremely offensive, and I've never seen anyone well meaning use it. granted I frequient my circles, but anyone I know would call it incredibly offensive if you used it
I mean, I can see why the people the word is about can take offense, given that it was a parody of the term they call themselves, but IMO the way to deal with derogatory swearwords is to drown their context out instead of hurting yourself about them.
Words change with time and one can certainly alter their meaning for themselves, use it deliberately in neutral and benign.
Also, this comic panel shows it rather well:
0ec.jpg

Now, while 'troon' is rather obviously a word intended to dis it's target audience, it's also merely a swearword, rude, but nothing world ending.
Slurs are derogatory words aimed at a group. The connotation of a slur is that you hate the group you're referring to. The connotation is part of the meaning regardless of intent- there are unobjectionable ways to refer to that group, meaning that you chose a slur over the alternative. People with prejudice who see a slur think it's okay to hate that group in the places where they see it; the group think they're not welcome, because they're implicitly being told they're hated.

Dex-chan lover
whelp... as the "english" used in the forums is largely western based. The staff should just publish a list of phrases/words that are clearly unacceptable to use in the forums. Will be tedious but at least the staff will draw the line of which shouldn't be crossed.

It gets really hard for peeps who's not from the western side of the world and accidentally used a word they might not know that is a slur or an offensive slang.

Last time I got in trouble was me unknowingly using the word "taint(ed)" to describe something dirty and I got hard flak for it. It's really hard sometimes to start participating in the forums 'cause the fear of accidentally using slur/slang and getting shamed for not being aware about it.

Dunno. Probably will get ignored anyway ¯\(ツ)

Though staff...
C0l5ywyzR1m6y50Ncb11yg.png

we reddit now? :kek:

Dex-chan lover
Slurs are derogatory words aimed at a group. The connotation of a slur is that you hate the group you're referring to. The connotation is part of the meaning regardless of intent- there are unobjectionable ways to refer to that group, meaning that you chose a slur over the alternative. People with prejudice who see a slur think it's okay to hate that group in the places where they see it; the group think they're not welcome, because they're implicitly being told they're hated.
I heavily disagree with that. Every word currently perceived as a slur by the groups that care about that are just that, words. They aren't magic spells that can force someone to be offended, just words that carry the context of being an insult towards certain groups. And reclaiming the usage, as it is called, has already been done in the past: Queer used to be a swearword which would fall under the theoretical meaning of slur, yet it got reclaimed and is widely used among those it once insulted.
Also, as stated earlier, the word slur is a purely english thing. It doesn't exist in my native language and many others.

Off-topic: Hate is rather hyperbolic here, there are far more ranges that are below of neutral in opinion. Being overinclusive in who you consider your enemy is not a good idea, someone just mildly annoyed might grow to dislike the group more and more after they went over the top with retribution.
End Off-topic

Though staff...
C0l5ywyzR1m6y50Ncb11yg.png

we reddit now?
Pretty sure this has been here for a while now, mostly for site things in order to rate suggestions and ideas.

Dex-chan lover
I mean, I can see why the people the word is about can take offense, given that it was a parody of the term they call themselves, but IMO the way to deal with derogatory swearwords is to drown their context out instead of hurting yourself about them.
Words change with time and one can certainly alter their meaning for themselves, use it deliberately in neutral and benign.
Also, this comic panel shows it rather well:
0ec.jpg
in this case it's not an existing word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread