Chi no Wadachi - Vol. 16 Ch. 142 - Back Home

Dex-chan lover
I'm also at around Seichi's age and come visit my mom every week to take care of stuff. It's a difficult situation where you see your parents getting old and weak. It makes me kind of sad and also worried about being left by myself at some point.
Like some commenters here said, after 20 or so years you forgive the harsh situations they throw you through. Had lots of arguments with my dad but at the end he got softer and I kinda made up with him so I understand Seichi's doing. (Though my situation wasn't as bad of course)

Dex-chan lover
I see the author's point, but this shift in tone and plot just crashed in the most monotone way possible.

Sei lost everything thanks to his mom. Now, instead of going NC like a healthy human would do, he's dragged himself back in. I guess the reason this manga is rubbing me the wrong way is because I've seen this happen in real life, and it sucks the life out of the one who's sufferet by the hands of an abuser.

Yes, people come to terms with their abuser and end up forgiving them, but the same could go by going for a NC approach.

By the looks of his other work, the author likes to put the MC in these situations. Just look at Mr Kusakabe. Same shit. There is no underlying message of forgiveness, it's just dragging the MC's balls on glass and making the story as sappy and sad as possible.

And that's fine, but I guess my point is that the manga, having gone so strong with the psychological motifs and gripping readers with the real horrors of abuse, really just feels like it's landing on the most bland, insipid (and toxic) way possible (oh grow up Sei, your poor psycho mom is just a human bean ok?). I mean, that seems to be the purpose thus far.

The silver lining here is that this all points out that in the end, Sei will come to terms with himself, he will not commit sudoku and he will rebuild his future once his past is done for, and this last painfully dull arch is just him making sure she dies... just not in the way us readers want it.

Fed-Kun's army
Oh what the fuck is this...... I guess ill keep reading even though the best route was back in chapter 82. It was beautiful to see them kiss and rekindle what the MC's mother tried to destroy. I should have just dropped it there tbh.

This manga was pretty gripping when it was almost a thriller about an abused child, but extending it into adulthood has made it even more profound. Artwise, this chapter almost looked like an american indie comic, with all the handrawn, scratchy backgrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread