Chi no Wadachi - Vol. 17 Ch. 146 - Living Together

Dex-chan lover
I don't believe he's watching over her as some form of revenge or by any ill intent. In my eyes he just wants to connect with her again to some degree, even if it's through the role of a care giver. I mean you could say he's being the parental figure taking care of a baby who can't communicate by sacrificing some of livelihood to keep her fed and clean.

Dex-chan lover
What's up with Sei? Does he actually care about her, or is he doing it out of vengeful self-gratification?

Dex-chan lover
What's up with Sei? Does he actually care about her, or is he doing it out of vengeful self-gratification?
Probably a bit of both. I think a bit of it is to be there and a bit is to get something out of it. This whole Manga has been alot of conflicting feelings about stuff, so I don't think the answer is as one sided as simple revenge or love. Shit's fucked up.

Dex-chan lover
The page where it showed that Seiko's soul left her body send chills down my spine.

Also, I may be interpreting it wrong, but it seems Seiichi is seeing the act of taking care of his mother as a purpose in his life, which until now had nothing.

But seeing how he's starting to imagine his mother as a newborn baby, which in a twisted way isn't far from the truth, since Seiko can't do anything at all by herself, I can already imagine that her death will bring more suffering to his miserable life...

it’s a shame but this has completely lost the plot. From one of the tensest psychological thrillers to an utterly nothing “slice of life”. I just don’t think there’s a point anymore

Dex-chan lover
it’s a shame but this has completely lost the plot. From one of the tensest psychological thrillers to an utterly nothing “slice of life”. I just don’t think there’s a point anymore
Kinda reminds me of Vinland Saga tbh with its genre shift.

Double-page supporter
Just wait to see what awaits for us in the future. I'm hoping she dies soon so we can move on to the next arc

Double-page supporter
what's the endgame in this manga?
I'm wondering the same thing. At some point I felt like the story lost sight of itself a little bit, and to a certain degree I feel like that largely remains the case. I do think that these more recent chapters emphasizing imagery and ideas related to newborns and care taking, particularly explored in the inverted role of Sei and his mother's relationship, is hinting at a cyclical moment that ties together the beginning and end of the manga - the beginning in the form of Sei's mom's inability to care for Sei in perhaps the way he needed as a very young child (and i mean the attempted killing), and the end in which the roles have been reversed, and it is now Sei who cares for his mom - almost altruistically. There could be a finer point about familial obligation here, but I think to a certain degree the ultimate thrust is that people are ultimately responsible for caring for one another on a fundamental level - failure to do so leads to people like sei's mom, who seemed a bit disconnected her whole life. Sei is actively choosing, it seems, to go against a more pessimisstic end by actually taking care of her, private motivations aside.

Dex-chan lover
At the very most he still care his mother after getting mental demage

Dex-chan lover
These chapters' depiction of Seiji watching his mother fade away is skin-crawlingly eerie and brilliant. In the future people will come to appreciate that this is the realest part of the manga by far, I applaud Oshimi for sticking with it.

Double-page supporter
He is literally a mirror of seiko. Imagine him as where she was at the beginning of the manga towards seiichi

Users who are viewing this thread