Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew

Never imagined this being a thing, and I think the the Magicians nephew is the best book out of the 7, also it’s a prequel so it doesn’t really spoil anything, just gives background on the the Origin of a few things.

Well, the novel is older than the isekai genre but technically it is the origin of all isekais.

Dex-chan lover
“Chronicles of Narnia, tags: isekai” has blown my mind WIDE open. For the first time I’m truly seeing.

@C3katana oh dang, John Carter too. That’s even got the ‘fell asleep in a cave, woke up in a different world,’ which is almost as ubiquitous as the truck accident premise. A John Carter manga would rule.

This was the best book from Chronicles of Narnia, glad it was adapted to manga. The art is so gorgeous

Aggregator gang
Wow, I've literally just read all seven books from the Chronicles of Narnia for the first time last month, and now I see the first (chronological) book has a manga adaptation! ☆▪☆
The seven books in publication order (and chronological):
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950) (Chronologically 2nd)
Prince Caspian (1951) (Chronologically 4th)
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952) (Chronologically 5th)
The Silver Chair (1953) (Chronologically 6th)
The Horse and His Boy (1954) (Chronologically 3rd)
The Magician's Nephew (1955) (Chronologically 1st)
The Last Battle (1956) (Both published and chronologically the last)
I read them in chronological order. :>

Given that this book (and the whole series) is, like all of Lewis’ fiction, an explicitly Christian parable, the tags applied here are a bit off-putting. I know that ‘isekai’ and ‘fantasy’ and ‘magic’ all have specific meanings, but in the context of current manga they carry a lot of unfortunate baggage.

Aggregator gang
In some ways Narnia was one of the first isekais. That and John Carter from mars
Can the Barsoom series be considered isekai? After all, it's a trip to another planet, which is still in our universe, still our world. Like Uncle Andrew says here in Chapter 4. xD
I think the first "isekais" are Alice in Wonderland (1865) and The Wizard of Oz (1900). If we don't count the Barsoom books (with the first in 1912), that would make the start of the Chronicles of Narnia (1950) the third western "trip to another world" story.

ivv

Dex-chan lover
NARNIA LET GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fed-Kun's army
heretical.
western publication being disguised as a japanese manga.

Contributor
I don’t know what happened to this series, but some time this year it was deleted from ebook stores like BookWalker and Amazon, which is a pity as I only ever got the first volume. It’s not like the publisher went under as BW has their other titles, nor have they lost the license as they’re publishing the Narnia novels in Japanese.

Dex-chan lover
The Biscuit!? Wait!? WHAT!? The only Isekai I ever read! Is truly now a manga!?

Contributor
I don’t know what happened to this series, but some time this year it was deleted from ebook stores like BookWalker and Amazon, which is a pity as I only ever got the first volume. It’s not like the publisher went under as BW has their other titles, nor have they lost the license as they’re publishing the Narnia novels in Japanese.
This is now available as chapters on “FOD Manga” from Fuji TV, which is region locked: https://manga.fod.fujitv.co.jp/books/T000024/BT000T00002400100101/
The sequel (starting The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe) is also being (re?)serialised there.

Users who are viewing this thread