Class de 2 Banme ni Kawaii Onna no Ko to Tomodachi ni Natta - Vol. 3 Ch. 14 - Secret Rendezvous

Dex-chan lover
Actually that's the reason they gave iirc
Which is why I can't like Yuu back then. You'd think that
she would at least send a text to Asanagi saying she feels bad that the latter couldn't make it. Now, if she did that and Asanagi played along, that would be something different.

Dex-chan lover
Umi remains best girl by a country mile and must be protected at all costs.

This is manga.

She's going to forgive them after they sort of half-heartedly admit it was a dick thing to do and then it will never be spoken of again because it disrupts the group harmony.
Idk, she called out the entire class when they were shit talking Maki, the only one who spoke up about that was her, this might be a repeat of that

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter!

That really sucks. Those two girls are originally the ones attached to Umi, but ever since Yuu got out of her shell of being a loner (after Umi introduced her to the two girls), she became the wallflower. It really is the reason why Umi decided to enter a coed high school instead of continuing in her all-girls academy - which I think is also right since I don't think anyone should stay in a place that is becoming toxic in a way - it is also making her think that Yuu stole the life she once had before Yuu came into the picture. It is also a good move as she was able to find someone like Maehara who is her real soulmate and will bring her real growth.

Dex-chan lover
The fact that Yuu met up with them without Asanagi doesn't feel right to me. Like there is no way she didn't know that Asanagi wasn't invited as they were the closest friends. And if she didn't know, then I hope she will question why Asanagi didn't come or something like that.
She didn't know 🤷‍♂️

Dex-chan lover
I just found and marathon this series and it was really cute. I actually like that Yuu is a genuine nice and caring person who is just oblivious to how others get treated for being associated with her. With these type of stories, a lot of times, the amazing person the main girl is being compared to is a secret manipulative bitch but she genuinely cares for Umi and probably the main character too (assumingly because she sees her old lonely self through him). Umi and Yuu’s relationship sort of reminds me of Chie and Yukiko’s relationship from persona 4, even with one of the friend being the “prince.”

Dex-chan lover
I don't really get this. The other girls want to be friends with Yuu because she's so good looking that they can brag about it.

Okay, sure, doesn't really make any sense but whatever.

But going by that logic, why wouldn't they want to be friends with Umi? They haven't given any reason. Isn't she supposed to be almost as good looking as Yuu? (Very subjective opinion, but that's the freaking title of the manga). Wouldn't having two good looking friends be better for "bragging" than just one? Not to mention that Yuu and Umi are already seen as a package deal.

This really just feels like forced and artificial drama. Unless they don't want to be friends with Umi because of her personality. But then again they already established that they don't care about personality, only looks.

So far this doesn't make any sense. Maybe it will in the next chapters, but right now it just seems like the author is forcing Umi to be isolated so that her friendship with the "loner, loser, gloomy" Mc makes sense. There are better ways to do that though, but whatever 🙄
They're not the one that talked about bragging about being Yuu's friend. The two of them were Umi's friend beforehand. The reason why they excluded Umi was BECAUSE they were a package deal. They wanted Yuu to pay attention to them instead of Umi all the time. Because of this Umi felt like Yuu "stole" her friends and she's afraid of the same happening with Maehara.

Dex-chan lover
So far this doesn't make any sense. Maybe it will in the next chapters, but right now it just seems like the author is forcing Umi to be isolated so that her friendship with the "loner, loser, gloomy" Mc makes sense. There are better ways to do that though, but whatever 🙄
After she found out, Umi starts to avoid them. She just can't trust them anymore.

The reason why Umi move to another school is to completely put distance from them and have a new start. Normally, students from the rich girl school she attended would continue to the same high school because they don't need to bother with entrance test. So Umi didn't expect Yuu to choose her.
Before she leave, she also told those two that she knew they intentionally leave her out to get close to Yuu.

So even in the new place, Umi is still feeling like she's Yuu's extra (such as how they nickname her the second cutest girl). You can see all her anxiety everytime Maki shows interest or gets close to Yuu.

Yuu herself is just pure. She love her friends, and speak out what she think is right.

I don't really get this. The other girls want to be friends with Yuu because she's so good looking that they can brag about it.

Okay, sure, doesn't really make any sense but whatever.

But going by that logic, why wouldn't they want to be friends with Umi? They haven't given any reason. Isn't she supposed to be almost as good looking as Yuu? (Very subjective opinion, but that's the freaking title of the manga). Wouldn't having two good looking friends be better for "bragging" than just one? Not to mention that Yuu and Umi are already seen as a package deal.

This really just feels like forced and artificial drama. Unless they don't want to be friends with Umi because of her personality. But then again they already established that they don't care about personality, only looks.

Not everyone want to befriend friends of a friend irl. Especially in this case where they only befriend "the most popular girl" so they can brag about it. They don't care about anybody else.

Also like you said that Umi being "the 2nd best girl" is subjective. The title can be from the MC's perspective only and the 2 "friends" don't see Umi like that.

This situation reminds me of the popular blonde dude's circle from an anime called Oregairu.

Dex-chan lover
I hope manga won't end before
Maki canivorous behavior emerge. Must be shark movie influence.

Dex-chan lover
Even if not among the level of those shonen battle stuffs, the manga and novel for this seems to be selling well above the survivor line.
So hopefully they will be continuing it.

Contributor
Wow, that stings. I mean, it could still be a misunderstanding (usually friends secretly shopping for surprise presents), but from Umi's point of view that definitely hurts to see.

This really puts into perspective for me why Umi didn't want Yuu to know about her secret friendship with Maki. Their little escapades appear to mirror a reversal of this situation from her past. She might've enjoyed keeping it a secret a bit more than I thought, although it may seem a little petty, but hey, they're teenagers. Not to imply that she was faking her friendship with him or anything just to get back at Yuu, because I do think Umi genuinely enjoys being good friends with Maki.

Dex-chan lover
She genuinely didn't know, I haven't read the LN in a while so I may be misremembering, but her sharing this story will actually be the first time she has found out about it and why Asanagi doesn't associate with the other two anymore. She was under the assumption that she'd be there and when she wasn't she had asked about it. She then was told that Asanagi was busy as something came up.
It's a pretty involved arc in the novels, but you're pretty much spot on, one of those "coming to a head" scenarios.

Dex-chan lover
Which would you reccomend reading, the light novel or web novel and why?
Hmm... I'd say the web novel, if for no other reason than there's currently more of it... Though it's on hiatus (to the best of my knowledge). There aren't any glaringly huge differences that I can recall. You get differentiation in level of written detail a bit, but no particular content variation. The story gets advanced pretty far in the WN, I can't say as to the detail with all parts of the story in the LN, as they don't exist yet. Really it's up to you, or just do as I did and read both.

Users who are viewing this thread