Convenience Store of the Dead ~The Convenience Store Clerk Will Get Rescued in 100 Days~ - Vol. 1 Ch. 71 - Day 71

@Ronanovsky Why wouldn't it be? Besides, she is already distilling alcohol, so whatever she is using to heat the booze she could also use to cook.

@bejad007 It is just that this promised to be a survival oriented manga that started kinda reasonable and realistic, but then did a complete 180° turn with the vaccine and finally sprinted back to the completely ridiculous territory of 'MC does not know how to make fire, but wants to build a bootleg centrifuge'. And that just in 10 chapters.

The kid might aswell have taken her scientific notebook, light it up and she would just go 'woah uga booga big flame'.

Fed-Kun's army
It's a bit odd but fun to read anyway. It's nice having a new goal.

Tbh it'd make more sense if she started pursuing it to stop herself from going crazy, rather than because she could actually make a vaccine from the grocery store. Like how the character in gakkou gurashi deludes herself into going to "school" everyday. But I guess that's a bit too psychological for a survival-coated daily life manga.

Fed-Kun's army
@Myorn Tbf 'survival' in this case is sitting tight and waiting, with a shop full of food for herself her biggest need is definitely mental stimulation. I dont think for a second that shes gonna make a working vaccine but its keeping her sane (somewhat) and she might still learn something useful.

As for the issues with cooking its very specifically rice, and rice can be pretty difficult to cook right (hence why the vast majority of asians have a dedicated appliance for it). It makes sense that she doesnt know how to cook decent rice with the electric hot dog grill (used for distillation) or microwave, but a kid who went camping would have probably cooked rice manually before hence why it seems he can do it better.

The stove isnt 'MC cant make fire', its kid can cook rice but he needs an actual stove. I mentioned rice is a pain to cook right manually but its atleast doable with a controllable heatsource like an improvised camping stove but starting a bonfire on the roof is not going to cook rice any better than a hot dog grill.

One last thing about a centrifuge, idk about Japan but my school in the UK had a few for our high school equivalent (6th form college) biology classes. The thing is damn simple in both what it does and how it does it so provided she was actually paying attention its plausible to me that she might think she knows enough to learn something from using it.

Group Leader
@Myorn @Ronanovsky
To answer some of your questions.

THERE IS LITERALLY A CAR WITH FUCKING GASOLINE RIGHT OUTSIDE!!!
No, gasoline is far too flammable to be used for cooking because gasoline is volatile and easily explode, while other stuff will cause soot that will destroy the food.
Normally, cooking gas or charcoal are used for cooking.
At most, the disadvantage of an alcohol stove is determining the amount of alcohol you might use for cooking.
As mentioned in previous chapters, she used candles to heat up the alcohol, so say what you might, but candles only cover a small area and not sufficient enough to cook food.
Just mind that this is a fictional world set in way beyond some point of the future.

BCS

Dex-chan lover
Damn, the economy in the future must really be fucked up if even microbiologists have to haul ass in a convenience store

@Aquareed
I understand that mental stimulation is important and that well cooked rice is important to her and a possible goal to keep her occupied.

But the complete disparity and luxury of having and using electricity to cook versus using a fuel you have limited supply of and which you obtained through hard work specifically for medical use is just... stupid as fuck.

To me it makes no sense that an alcohol stove is supposed to be more easily controllable than anything she had before (the hotdog machine), in which she managed to distill alcohol at exactly 85°C.

Again: I am annoyed about the complete disparity of being tech and tinker savvy enough to build a distillery and a centrifuge, yet marvelling at a kid poking some holes into a tin can and calling it an alcohol stove.

I might accept that she is going insane and just wants to console and compliment the kid, but still.. then it makes no sense to use alcohol as fuel.

@slime_sleeper
No, gasoline does not explode. It is always an aerosol that explodes in a combustion engine. Alcohol is more volatile than gasoline, cause it is more flammable in liquid form (i.e. it has to be mixed with less oxygen). This is also why E85 is more dangerous than pure gasoline and why cars don't explode in real life like in hollywood movies.

Also
she used candles to heat up the alcohol
But
candles only cover a small area and not sufficient enough to cook food
???
Not only factually but also logically wrong..

Fed-Kun's army
@Myorn Spirit burner stoves dont consume that much fuel, it makes them very compact, lightweight and portable which is why they're so popular for camping. Yes distilled alcohol is a finite resource for her but considering she has at least a shelf of bottles to work with and otherwise only uses it to wipe down and sterilise surfaces while doing her research, I would say they can spare a bit for cooking some good food.

@AHunter
Oh yeah, now that you mention it I remember the current pandemic is mentioned to be something in the past. Thank you for pointing that out!

Dex-chan lover
@bcs
I've met someone who is nuclear engineering graduate who works in a cave as barista

@Myorn a great deal of the discontent seems to be on the assumption that he's burning the distilled alcohol. He could simply be burning the liquid straight from the bottle though.

Alcohol is more controllable than gasoline (and burns cleaner). That's why flaming foods can be a thing. We also don't know if he mixed it with a medium to make it even more controlled (I don't know if such a thing would be possible with gasoline).

She originally cooked her food in a microwave/oven (combo?) but she discarded that after dropping it in the zombie.

As for candles lighting a smaller area than a stove - to me or appeared to be candles of a similar size to birthday candles, which would indeed have a small area, but I could be wrong.

Makes perfect sense! There are tons of smoke detectors in the forest so obvs he knows how to make a stove from one. (ignoring the fact I've never once seen one made of anything other than plastic)

Users who are viewing this thread