Creepy Cat - Vol. 3 Ch. 224 - Beckoning Cat

Dex-chan lover
Ah my favourite hellish creature, the "Nuer".

Also I like to think Flora brought the giant gold coin fully intending for Creepy to beckon visitors over

Dex-chan lover
Fun fact: The last panel creepy cat resemble japanese iconic "lucky cat"
This is the closest image I could get
images

Group Leader
@Hacete actually the "Maneki-neko" or "Beckoning cat" is the name of it and frequently mistaken for being Chinese in origin rather than Japanese, and is incorrectly referred to as a "Chinese lucky cat" or jīnmāo ("golden cat").

Dex-chan lover
@Darthskippy Oh! My bad. Thanks for correcting me.
I frequently see it in shows and displays a lot so, assumed it to origin there.😅

Group Leader
@Hacete I think its mostly a western thing of calling it a lucky cat, even I didn't know it wasn't called that till I did this page.

Dex-chan lover
NUER.

According to this, there are several different types of Maneki Neko and White ones represent Purity & Happiness. Also when it has it's left paw raised (like in the last panel) it's meant to invite people or customers into business. Good for Maneki Meawbin helping.

Dex-chan lover
@Darthskippy I suspect that may because Chinese people (at least in the US) have adopted it and use it. There's a Chinese buffet near me that has four of them on the counter at the register. And there was another one that closed years ago that had even more, around ten of them. On the other hand, none of the Japanese steak houses around here have them, so it's easy to see why someone would assume it's a Chinese thing based on that.

@manabi Yep, you'll find them in different shapes and sizes sitting around in shops owned by people of Chinese ethnicity here in Southeast Asia. Some have such adorable designs 🥺

Users who are viewing this thread