Dai Dark - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - Galactic School Days

Dex-chan lover
I never realized the Loli Forehead universe, All-in-one girlfriend, Zombie Ahegao and Mr Skeletal in Space shared the same publisher

XL

Dex-chan lover
That was pretty interesting. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Double-page supporter
It's interesting, I grant you, but I'm getting a serious "this is the sci-fi space future so I'm just going to draw whatever looks neat and make up explanations at random which may even contradict each other" vibe.

Dex-chan lover
And his best friend, Garlic Bread!

I hated taking the school mass-of-fleshy-pseudopods. Glad those days are past

Fed-Kun's army
@ZeeVee So I'm going to just assume you've never read Dorohedoro? She's pretty good at explaining things without contradicting her previously established rules and ideas. Dorohedoro was a really long series and it's one of the most bizarre manga out there.

Also she isn't just "making whatever looks neat because lol sci-fi setting", or whatever logic you're going off of there. She in general draws whatever she wants anyways, she's someone that seems to really just have fun with her work. I'll give you that sometimes there's a couple of visual things that don't make a ton of sense logically, that she might have made because they look cool. Does it really matter? No in opinion. She knows how to make an interesting world with crazy characters and insane adventures, where most things make sense within that world's own logic.

Just enjoy the ride.

Edit: I'm mainly trying to say Dorohedoro wasn't a sci-fi series and was very similar to this in style, both visually and in it's writing. She draws a lot of crazy and cool things, with very strange and out there explanations. So this manga is nothing out of the norm for her, that's why I assume you haven't read Dorohedoro. If you had you'd be familiar and used to her work by now. Dorohedoro was a series that took 18 years for her to complete, plus she's done some other work. So she's really not some newbie author that has no idea what she's doing.

Hayashida sure loves her HR Giger-esque Eldritch landscapes. Everything is so bony and fleshy~

Also, Meatball and Spaghetti <3

Double-page supporter
@HauntedPizza:

Yes, I’ve read Dorohedoro. It, too, was interesting, but had a strong vibe of “I’m making this up as I go along and just drawing whatever looks neat at the moment”. It left a huge number of questions unanswered at the end, which is bad storytelling. (Among them: the proto-Hole-Demon-Kaiman-Crosseye-thing with the tubes can sense demonic power, in order to attack magic users, which means that the Hole Demon presumably can, too, so why doesn't it attack demons as well as magic-users, or at least shun them? Nikaido's magic is time travel and she can change the past if need be, so why do they take the trouble to deliberately set up the past to match their experiences instead of giving themselves advance warning of what's going on? Half the characters are either dead or near-dead in the final storyline and we never really hear what happens to several of them — why not?) In a fantasy setting, that may be a little annoying but it can be excused, because if magic followed everyday logic it wouldn't be magic, it would be physics. But in a sci-fi setting it gets old really fast when the author hand-waves away everything with “it's something we haven't discovered yet”. I mean, yes, hard vs. soft sci-fi, but this is pushing out the other side of soft into intangible really fast.

Dex-chan lover
Meatballs and spaghetti sandwich, chapter 3, and i already relate to the main character on a spiritual level!

Fed-Kun's army
@ZeeVee Well I'm going to disagree with you on Dorohedoro and I don't think it's poorly written. Also if you think she's a bad writer then why are you here? And why did you read all of Dorohedoro? I'm very confused. You could read something that you don't hate...unless you just "hate read" all of her works. Which I'll never understand people that hate-read/watch/listen/play so fourth.

Also I think I agree with @stray_dog_, this is very much space fantasy.

Edit: Notably I think Dorohedoro did a great job with the mystery, connecting things together, and having the whole thing connect by the end. Not every single tiny detail has to be explained, somethings can just be mysterious. I think it's just weirdly rude to assume the author is just winging it. Fine if you disagree with me, but that's all I'm saying on the subject matter because I know how pointless arguments with people on here are.

Users who are viewing this thread